Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

married & applying for a visa - Passport change?

Hi all, We married in January and just awaiting for the NSO certified marriage contract to arrive so we can apply for the visa to UK. We were originally planning to change the name in my partners Filipino passport but time is becoming an issue!

I understand we can apply for the visa without changing the name in the passport to married name. is this correct? Will it be a likely cause of problems in the visa application if not changed?

If we can apply without the name change how easy is it to change the passport in the UK? Is there a time limit on this or can we just wait for the passport to expire? Or do you need to make this change within a certain amount of time?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebu View Post
    Hi all, We married in January and just awaiting for the NSO certified marriage contract to arrive so we can apply for the visa to UK. We were originally planning to change the name in my partners Filipino passport but time is becoming an issue!

I understand we can apply for the visa without changing the name in the passport to married name. is this correct? Will it be a likely cause of problems in the visa application if not changed?

If we can apply without the name change how easy is it to change the passport in the UK? Is there a time limit on this or can we just wait for the passport to expire? Or do you need to make this change within a certain amount of time?

Thank you.
    You could apply for visa without changing the passport to married name as long as it is still valid.

You could renew your passport in Philippine Embassy UK.the fee is 36 pounds.You could change your passport eventhough the expiry date is still far.

Same with Estherboaz, I applied UK visa without ammending it. I am still using my single name as long as the Passport is still valid.

Thank you this is the route we have now decided on.

Thank you.
    Thank you this is the route we have now decided on.
    Welcome to the "Club" ... by THAT, I mean the "happy band of Filipina wives who did not have their passports changed to their 'married status' prior to applying for spousal visas". No problem! MY wife is one of them. SHE came here last March and STILL has HERS in her maiden surname ... since it's valid right up until 2013 [longer than MINE, in fact!].

Interesting though, that you've raised the issue of a time limit for RENEWAL in the UK ... because I'M wondering the same thing, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Welcome to the "Club" ... by THAT, I mean the "happy band of Filipina wives who did not have their passports changed to their 'married status' prior to applying for spousal visas". No problem! MY wife is one of them. SHE came here last March and STILL has HERS in her maiden surname ... since it's valid right up until 2013 [longer than MINE, in fact!].

Interesting though, that you've raised the issue of a time limit for RENEWAL in the UK ... because I'M wondering the same thing, myself.

Not sure on the time span, but it would be interesting if someone knows.

Quote Originally Posted by estherboaz View Post
    You could apply for visa without changing the passport to married name as long as it is still valid.

You could renew your passport in Philippine Embassy UK.the fee is 36 pounds.You could change your passport eventhough the expiry date is still far.
    I think it's best just to have the passport amended at the Philippines embassy in London, if you get a brand new passport I don't think it will have the visa sticker in it and this could cause you problems at some point. When the passport is amended they just stick the amendment on the second page.
    Iain.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    I think it's best just to have the passport amended at the Philippines embassy in London, if you get a brand new passport I don't think it will have the visa sticker in it and this could cause you problems at some point. When the passport is amended they just stick the amendment on the second page.
    Iain.
    they dont do passport amendment anymore...

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ight=amendment

Quote Originally Posted by estherboaz View Post
    they dont do passport amendment anymore...

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ight=amendment
    Wow, I didn't know that..... Well what do you do about the visa sticker if you get a new passport? Do you have to contact the UKBA to get them to put a new sticker in your new passport or would they return your old passport to you with which you could prove you have a visa to be in the UK lawfully...... or what?

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    Wow, I didn't know that..... Well what do you do about the visa sticker if you get a new passport? Do you have to contact the UKBA to get them to put a new sticker in your new passport or would they return your old passport to you with which you could prove you have a visa to be in the UK lawfully...... or what?
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/wh...a-to-passport/

Transferring your visa to a new passport

This page explains how you can ask us to transfer your residence permit (known as 'leave to remain') from an old passport or travel document to a new one.

If your old passport contains a residence permit, we can transfer that residence permit to your new passport when the old one expires.

You do not need to transfer your residence permit to your new passport. If you choose not to transfer your permit, you should carry both your old and new passports when you travel to the UK - this will prove to our immigration officers that you have the right to be in the UK. If you cannot produce your residence permit when you arrive at our border, you may not be allowed to enter the country.

We cannot transfer your residence permit to your new passport at passport control when you enter the UK. If you can prove that you are entitled to live here, the immigration officer at your port of entry will put a date stamp in your new passport. You must then send us an application form asking us to place a residence permit in your new passport. You must be in the UK when you make this application.

■If the residence permit in your old passport says that you have permission to settle permanently in the UK (called 'indefinite leave to remain'), you must apply for a 'no time limit' (NTL) stamp using form NTL. You can download this form and a detailed guide from the right side of this page.
    ■If the residence permit in your old passport says that you have permission to be in the UK for a limited period (called 'limited leave to remain'), you must apply for a 'transfer of conditions' (TOC) stamp using form TOC. You can download this form and a detailed guide from the right side of this page. You will also need to apply for a compulsory identity card.
    The pages on completing the NTL or TOC form and supporting documents contain more information about the application process. You should also read the detailed guide in full before you complete your form. We will not refund your application fee if we refuse your application or if you withdraw it.

The new residence permit may look different from your old stamp, because a UK residence permit has replaced all former stamp and ink endorsements for permission to stay in this country for longer than six months.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your travel documents are up to date and valid. An immigration officer will decide whether to let you enter the country, based on the evidence you produce.

Thread Information