Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Barong Tagalog

Barong Tagalog

Will be getting married mid May in Western Samar , Civil Ceremony at the local registry office and not sure if wearing a Barong Tagalog is over the top ??

My Missus to be says they should only be worn in church and as i am not a Pinnoy i should not wear one !

Thoughts ??

I've seen a lot of British guys wearing barong tagalog to any occassions in the Phils specially wedding. in fact pinoy should be proud to see a foreigner wearing or using our native clothes.
    Not an expert, I only try to help.

Quote Originally Posted by mistermatty View Post
    Will be getting married mid May in Western Samar , Civil Ceremony at the local registry office and not sure if wearing a Barong Tagalog is over the top ??

My Missus to be says they should only be worn in church and as i am not a Pinnoy i should not wear one !

Thoughts ??
    my hubby wear barong tagalog when we got married and he look very handsome

im sure when you try to wear you like it

Given the humidity of the Phils ... especially in Mindanao ... I wore a plain, short-sleeved shirt and tie for my wedding - which was a Civil Ceremony that took place at the house of one of my wife's relatives.

It was only afterwards, when we attended a [normal] Church Service in her Municipality Subdivision, that I noticed each of the office bearers serving communion was wearing a barong tagalog. And I thought: "those look very smart ... wish I'd known beforehand, what they were called, and I'd have chosen one for my wedding attire!". Not only that, it would've saved me from having to wear a tie in such warm and (dare I say?) sweaty conditions.

Well anyway, a few weeks later, when Myrna & I went up to Manila to submit her visa application, I made a point of purchasing a couple of barongs from a departmental store in the Mall of Asia. They're now my pride & joy for wearing to Church back home during the warmer summer days ... and much admired!!

Anything less than a barong to a wedding and you will be considered under dressed here..
    Definitely NOT OTT!!

Yes you could wear barong tagalog, I think it would be nice to try it.
    Though you do not write books, you are the writer of your life. Because everything depends on YOU.

I wore one at my wedding.

Thoughts ??
    of course you can wear barong on your wedding day. There are lots of british guys here who wore a barong on their wedding day and they look dashing I bet you will be, too and your bride will be extra happy if you do and I also bet that she is looking forward to seeing you wearing one

Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    I wore one at my wedding.
    Yes ... ... I remember noticing that! And SO, TOO, did a fair number of other Brits! Oh ... I just wish NOW, I'd been aware of the existence of such a garment at the time ... but it's easy to be wise after the event!

Some good info there and the descion has been made as i will wear one for my big day , only 13 weeks away and a whole heap of things to sort out !!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Yes ... ... I remember noticing that! And SO, TOO, did a fair number of other Brits! Oh ... I just wish NOW, I'd been aware of the existence of such a garment at the time ... but it's easy to be wise after the event!
    I'm sure you looked fine Arthur, in your short sleeved shirt, with tie, with your pipe hanging out of the corner of your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    I'm sure you looked fine Arthur, in your short sleeved shirt, with tie, with your pipe hanging out of the corner of your mouth.
    Thanks, Simon ... trouble IS, it's a darned sight easier to acquire a barong tagalog [in Britain, even!] than it is to find ANY pipe tobacco in the Phils!

My husband wore a barong tagalog on our Garden Wedding in a hotel and he looked very handsome and brilliant. I wanted him to wear a suit but he keeps on insisting that he will wear no suit but a barong tagalog. So he had one designed made of "pure pinya" fabric embroidered with beautiful patterns. He looked absolutely fantastic that day and he was very proud wearing one.

Goodluck mistermatty on your wedding day, im sure you will look fantastic wearing a barong tagalog.

I wore a barong tagalog two weeks ago when I was married in the UK
    Looked great, and everyone complimented us both on wedding outfits - even the registrars!

Ive seen plenty of pictures of couples being married in Civil Ceremonies and in churches in Philippines with the western guy wearing a barong tagaog. I dont think its unusual at all and looks great.
    'The mind is like a parachute - It works best when its OPEN'

If you find my posts useful, amusing or interesting please feel free to add to my reputation

Banned
    My husband worn it as he said he dreamed of wearing someday.
    And he advised me to wear Baro't saya, a Philippine traditional dress.
    No, I didn't.
    Try it, you'll look guapo.

Thumbs up

Thoughts ??
    Hi mistermatty, First congratulations! U can wear a Barong Tagalog! why not?
    My hubby wore Baroong tagalog when we get married ! and He was really proud wearing it
    Marlyn & Kenny forever

Respected Member
    Definitely wear a Barong. When I first got mine for a Christening, I thought I'd only ever wear it once. But I've used it plenty of times!

When a friend of mine got married on Boracay, the 15 of us Western guys were all wearing barong tagalogs. We looked great and were known as "The Barong Boys"! One guy even got a stylish(?) green one!

Thread Information