Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006

Multi Entry Visa to UK from Schengen Area

I sent this to an enquiry section of Border Control. I did not get a reply. Having read the preamble again, it maybe that I must make enquiries of the appropriate section of the UK Embassy here in Spain. However, I can only find a premium rate number and having called it before (and listened to the most expensive music in the world) I a hoping someone here can help.

My Question is :-

I have been married to a Filipino since 2006. I am 69 she is 37. We live permanently in Spain where my wife has permanent Residencia status.

We would like my wife to have a multi entry Visa but she has not previously had a visa nor made any application for a visa. In such circumstances, can she make an application for a multi entry visa?

The reason for wanting a UK multi entry visa is that we would like to visit my family, and to break flights in UK for a few days when travelling to the far east. We would also like to go shopping occasionally in Gibraltar. A multi entry Visa would be the most convenient MO.

I cannot find any specific info regarding what we needed for my wife to obtain a multi-entry visa, on line (The nearest Q and A's seem to apply to partners wishing to live in UK.)

I am a former UK Police officer thus we have my police pension and OAP which is enhanced, as I am married and, therefore, my wife has a National Insurance No. in UK and the UK pay for her medical cover in Spain.

We have no desire to ever live in UK, nor either of us to work there, nor even spend more than a week or two when family or travel plans dictate.

Thanks

On the Brit Spainish embassy website it mentions phone calls you have to pay for ( same if i call an EU embassy in the UK from experience im guessing they would argue why should the nation pay because a potential applicant wants to ring up and as all EU spouse visas have to free i think its the way they find to cover some of the costs.

It does mention website and email infomation is free so maybe worth emailling the Embassy.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...swissnationals

Mid way down it mentions eea nationals Dom knows all about these as well as EU residents living in the UK it also is used for Brits Living abroad in the EU.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Respected Member
    Somebody, Thanks for the reply, but that entry on the web site does refer to Non EEC citizens living in EEC, even though my wife has Residencia she is still Filipino not EEC.

Also, all the info I can find refers to settling in UK. We definitely do not want to that.

But, for example: we cannot go shopping in Gibraltar, unless we get a one entry visa, that's an appointment for an interview in Madrid ( 500KMS) over night stay as its a two day process and 150 euros.

WE would also like to take advantages of the much cheaper fares from London to Far East. We cannot book them as part of a journey from Spain and if we take a separate flight from Spain and were to miss the connection we would loose the onward flight.

With a visa we could go a few days early, stay with family, then fly on. Something I did quite a lot before I was married,.

Respected Member
    Anyone who can offer advice please

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Anyone who can offer advice please
    No real advise, but can point you at the relevant section.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/vis...neral#21231581

"There is no requirement for a person to have held a short term visit visa before being issued with a visit visa which has a longer validity. For example, an applicant does not need to have been issued with a standard six months visit visa before being issued with a five year visit visa. Unless there are grounds for not issuing a long term visit visa, the ECO should issue the visa applied for."

I would have thought that you'd be likely to be successful, though £400/£500 for a 5/10 year visa is quite a lot to risk.

as a visa national, filipina, if you were only transiting the UK you can use the TWOV scheme that stands for transit without visa, which basically means you may as long as you satisfy the Immigration Office that you are in transit no more than 24hrs (ie onward ticket, evidence of rescidence in spain etc) be granted this transit stamp wet ink in your wifes passport.... however if your stay is more than 24 hrs your wife requires visit visa rescidence is of no importance its what passport she holds ie philippines, a 6 month visit visa is mutli entry, when apply £65, if you show you married travelling together invitation letter to you relatives your sponsor ship accounts money etc and the length of your relationship marriage and rescidence in spain, i would do this in the form of a covering letter to, i cant see what grounds they would refuse you should be able to do this on line or one visit to the agency (vfs) or embassy for biometrice and to hand application to them ...

good luck hope this helps

regards

jj

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Somebody, Thanks for the reply, but that entry on the web site does refer to Non EEC citizens living in EEC, even though my wife has Residencia she is still Filipino not EEC.

Also, all the info I can find refers to settling in UK. We definitely do not want to that.

But, for example: we cannot go shopping in Gibraltar, unless we get a one entry visa, that's an appointment for an interview in Madrid ( 500KMS) over night stay as its a two day process and 150 euros.

WE would also like to take advantages of the much cheaper fares from London to Far East. We cannot book them as part of a journey from Spain and if we take a separate flight from Spain and were to miss the connection we would loose the onward flight.

With a visa we could go a few days early, stay with family, then fly on. Something I did quite a lot before I was married,.

But I thought EEA visa could be for brits if they lived abroad and there spouse was not a eu resident?

The British citizen is residing in an EEA Member State as a worker or self-employed person or was doing so before returning to the UK.
    If the family member of the British citizen is their spouse or civil partner, they are living together in the EEA country or they entered into the marriage or civil partnership and were living together in that EEA country before returning to the UK.

Maybe it will help maybe it wont both worth a read as the permits are free..

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/eun...ermit#15391463

http://www.ncadc.org.uk/archives/fil...ews17/don.html

nope eea family member is for europeans if they were moving to spain and he was resident and she was joining him in spain then she could apply for eea family permit to do that but not come to england ...sorry them the rules.... visa national coming to england for more than transit needs visa ....just trying to help... if you pm me i'll tell you why i know

love jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan47 View Post
    nope eea family member is for europeans if they were moving to spain and he was resident and she was joining him in spain then she could apply for eea family permit to do that but not come to england ...sorry them the rules.... visa national coming to england for more than transit needs visa ....just trying to help... if you pm me i'll tell you why i know

love jonathan
    From a quick re read

Brits can use if they do want to move to the UK back from the EU with their Partner who is a resident in a EU Country but a Pinay for example.

EUN2.14 Can family members of British citizens qualify for an EEA family permit? ('Surinder Singh' cases)

A British national and his/ her non-EEA national family members can only benefit from free movement rights if they meet the criteria established in the ECJ case of Surinder Singh. The case stated that nationals of a Member State who are exercising an economic Treaty right (i.e. as a worker or self-employed person) in another Member State will, on return to their home state, be entitled to bring their non-EEA family members to join them under EC law.

Example: A British national is exercising an economic Treaty right in Germany and living with his non-EEA national spouse and children. On the British national's return to the UK, his non-EEA national family members can apply for an EEA family permit to join him under EC law.

The Surinder Singh judgement is incorporated into the EEA Regulations in Regulation 9. Family members of British nationals who meet the requirements of Regulation 9 are treated as family members of EEA nationals for the purposes of the EEA Regulations.

Applications for EEA family permits must meet the following criteria:

The British citizen is residing in an EEA Member State as a worker or self-employed person or was doing so before returning to the UK.
    If the family member of the British citizen is their spouse or civil partner, they are living together in the EEA country or they entered into the marriage or civil partnership and were living together in that EEA country before returning to the UK.
    Because EEA nationals have an initial three months right of residence in the UK, there is no requirement for the British national to be a qualified person on arrival. Therefore, an EEA family permit can be issued to the non-EEA national family member of a British national even if they are only visiting the UK with the British national before returning to the Member State where they are resident.

It does not matter if the only reason the British national went to another Member State was to exercise an economic Treaty right was so that he/ she could come back to the UK with his/ her family members under EC law.

The ECO should seek advice from ECO Support where unsure about the decision to be taken in applying the Surinder Singh judgement

The section in bold maybe worth investigating but not something im an Expert on but I have heard of people who mentioned in passing both from work and who live locally who have used the Surrinder singh method as its known. They may have clmaped down recently i dont know..

Thread Information