Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: need advice..,

Newbie (Restricted Access) gorgeous_lala's Avatar

need advice..,

hi.., i would like to ask.., if i work in UK as a caregiver.., will i be able to send my brother and sister to school in the Philippines and possibly give my grandmother a more comfortable life??? need help.. pls... tnx!!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgeous_lala View Post
    hi.., i would like to ask.., if i work in UK as a caregiver.., will i be able to send my brother and sister to school in the Philippines and possibly give my grandmother a more comfortable life??? need help.. pls... tnx!!
    Caregivers do not tend to earn much more than the minimum wage in the UK and if you are on a student visa you should be only working 20 hours a week during term time, full-time during the rest of the year. If you live very cheaply in the UK then you should be able to have some spare money to send home, but don't expect to be be able to send large amounts as the UK is much more expensive than than the Philippines.

thanks for the info. darren-b.. do you know if its easy to find part-time jobs there??? =)

thanks for the info darren-b.., do you know if i can easily find part-time jobs there??? =)

Do you intend to try to come to the UK as a student or just to work here as a caregiver. If you intend to come here as a student you are only allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week and if you intend to come here just to work as a caregiver, I think you will find it impossible to get a visa for a low skilled job such as caregiver as the UK only accepts highly skilled migrants these days.
    Iain.

Respected Member
    thanks for the info. darren-b.. do you know if its easy to find part-time jobs there??? =)
    The job market isn't great in the UK at the moment, though as caregiver jobs tend to not be that desirable (because of hours, money and the role you actually do) they are easier to get than a lot of jobs.

Respected Member
    If you lived cautiously, you might be able to send 10,000 back a month, but you have to factor into your equations the higher cost of living in the UK. Particularly when you first arrive and you have to learn the prices and costs. Food can be quite expensive, but if you plan your week and use the market and shops like Aldi and Netto whilst buying rice in bulk from the asian supermarkets, you can live very well for very little. Then living in England you have higher energy costs because of heating and lights when its dark, so that can be upto 20,000 php per month here, then because its cold you need lots of clothes which then costs you more. Public Transport is quite pricy here, about 200-300 php for a return bus ticket. But if you are cautious you can cut your costs...
    The grass isn't always greener on the other side...

rules are changing.i read in the ukba website that students will be allowed to work for 10 hours during term time only.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...r-foreign-stud

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by estherboaz View Post
    rules are changing.i read in the ukba website that students will be allowed to work for 10 hours during term time only.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...r-foreign-stud
    I don't think that will apply to anyone who was granted a visa prior to the new rules coming into force. Might though apply when visas are renewed.

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    I don't think that will apply to anyone who was granted a visa prior to the new rules coming into force. Might though apply when visas are renewed.
    from the 3rd of march the new restrictions apply. 1wk tomorrow

Thread Information