Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: IP Banning

IP Banning

I wish to course this question to the Admin and walerob who posted - Racist Language and quoting "will not be tolerated on this forum, and abusers will have their IP banned and their ISP & email provider informed"

Having limited rights/privileges to ask walesrob direct, I am posting it here.

I totally agree/abide and that there should be sanctions to those who abuses freedom and free speech. My question is concerning the banningg of IP.

It's quite hypothetical coz no incident like that transpired yet ... but supposing one acquaintace came around to use my PC. We may be both members of this Forum and aware of it or maybe not. Now, he/she posted a foul language which is breaking the rules/guideline here.

If I would base it on thread post. I will be punished for something
    I have not committed, by banning of my IP, right? Of course, this can be avoided by not letting someone use my PC but what if one did. I will be cut off and recorded guilty of someting I have no knowledge about/I have not done?

Just a question bosses ... maybe a question by some others too ...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bless.books View Post
    I wish to course this question to the Admin and walerob who posted - Racist Language and quoting "will not be tolerated on this forum, and abusers will have their IP banned and their ISP & email provider informed"

Having limited rights/privileges to ask walesrob direct, I am posting it here.

I totally agree/abide and that there should be sanctions to those who abuses freedom and free speech. My question is concerning the banningg of IP.

It's quite hypothetical coz no incident like that transpired yet ... but supposing one acquaintace came around to use my PC. We may be both members of this Forum and aware of it or maybe not. Now, he/she posted a foul language which is breaking the rules/guideline here.

If I would base it on thread post. I will be punished for something
    I have not committed, by banning of my IP, right? Of course, this can be avoided by not letting someone use my PC but what if one did. I will be cut off and recorded guilty of someting I have no knowledge about/I have not done?

Just a question bosses ... maybe a question by some others too ...
    Only Keith is able to ban IP's, moderators don't have keys to the engine room.

Should the situation you describe happen, send a message to Keith, I'm sure he'll understand.

Salamat.

Banned
    Hi,

I am not a moderator, but I would have thought the answer to this is to be careful letting other people use your PC.

You have to log on and if there is any chance that others will log on using your username, it would be prudent to make sure that you are not logged on automatically.

If you allow anyone to use your PC, be careful that they will not be able to get up to mischief.

Of course, these days with Windows, we can log on to a user account with a password. When we have finished our time on the PC, we should log off.
    This way, other people cannot get access to your personal files and have access to your id on forums and such-like.

Quite simple to answer really, I would imagine it is against the forum rules to allow anybody to use your login either with or without your knowledge. period.

Do so at your own risk.........

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post
    Quite simple to answer really, I would imagine it is against the forum rules to allow anybody to use your login either with or without your knowledge. period.

The point Bless made was, not about letting someone else use ones login, it was if someone else used say your PC, logged in, in their name, and were banned. That would cause your IP to be banned.

(I know a bit about this as I have recently been banned from an ex-pat forum for disagreeing with a moderator. Almost all my posts were based on my experience of 30 years as a CID officer in UK, 15 years working with the police in Spain, and being a resident in Spain for 22 years, and were to assist people with problems of move to, or living in Spain. My position is under revue by the Admin on that forum. But in the meantime no one else can log in to that forum on my PC, including my wife on her laptop, same router).

The suggested version was 2 sepperate user ID 1 PC
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    Keith, sorry I don't understand, are you saying there is a way to avoid the problem?

In the case I mentioned, not this forum but I guess the same would apply. if my wife and I have two IDs, but use the same PC or in our case the same router, I understood that if my IP (Internet Protocol) was banned that would apply to all other computers on the same router. Am I wrong on that ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Keith, sorry I don't understand, are you saying there is a way to avoid the problem?

In the case I mentioned, not this forum but I guess the same would apply. if my wife and I have two IDs, but use the same PC or in our case the same router, I understood that if my IP (Internet Protocol) was banned that would apply to all other computers on the same router. Am I wrong on that ?
    John is right - an IP is assigned to each connection so 2 users on the same PC will have the same IP.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
    John is right - an IP is assigned to each connection so 2 users on the same PC will have the same IP.
    Rob, thanks for that, I wish I had been wrong

We only ban IP's for persistent offenders, most cases are just a username ban.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Hi John I hadnt seen your post till now it was both of us posting together

As to you question Im not a tecky but there is something called a proxy which might avoid that as it cloak the point of origion handy if you want access say to a site in the states that doesnt allow access from the UK

I also had an issue with my laptop loggin on to a wireless router (shared provider) and the way round that was my tecky oppo "assigned"/"forced" an ip dont know the implicatiopns of that but someone here probably will
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Only Keith is able to ban IP's, moderators don't have keys to the engine room. Should the situation you describe happen, send a message to Keith, I'm sure he'll understand. Salamat.
    Hello walesrob! Many thanks ...

