Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Currys electrical's... Grrrrr

Yesterday was that most hallowed of days (payday), and I had planned to buy myself a new laptop. Currently using an old XP thing that gets less speed than a tortoise on horse tranquilisers...

So, anyhow! I popped in on my lunch break to discover a Sony Vaio with the header below it "Grab a Bargain, better than half Price" "Was £759.99, now only £379.99.

Looked at the specs and thought "Bargain"! Had seen it on their website but were all sold out, so I thought this was my day.

It was the last one in stock so the salesman took it to the customer service desk and packed it up. I also bought a copy of Kaspersky and a laptop rucksack. Summed them up in my head to be less than £450 - Within my budget. He packed it up, took my debit card and put the receipt in my bag. Quick service, as I was on my lunch

Happy Days...

Got home, awesome laptop. Better than I expected...

Then got up this morning, went to the bank machine. Virtually cleaned out

In my haste and excitement I failed to look at the receipt. The laptop they had above the sign saying "Grab a Bargain" was a much higher spec and cost £799.99, and with the bits I bought on top my bill was over £860 So after my rent and this little shopping spree, my monthly salary turned to a few pennies....

And so the long haul back to that branch (on my day off work), to argue with the customer services over what they should do. Sadly, at no point did this salesman tell me the price was £799.99, despite my obvious reference to the "bargain", and he was oh so quick to hide that receipt in the back, with the laptop bag, but the actual laptop in another bag..

Finally I have a refund (minus the Kaspersky and mouse, I keep them as I opened them)...

Just got to wait for the 3 to 5 days for it to go back into my account.

Thanks Currys, looks like Comet is my store of choice from now on

Banned
    I'd steer well clear of the lot of them. Currys, dixons, comet, pc world, all run by morons who are out to rip off folks. Shop online, I got mine from Laptops Direct, delivered in 48 hours

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by triple5 View Post
    I'd steer well clear of the lot of them. Currys, dixons, comet, pc world, all run by morons who are out to rip off folks. Shop online, I got mine from Laptops Direct, delivered in 48 hours
    Think I might give them a try

Banned
    but how you going to get online with no laptop

Banned
    I am using an old laptop, XP thing. Pentuim M.. Slow as

But gets me there in the end

Was in Currys myself this week, along with the other big names................and the service is diabolical. Doesnt help that ive just got back from the Phils where service in my mind is excellent. I wandered around Currys for over ten mins and not one single sales assst came to see if i needed any service, and believe me the shop was almost empty.............The other big names dont compare any better either. The attitude generally stinks IMO

Quote Originally Posted by laurel View Post
    Was in Currys myself this week, along with the other big names................and the service is diabolical. Doesnt help that ive just got back from the Phils where service in my mind is excellent. IMO
    Its true I miss the light bulb testing department
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Banned
    I'd steer well clear of the lot of them. Currys, dixons, comet, pc world, all run by morons who are out to rip off folks.
    Not true, and I'd be careful about branding people like that. With so many price comparison websites around, its easy to get the lowest price. As for Laptops Direct, how about Ebuyer, Dabs, CCLonline, MicroDirect, etc?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
    Not true, and I'd be careful about branding people like that. With so many price comparison websites around, its easy to get the lowest price. As for Laptops Direct, how about Ebuyer, Dabs, CCLonline, MicroDirect, etc?
    What's not true You've only got to see a PC world advert to see their target audience are those who know next to nothing about PCs. And like Laurel says their customer service is an absolute joke.

What's not true You've only got to see a PC world advert to see their target audience are those who know next to nothing about PCs. And like Laurel says their customer service is an absolute joke.
    They aren't 'ripping' people off though, people are given the choice to buy cheaper online or a much higher price from a retail outlet.

You actually get a much better deal online and can also research in detail all the specs and compare them with many other laptops and sites. You would find it hard to beat Dell these days though who are offering some good deals during the recession, and you spec your own machine.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Banned
    Dixons, Curry's, PC World - all part of DSG International I avoid them like the plague

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Dixons, Curry's, PC World - all part of DSG International I avoid them like the plague
    You can't really avoid the plague unless you live at the North Pole

Banned
    Your making sweeping generalisations, I could claim all people living in Rochdale are fat and stupid, but you and I know its not true. Of course staff in PC World know something about computers, otherwise they wouldn't be there. As for the adverts aimed at people who know next to nothing about PC's, thats utter rubbish, why would DSG buy prime airtime on ITV just to target "some people who know nothing about computers?" I bought one of the Advent netbooks for £269 when it first came out and advertised on TV, and that was a genuine bargain even for an experienced computer literate person like me.

In my personal experience I've found DSG stores very good at customer service, and at PC World I've returned an item bought in error and they had no problems issuing a refund.

