Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Life In The UK Test

Tempus fugit ... and, before we know it, it'll be time for my wife and I to be giving serious thought to laying cash aside for her ILR early next year.

With this in mind, she'd prefer to take the 'Life in the UK Test' well in advance ... if for no other reason, than having one less hurdle to overcome as the time creeps stealthily nearer.

It seems the Home Office has published two separate booklets (both navy blue in colour) ... one being the Official Guide [comparable in size to a telephone directory, albeit slimmer] and its companion - of [approximately] A5 dimensions - containing samples of the Multiple Choice Questions (hundreds of them - any one of which is as likely as the others to crop up!).

Her niece - a nurse in Hartlepool - successfully took the test last year after studying the 2007 edition, and offered her aunt the use of the large manual. However, we BELIEVE *there's a 2009 edition available ... which, naturally, my wife would rather have.

Can anyone *confirm this? ... because none of the local bookstores appear to be aware of its existence.

Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

hi Arthur,

please extend my best wishes to Myrna when she take her Life in the UK test..Ive taken mine just a couple of weeks ago and I only reviewed online..and yes Ive also heard there are already some latest Life in the UK test book, http://www.redsquirrelbooks.com/shop...49c4196ee44e63.

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    ... Merci beaucoup, Keith!

Quote Originally Posted by kimmi View Post
    hi Arthur,

please extend my best wishes to Myrna when she take her Life in the UK test..Ive taken mine just a couple of weeks ago and I only reviewed online..and yes Ive also heard there are already some latest Life in the UK test book, http://www.redsquirrelbooks.com/shop...49c4196ee44e63.
    Many thanks for the confirmation, Kimmi ... and thank you too, for your kind regards to Myrna. Also, Congratulations & Well Done on recently passing the Test.

Here was my result from a practice test

You have failed the practice citizenship test .

Questions answered correctly: 11 out of 24 (46%)

Time taken: 06 minutes 25 seconds

Heres the link if you want to try

http://www.ukcitizenshiptest.co.uk/?trackid=002509

Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Banned
    you can check ebay as well..

Trusted Member
    Here was my result from a practice test

You have failed the practice citizenship test .

Questions answered correctly: 11 out of 24 (46%)
    I'll be honest, I just took this test and scored 46% too, in much the same time

Quote Originally Posted by jackson.alan46 View Post
    I'll be honest, I just took this test and scored 46% too, in much the same time
    Yes ... I think most of us native-Brits would be quite surprised ... indeed shocked ... to find how low we'd score were WE to take the test ... without adequate practice and preparation beforehand!!

It just demonstrates how useless most of it is
    Absit invidia

Mostly useless info to learn nothing to do with living here
    Absit invidia

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Yes ... I think most of us native-Brits would be quite surprised ... indeed shocked ... to find how low we'd score were WE to take the test ... without adequate practice and preparation beforehand!!
    Seemingly it's like any exam, being familiar with the types of questions is all important, rather than the day-to-day knowledge that we need to survive in this country ...as Keith and I have just proved ! Multiple choice questions can also be set so that answering at random will ensure a fail ! Good luck to Myrna ...and, more important, Good preparation !

Respected Member
    Hi Arthur!

I booked my test this April. Currently I'm reading the 2007 edition book and I have 2 books aswell, 1 official practice questions and answers the other 1 is official citizenship study guide.

My plan is after reading the 2007 edition book I'll answer the other books and practice online.

I willl be 2 years here in England on 31st of January 2011 and my visa will expire on 15th of April.

Goodluck to your wife Myrna!

7 minutes 6 seconds 54% FAIL!!!

Pretty nonsense questions really, maybe one or two had some validity.
    Would be much better, if they related, to being a good citizen, instead of useless non-information.

before you buy it, have a look online to see if anyone as uploaded it.
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    Pretty nonsense questions really, maybe one or two had some validity.
    Would be much better, if they related, to being a good citizen, instead of useless non-information.
    i think the point of the test is not just about remembering facts and figures about living in the UK, the point of the test is to get immigrants to learn English, many immigrants who have lived here for many years know nothing of the UK and don't speak, read or write a word of English

the test was an attempt at getting people to integrate and learn something about life in the UK, by getting them to do a ESOL English course with combined UK citizenship material or if their English was at a good level just do the test.

maybe it would have been better for everyone to do a ielts exam b4 they come to the uk or b4 they can apply for ILR when their in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i think the point of the test is not just about remembering facts and figures about living in the UK, the point of the test is to get immigrants to learn English, many immigrants who have lived here for many years know nothing of the UK and don't speak, read or write a word of English

the test was an attempt at getting people to integrate and learn something about life in the UK, by getting them to do a ESOL English course with combined UK citizenship material or if their English was at a good level just do the test.

maybe it would have been better for everyone to do a ielts exam b4 they come to the uk or b4 they can apply for ILR when their in the UK
    I agree with you, to a certain extent, but even us Brits are failing as seen above, which shows there is no relevance to living in the UK.
    There are thousands of questions, they could ask, that are much more relevant to everyday life, instead of how many days must a school open a year...or whatever the question was...see I can't even remember the question properly, it was so irrelevant.

I agree with you, to a certain extent, but even us Brits are failing as seen above, which shows there is no relevance to living in the UK.
    There are thousands of questions, they could ask, that are much more relevant to everyday life, instead of how many days must a school open a year...or whatever the question was...see I can't even remember the question properly, it was so irrelevant.
    now would you want to see questions on eastenders,corrie and emmerdale , the pain and suffering your wife would have to endure

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    now would you want to see questions on eastenders,corrie and emmerdale , the pain and suffering your wife would have to endure
    Point taken! .....Is Albert Tatlock still in Coronation St.?

Point taken! .....Is Albert Tatlock still in Coronation St.?
    but ken barlow is
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Many thanks, everyone for your replies and good wishes on Myrna's behalf. Now I know this may seem like a daft question ... but I've often seen IELTS mentioned on this site, and wondered what exactly it stood for. Would someone care to enlighten me?

Oh ... and also ESOL ... thanks.

ielts is the international english language testing system - 2 types Academic or General, tests a persons level of english, testing their reading, writing, speaking and listening skills. doctors and nurses from outside the EU have to take it (as well as others) , to work here. as my misses has 3 times.

esol is basic english course. and you can find places where much of the study material is based on the information found in the books to pass the life in the uk test,

so if your level of english is lower than esol 3 then you can take the course instead of the test.

'Life in the UK' test

You take the 'Life in the UK' test if you're applying to be a British citizen and your level of English is ESOL Entry 3 or above.

If your level of English is lower than ESOL Entry 3 and you wish to apply for naturalisation, you will need to attend combined English language (ESOL) and citizenship classes instead.

Trusted Member
    Arthur, "Joebloggs" has beaten me to it and explained it well
    But please believe me, I was about to answer you because you're normally so helpful to everyone else !

I will add to my business cards

L.I.T.U.K Test (failed)
    Absit invidia

Trusted Member
    I will add to my business cards

L.I.T.U.K Test (failed)
    ...or LITUKT (Associate)
    So far, members have 100% failure rate but we're honest

Thread Information