[QUOTE=aposhark;206844]Hi, I am not a moderator, but I would have thought the answer to this is to be careful letting other people use your PC.

Hello aposhark! Thanks for your input Yes, I do log out everytime once over. My question was a case where I have no control all the time such as when it is lent to someone. I just wonder of the coincidence of being both members of this forum and using the same PC where there is only one IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve.r View Post

Hello Steve.r! You answer made me all the more confused, thanks anyway.

I think I should re-phase my question? Websites such as Yahoo/Google/Facebook for example can take in as many usernames/sign ups using only one computer. I don't know how things work behind PC, but as far as I know, there is only one IP for every computer ... Anyway, I've got the answer to my question ...

The point Bless made was, not about letting someone else use ones login, it was if someone else used say your PC, logged in, in their name, and were banned. That would cause your IP to be banned. (I know a bit about this as I have recently been banned from an ex-pat forum for disagreeing with a moderator. Almost all my posts were based on my experience of 30 years as a CID officer in UK, 15 years working with the police in Spain, and being a resident in Spain for 22 years, and were to assist people with problems of move to, or living in Spain. My position is under revue by the Admin on that forum. But in the meantime no one else can log in to that forum on my PC, including my wife on her laptop, same router).
    Hello johncar54! Oh, I am so late to read your post. I just replied to Steve.r and am so delighted that you understand what I am trying to say. It is not really easy to decline lending PC.

I hope you are all okay with your situation now. And many many thanks

Hello again walesrob! this topic has lead us (here home) discussing further on this topic which is quite an interesting one and very informative !!!!

Hello keith! Now, it is has become very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    We only ban IP's for persistent offenders, most cases are just a username ban.
    Hello Win2Win! many thanks for your answer ...

Hi John I hadnt seen your post till now it was both of us posting together As to you question Im not a tecky but there is something called a proxy which might avoid that as it cloak the point of origion handy if you want access say to a site in the states that doesnt allow access from the UK I also had an issue with my laptop loggin on to a wireless router (shared provider) and the way round that was my tecky oppo "assigned"/"forced" an ip dont know the implicatiopns of that but someone here probably will
    Hello keithAngel! I am replying to everyone here (one by one) and it is very interesting to learn more about this. I am self-taught on a lot of things concerning PC, so am no real expert at all ... I wish for more infos and I wil be hanging on here ...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bless.books View Post
    ... I wish for more infos and I wil be hanging on here ...
    Hi bless.books,

I hope I will not be confusing the issue even more but as you are interested, there are two types of Internet Protocol (IP) address: Static and Dynamic.

Static remains the same but dynamic changes.

http://searchwindevelopment.techtarg...520967,00.html

Hope this helps

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    Hi bless.books,

I hope I will not be confusing the issue even more but as you are interested, there are two types of Internet Protocol (IP) address: Static and Dynamic.

Static remains the same but dynamic changes.

http://searchwindevelopment.techtarg...520967,00.html

Hope this helps

apo SHARK

Just when we thought it was safe to get back into the water !

Even Dynamic has clues to multiple signups
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Banned
    You can never be too careful with some of the Miscreants that stalk the internet, not that I'm saying that there are some who frequent this nice forum......

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Even Dynamic has clues to multiple signups
    What about top end proxies?
    Absit invidia

Banned
    apo SHARK

Just when we thought it was safe to get back into the water !
    But sharks are mostly friendly, johncar54.
    Well, at least the ones I have seen underwater..........
    However, I don't really want to bump into a great white

Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    Hi bless.books, I hope I will not be confusing the issue even more but as you are interested, there are two types of Internet Protocol (IP) address: Static and Dynamic. Static remains the same but dynamic changes. URL="http://searchwindevelopment.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid8_gci520967,00.html"]http://searchwindevelopment.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid8_gci520967,00.html[/URL] Hope this helps
    Hello aposhark! Was about to search further info on IP, just haven't set a time ... Thanks, just had a look on the link very technical I need to read this thoroughly ... some of the terms I came across already. Again, thanks ever so much ...

Thread Information