Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Question Nationwide - should I speak to bank?

Aida cannot get her money out from the ATMs. I put some cash in on Saturday. She has tried numerous ATMs but with no luck.

Should I go into my local branch to see if the card has been blocked? Problem is, of course, its my card and I am presumably not allowed to let someone else use it.

Quick response if possible please as she is running out of money!

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    Aida cannot get her money out from the ATMs. I put some cash in on Saturday. She has tried numerous ATMs but with no luck.

Should I go into my local branch to see if the card has been blocked? Problem is, of course, its my card and I am presumably not allowed to let someone else use it.

If the card was blocked the machine would probably keep the card.
    Yes, you are right, not supposed to let anyone else use your card....
    I presume Aida is in UK?
    Best bet is to go into bank and fess up, say you didn't realise about the card.

If card is in your name and you have not told bank that it will be used out there then they will block it. Call number at back of your card ( if number on back as with Natwest) and hopefully it will be unblocked by tomorrow morning (her time).I had same problem on my Second visit. Third visit I told bank and........Yes! you guessed it got blocked. Good Luck
    :Yesterday was history.Tomorrow is a mystery.Today is a gift.This is why it is called"The present!"

Quote Originally Posted by dave63 View Post
    If card is in your name and you have not told bank that it will be used out there then they will block it. Call number at back of your card ( if number on back as with Natwest) and hopefully it will be unblocked by tomorrow morning (her time).I had same problem on my Second visit. Third visit I told bank and........Yes! you guessed it got blocked. Good Luck
    If card is being used In Phil then I would say it's def been blocked as "out of pattern" usage, this is anti-fraud measure, as magstripe cards are easy to clone. ATMs can't tell if a card is real or a clone. I would def speak to bank, btw if card was comprised somehow you would have much less recourse with bank on fraudulent transactions because you did not comply with their conditions, sorry to be harsh m8 but I see this all the time in my job.

i lived in the Phillipines for 14 months using nationwide card, and never told them I was there - somedays I went to 6 or 7 cashpoints and got nothing, try the less well known branches - can't think of them but not BPI, Banco De oro or metro bank - like east west bank. It never lasted more than 24 hours and my husband still has my card in the Philippines and uses it about once a month.

If you have an online account just contact them through that and say you are currently in the Philippines.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Respected Member
    Hmm. I have not set up the online account properly nor used it for ages. I could phone them and say I am in Phils? We have had problems before but this looks a bit worse.

if nationwide knows you have transaction here in uk thats mean you are here in the uk but at the same time have another transaction in the philippines thats why they think that somebady has using your card same time in different places so they blocked your card for security reason. let them knows that your wife using it in the philippines.
    all things are possible!

Banned
    My wife has had the same problem since she went back home 5th Nov trying 10 or so different ATM's in different places, I reported to Nationwide straight away and must have been on the phone or into branches 6 times. They pass the buck blaming local ATM's and Visa.

She's on her way back here now and I'm ready to storm into Nationwide on Saturday - I reckon the problem is a dodgy magnetic strip as she can use for purchases without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    My wife has had the same problem since she went back home 5th Nov trying 10 or so different ATM's in different places, I reported to Nationwide straight away and must have been on the phone or into branches 6 times. They pass the buck blaming local ATM's and Visa.

She's on her way back here now and I'm ready to storm into Nationwide on Saturday - I reckon the problem is a dodgy magnetic strip as she can use for purchases without any issues.
    Could be terminals in retail outlets being less secure, if the magstripe is being read OK in shops it must be alright, I am assuming they don't have chip and PIN terminals in Phils? Or it could be that ATMs read the stripe, recognise the card as being chip enabled and can't process the magstripe details,

Respected Member
    Checked with Nationwide. Lady there a bit snooty about me letting someone else use the card. But she confirmed that the money is in and card is not blocked. So I suppose its just down to Philippines banking system. Might have to resort to Western Union tonight . . .

Checked with Nationwide. Lady there a bit snooty about me letting someone else use the card. But she confirmed that the money is in and card is not blocked. So I suppose its just down to Philippines banking system. Might have to resort to Western Union tonight . . .
    Was that with your local branch or a lady over the phone? There should be a special number to dial at least there is with Natwest.
    :Yesterday was history.Tomorrow is a mystery.Today is a gift.This is why it is called"The present!"

Banned

Same spiel I was given - ours is a joint account. I don't accept their line wifes other card Barclays is working fine in ATM's, Visa is supposed to be worldwide. I get a dumb silence when asking for the matter be escalated with Visa. Card hardly ever used but performed OK in Europe in Oct.

Very, very unhappy with Nationwides attitude

Quote Originally Posted by Dedworth View Post
    Card hardly ever used but performed OK in Europe in Oct.
    What i got told was that cards get blocked in known "hot spots" for stolen cards.

If wifey has already been the UK first week she is here is put her name on your account. That also gives her proof of address.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Thread Information