Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question ref changing fiancee's name when married

Hi to all

I'm marrying my filipina fiancee Ronadel on 16th January in England.

In my experience (pretty much all UK based and definitely all Western based) on marriage the surname of the wife changes, but first and middle names remain the same.

It seems that with filipino's the surname changes, the middle name (mothers family name) is lost, and the original surname becomes her middle name.

This seems alien to me and I wonder how this fits with UK legislation and what actually needs to happen.
    If anyone can enlighten me (I'm sure its not an uncommon issue) I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
    'The mind is like a parachute - It works best when its OPEN'

If you find my posts useful, amusing or interesting please feel free to add to my reputation

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarBell379 View Post
    Hi to all

I'm marrying my filipina fiancee Ronadel on 16th January in England.

In my experience (pretty much all UK based and definitely all Western based) on marriage the surname of the wife changes, but first and middle names remain the same.

It seems that with filipino's the surname changes, the middle name (mothers family name) is lost, and the original surname becomes her middle name.
    This seems alien to me and I wonder how this fits with UK legislation and what actually needs to happen.
    If anyone can enlighten me (I'm sure its not an uncommon issue) I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
    That's what my wife did, never caused any problems. I think in fact your wife could choose to call herself whatever she likes.

I'm sure our resident expert (johncar54) on changing your name will correct me if I am wrong.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    My mom is half filipino and she didn't change her middle name with her maiden name when she married my dad.

We live in Australia and Australia has a very similar legal system to the UK. I just think that when mom went around to change her name at the bank and everywhere else they just didn't give her the option. She likes her middle name though and never wanted to change it.

Respected Member
    Only problem my wife had was getting the bank to accept it.

After two weeks I went with her to close the account and they immediately said 'it's no problem, we can change the name on the account'

Our response was to ask why it took the threat of closing the account to get what we needed and transferred to another bank anyway.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Sorry to repeat this yet again, but in UK on marriage it is only a 'Custom' that a woman changes her name. It is NOT a legal requirement.

And again, for those who think it 'proves' a couple are married: That a man and woman have the same surname does NOT prove they are married at all and certainly not that they are married to each other. They might be brother and sister or not related at all.

The usual proof of marriage is the marriage certificate, and then maybe some documentary proof that the persons named in the marriage certificate are the couple in question.

See elsewhere how anyone can change their name in UK, without any formal paperwork, i.e. Isa Berk can change her name to Freda Smith.

I agree with johncar..
    If u will also notice there is no marital status indicated in the passport
    and also it is ur wifes decision if she wanna carry ur surname or remain on her maiden name on her passport..

Although legally you can call yourself whatever you want, there are problems with official bodies such as banks. When I changed my name I prepared a Deed of Naming myself with the proper legal wording, but the bank would only accept one with a solicitor's stamp on it - even though they'd known me for a long time and knew I was me, whatever I called myself!

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Sorry to repeat this yet again, but in UK on marriage it is only a 'Custom' that a woman changes her name. It is NOT a legal requirement.

And again, for those who think it 'proves' a couple are married: That a man and woman have the same surname does NOT prove they are married at all and certainly not that they are married to each other. They might be brother and sister or not related at all.

The usual proof of marriage is the marriage certificate, and then maybe some documentary proof that the persons named in the marriage certificate are the couple in question.

See elsewhere how anyone can change their name in UK, without any formal paperwork, i.e. Isa Berk can change her name to Freda Smith.
    agree! mine im still using my mum maiden name in my british passport and not my maiden name
    all things are possible!

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by English Rose View Post
    Although legally you can call yourself whatever you want, there are problems with official bodies such as banks. When I changed my name I prepared a Deed of Naming myself with the proper legal wording, but the bank would only accept one with a solicitor's stamp on it - even though they'd known me for a long time and knew I was me, whatever I called myself!
    OK it may have been easier for you to accept what (the uniformed individual) in the bank wanted, but there is NO LAW which says you need anything, Deed Poll, Gustatory declaration, official stamp etc, even through maybe a lawyer, who wants to earn some money might say you do.

Had you written to say the bank's CEO the 'problem' would have disappeared.

I had an argument with the British Consul in Manila when we got married (I had changed my name by Common Law 20 year before). I called the FCO in UK, he got a flea in ear and stopped displaying hos ignorance of the UK law,..

When I changed my name the only 'problem' I had was with Visa, but a 'suitable' letter to them put that right and quite soon everything I had (except birth Cert which cannot be changed)everything in my new name, including passport, D/L, medical records and my police warrant card.

Thread Information