Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: bdo gone crazy

Respected Member

bdo gone crazy

I opened an account with the bdo bank in angeles city in april.5,000 paso to open. I took out 4,000, kept in 1,000. My wife tried to deposit 5,000 last week, she was told the account now closed cos i did not keep in 2,000. I recieved no notification about this to my address. I in uk now and they telling me to re-open again when i next go there with another 5,000.
    This is very annoying as i cannot now transfer money from my uk account. So please beware if you go below 2,000 your account will be closed.

Did you read the T&C? This is not really uncommon in most banks depending on the account type. The UK is one of very few countries you get free banking.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

There should be some maintaining balance, 2000 is usually just a maintaining balance for ATM account. Savings account should have at least 5k-10k maintaining. It's in the bank terms and condition that you'll have some penalty charge for going below the maintaining balance.
    Though you do not write books, you are the writer of your life. Because everything depends on YOU.

I used to do my Philippine banking with Equitable PCI and they were great. They merged with BDO and it all went down hill. I managed to stay for about a month before I got so annoyed with them that I transferred everything over to HSBC.

I use Internet banking a lot and the crazy thing with BDO is that you cant transfer money to another persons account until you have first been into the bank in person, filled out a form to authorise the receiving account and then waited for 5 days for them to set up that account in your profile

I went through this crazy process with all of the staff salary accounts and after 2 weeks of waiting was told that I would need to go back to the branch and fill in another set of forms Combine this failing (and the zero regard showed for my inconvenience) with the inability to just transfer money to a new account when I want to, because I first need to visit the branch and then wait a week and it was all too much. Bye bye BDO! my

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sheldon1 View Post
    So please beware if you go below 2,000 your account will be closed.
    Did they return the 1000php?

I have an HSBC Savings Philippines account with only 5000php balance, haven't touched it for 2 years. They sent me a letter to notify new T & C's and any accounts with a balance of less than 50,000php will be closed as of September 2009, but mine seems to be open and I'm getting regular statements.

Banks in the Philippines seem to favour only the well off, if your poor, they don't wanna know, and whats sad is that there are no alternative basic banking facilities available to those with a small income. Probably why the Philippines still deals mainly in cash for most day to day transactions as opposed to the UK where most transactions are via debit or credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
    ...They sent me a letter to notify new T & C's and any accounts with a balance of less than 50,000php will be closed as of September 2009, but mine seems to be open and I'm getting regular statements...
    Php50,000 Ouch - That's a lot to just have sat there not being spent!

My wife just opened a PNB account, you need to keep a balance of 5000 php.
    She also has BDO account, but I think she may have gone under the minimum requirement.

Interesting, when we went into a BDO branch, there were girls working there, carrying little baskets, full of 500 or 1000 php notes, great wads of them.
    Openly putting them infront of us & putting them through the counting machines.

The 2 armed guards, on the door prevent you from doing anything silly.

bdo gone crazy ...

... they're not the ONLY ones!!! I would've gone too, with all the falderals involved in Phils' banking.

Quote Originally Posted by liane View Post
    There should be some maintaining balance, 2000 is usually just a maintaining balance for ATM account. Savings account should have at least 5k-10k maintaining. It's in the bank terms and condition that you'll have some penalty charge for going below the maintaining balance.
    Yes,

Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    My wife just opened a PNB account, you need to keep a balance of 5000 php.
    She also has BDO account, but I think she may have gone under the minimum requirement.

Interesting, when we went into a BDO branch, there were girls working there, carrying little baskets, full of 500 or 1000 php notes, great wads of them.
    Openly putting them infront of us & putting them through the counting machines.

The 2 armed guards, on the door prevent you from doing anything silly.
    Yeah, when I went to bank here, no one is on the door,no security guards, no gun from policeman, lovely ! isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by September View Post
    Yeah, when I went to bank here, no one is on the door,no security guards, no gun from policeman, lovely ! isnt it?
    We never had guards here generally on the door, but banks used to be such serious places, with big wooden polished counters...now you go in them & they're very laid back, sometimes even have music playing.

Not really sure which I prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Sim11UK View Post
    We never had guards here generally on the door, but banks used to be such serious places, with big wooden polished counters...now you go in them & they're very laid back, sometimes even have music playing.

Not really sure which I prefer?
    ... the FORMER, for me at any rate ... minus the security guards, of course! As for the so-called "music" blaring out ... a resonant as far as I'M concerned. Gone are the days when customers could consult their Bank Manager in the privacy of *HIS [*not intended to be sexist!] office.

I invariably find myself yearning for the 'Good Old Days'!

But then, I'm very much a product of the "Old School". And proud of it!

I agree Arthur, somethings need to be serious, Banks are one of them.
    I think many of the staff, certainly in mine, are quite rude...I've queue'd up before & then they say "You could have used the machine to do that".
    Well I don't always want to use the machine, arrggghhhhh!!!

Bring back Capt. Mainwaring

Gone right here.

Thread Information