Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

divorce registration

so here i am in the Philippines and i have been to the British embassy in Manila to obtain my CNI from there- all systems go, off the the province we fly.

today go to the cevel registral to sign some papers etc and finalise everything before the big day when the head registral says why havnt i registered my divorce in manila????????

now in all my dealings i know nothing about having to register my previous divorce (in the UK ) over here.

i thought that having my CNI done at the embassy was what i needed only to be married legally here

does anyone know anything about this or is this some attempted way to get some money out of me

your advice appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    so here i am in the Philippines and i have been to the British embassy in Manila to obtain my CNI from there- all systems go, off the the province we fly.

today go to the cevel registral to sign some papers etc and finalise everything before the big day when the head registral says why havnt i registered my divorce in manila????????

now in all my dealings i know nothing about having to register my previous divorce (in the UK ) over here.

i thought that having my CNI done at the embassy was what i needed only to be married legally here

does anyone know anything about this or is this some attempted way to get some money out of me

your advice appreciated
    I've never heard of that before, sounds like a bit of a scam...... There are probably lots of Filipino officials who think that if you give the rich foriegner a problem, he'll just put his hand in his pocket and pull out some cash to make the problem go away.

Iain.

i agree with Iain as i intend to get married in the philippines at some time as well as here i have read the threads and there is no mention of divorce registration required in the philippines and this from guys who have been through the process would suggest you ask him for the law or where this is stated and tell him you know of friends who have married with out this and all you require is the CNI try to do this privatly so he doesnt loss face and offer to take him to lunch !!and smile ... i had a big disagreement with PAL flyng from manila to dumaguete at check in i just smiled a lot spoke quietly was very polite (yes mam however....) asked to speak to supervisor and stuck to my guns ended up with smiles allround photographs and no loss of face...a smile goes a long we and sense of hummour...
    it will be ok

good luck regards

jonathan and annabel

Banned
    just tell (and insist) the registrar that it is what the CNI is for... Certificate of No Impediment is definitely telling anyone that you can legally marry... she/he should not bother about ensuring if you are truly divorced ....

guess he/she is plain stupid if not playing stupid .... ayayay!

thanks guys

it is as i suspect -an attempt to exhtort money

the woman in question is the head registral so nowhere to go above her but i will be having this quiet word in her ear

i asked her twice where i needed to go with this registration in manila and she diverted the conversation both times which just make me sure that its about the money and not a real beaurocratic jobsworth

as yet no money has been mentioned but another red flag was she gave my intended her mobile no and told her to call her later about it.

does anyone know of a way of contacting the UK embassy by phone- will they take a call on this matter or will they just wash their hands and say its a local issue?

cni is all you need from the embassy,reading your post it is obiously a load of old these people must think we whiteys are all stupid or desperate. do you have to go through this registrar?

if she is in a position of power, with no one above her, if she sticks to her guns you might have a problem, you could call her bluff and push the matter, or maybe take her to dinner cheap restaurant to talk about it you might find after shes had dinner on you she will suddenly forget it all..... or you could go here you are mam hes 1,000php i will leave it to you to sort out i cant be bothered with all the paperwork ....you really dont need this stress just except the coruption with a smile !!

i had a problem booking a last minute flight a flight normal cost 2-3,ooophp from manila to dumaguete it was late booking but they wanted something close to £150 each !!1

i left sent annabel who came out with tickets at £50 each hmmmm ! sometimes it best to stay out of sight and let your mahal handle it !!1

regards

j and a

just as an afterthought to this

after the ceremony we went to do all the paperwork etc and no mention of this divorce registration at all- i think they were just trying it on

however the council official at the wedding itself who was doing the catering overcharged 500 per pig
    i guess they were determined to screw me one way or another no matter how little

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    just as an afterthought to this

after the ceremony we went to do all the paperwork etc and no mention of this divorce registration at all- i think they were just trying it on

however the council official at the wedding itself who was doing the catering overcharged 500 per pig
    i guess they were determined to screw me one way or another no matter how little
    There is open season on whiteys 365 days a year in Phil...

After they got screwed by the spanish and the yanks for hundred of years, so it will be considered payback time....

Thread Information