Yeah, PC World are expensive compared to online retailers, but your paying for the convenience of walking into a store and getting the product you want there and then, rather than waiting for the courier to bring it to you in a few days time.

Oh, I did used to work for Currys by the way, hated every minute of it

Banned
    Advent, the notebook you can fry an egg on it gets so hot My mum had one of those and she only goes online about 2-3 times a week for half an hour, but it was falling apart after a few months. Don't know if things have changed but when I tried to find some help on it not even an Advent website

It's like anything, if you have a bad experience you don't go back.

Im with triple5 on this especially pc world what a joke tech guys know .... ...

How about this bargain at pc world a pack of plain a4 std white printer paper only £12.99 lol
    Online for me everytime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lestaxi1 View Post

How about this bargain at pc world a pack of plain a4 std white printer paper only £12.99 lol
    Online for me everytime.
    Laptops - I've had a couple of good Toshiba deals from CCL Online

Wilkinsons top spec Xerox paper £2.17 500 sheet pack

Banned
    ahhh.. that's why more shops are closing as shopping online is better... i agree though.. much better to shop online then go to stores only to be "greeted" by sad and cold sales personnel.. bugger!

ME, too!! And I'm also inclined to go along with what YOU [nearly] said about 'The TECH GUYS'! Buggers charged me £70-odd back in June 2008 ... less than 24 hours after I'd taken out a monthly subscription with them as a precaution against anything going wrong with a new Windows Vista I'd bought from PC World the previous day.

Not being a technically-minded person myself, I was having some difficulty in getting the new computer to function properly. *PC World maintained I would need to pay a call out charge to *them ... because the Tech Guys were under contract to deal with "faults" only, and not 'installation' problems.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    ME, too!! And I'm also inclined to go along with what YOU [nearly] said about 'The TECH GUYS'! Buggers charged me £70-odd back in June 2008 ... less than 24 hours after I'd taken out a monthly subscription with them as a precaution against anything going wrong with a new Windows Vista I'd bought from PC World the previous day.

Not being a technically-minded person myself, I was having some difficulty in getting the new computer to function properly. *PC World maintained I would need to pay a call out charge to *them ... because the Tech Guys were under contract to deal with "faults" only, and not 'installation' problems.
    Now a smaller retailer might have tried to do this as part of customer service

Quote Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
    Now a smaller retailer might have tried to do this as part of customer service
    , Sean ... you'd have thought so!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post

If ever you want any help with pc let me know the problem ans i will see if I can help

If ever you want any help with pc let me know the problem ans i will see if I can help
    Many thanks for the kind offer, Les ... I'll certainly bear that in mind!

Banned
    Ordered one today from them Should have it tomorrow. Basic thing really. 2.1ghz dual core Pentium, 3 gig of RAM (I will upgrade that to 4 myself) 250gig HD, Windows 7, decent graphics for what I need... Photoshopping and stuff! Not a bad price either.

I kind of like Maplins myself...

There are 7 Planes Of Existance:

7 — Material Plane: The earth, where you are right now.
    6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane
    3 — Too mysterious to describe.
    2 — Too mysterious to describe.
    1 — Too mysterious to describe.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    Yeah agreed , but i was always forced to go in for the fancy dress competition as a kid which i didnt like...............or maybe im thinking of another Maplins...anyway Hi de Hi

Quote Originally Posted by nigel View Post
    Owned by the same group as PC World I think, or anothe big corporation....and very expensive.

Banned
    I often buy in Curry's.
    Yes, they are a little more expensive but when I bought my new £700+ HP laptop last month it was helpful to inspect the specs of all the other laptops at the same time.
    I find it helpful to see things out of the box before I buy.

...me and my husband had a bad experienced in buying my laptop,only this month.. because all of the computer store ..(curry;commit;pcworld)..have no stocks...which i didnt experienced in the philippines....always plenty of stocks...
    at the end we bought the display...because they dont have any stocks...i really like the size..a 13.4inches.....ilovemy HPpavillion dv3....it's my baby now..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aposhark View Post
    I often buy in Curry's.
    Yes, they are a little more expensive but when I bought my new £700+ HP laptop last month it was helpful to inspect the specs of all the other laptops at the same time.
    I find it helpful to see things out of the box before I buy.
    Check 'em all out in store then use the internet to get the best deal...... only works if the buyer has a couple of days patience and is not the "I want it and whatever the cost I want it now" type

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Check 'em all out in store then use the internet to get the best deal...... only works if the buyer has a couple of days patience and is not the "I want it and whatever the cost I want it now" type
    My laptop was about £40 cheaper on-line and I think the benefit of being able to take it back to Curry's is worth this amount.

The manager also gives me sweeteners as I am a good customer.
    This time I got £25 off a great Logitech PC sound system....

I researched my laptop for weeks before buying at Curry's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information