Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Salt Shortage

Salt Shortage

Has anyone else noticed that table salt ... this basic, yet essential [for ME, at any rate] commodity ... has been in short supply on Britain's supermarket shelves in the aftermath of the Big Freeze? Why? After all, refined salt has virtually no effect on ice and snow ... and yet, the coarse stuff (which HAD been useful for "thawing" paths &c) remains in stock!

Or could THIS gripe of "mine" be considered another "run of the mill" post? We'll wait and se(a) ... it might not be to everyone's taste!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    has been in short supply on Britain's supermarket shelves in the aftermath of the Big Freeze? Why? After all, refined salt has virtually no effect on ice and snow ..
    I work for Iceland, and the whole company ran out of Saxa table salt for 2 days, our store sold the entire allocation of table salt in 2 hours on the worst day of the snow & ice. Then on the Saturday during the bad weather, we ran out of bread and milk (witness people with shopping trolleys with 4, 5 or 6 loaves of bread ) Why do people panic like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
    (witness people with shopping trolleys with 4, 5 or 6 loaves of bread ) Why do people panic like this.
    because british scared to eat rice 3 times /day!

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    ... Myrna started off eating potato fritters, waffles, etc., as an accompaniment to our main evening meal ... but she's since relapsed into her former habit of consuming several portions of rice every day!

Trusted Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that table salt ... this basic, yet essential [for ME, at any rate] commodity ...
    Arthur's right ..it's essential for life and good health. I won't list here all the reasons. In fact, low salt diets can lead to problems. Salt is related to blood pressure and so people with high blood pressure should reduce their intake, but evidence is lacking that reducing current salt intake in apparently healthy people leads to fewer heart attacks or strokes.
    So unless anyone disagrees, it's moderation that counts Tonight I'm having prawns and rice ...
    Arthur, too many puns in one posting can be bad for you

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson.alan46 View Post
    Arthur's right ..it's essential for life and good health. I won't list here all the reasons. In fact, low salt diets can lead to problems. Salt is related to blood pressure and so people with high blood pressure should reduce their intake, but evidence is lacking that reducing current salt intake in apparently healthy people leads to fewer heart attacks or strokes.
    So unless anyone disagrees, it's moderation that counts Tonight I'm having prawns and rice ...
    Arthur, too many puns in one posting can be bad for you
    I agree I have a friend who does a lot of weight training and after each workout he will eat a packet of crisps to replace some of the lost salts from his workout..

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Thread Information