Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member South-east boy's Avatar

Question Why can't I sign into Yahoo messenger on my PC anymore?

I used Yahoo messenger on my PC perfectly ok last weekend, but have been unable to use it on my PC over the last few days. I have been able to use Yahoo on my phone perfectly fine the whole time. I have also checked that my user ID and password have been correct as well. I have also checked that I have not been signed in to Yahoo on my phone while I have tried logging in on my PC, though if i was it would sign me out on my phone or give a message on Yahoo on my PC that I am still signed in on another device and it has not done either of these.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it just won't sign in as it's very annoying and I must have tried 50 or so times!

Oh great, now it's even worse as the Yahoo messenger box won't even open! I double click on it and nothing!

Turned the PC off and first tried to open Yahoo before any other programs or internet etc and now it's fine! Do you think the problem as that maybe I had too many other things open as the same time? Never had a problem with Yahoo like that before!

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

Quite often a reboot is the solution to problems like this.

Al.
    Pressed rat and warthog closed down their shop!

Use System Restore first.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

What version are you using SE Boy?

Applications get muddled sometimes you are backing up all your archives i take it?
    Waiting for the point where you lose the data is not a nice lesson to experience.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Banned
    Try to uninstall and re-install again and this time upgrade into latest version.
    You can make a restore point/date too.
    Check your firewall.

Somebody, by what version, do you mean what version Yahoo? If so I'm on 9, but am just about to upgrade to the latest version. I'm running Windows XP and Firefox internet browser.

What do you mean by backing up archives? I've just got a new 1500GB external hard-drive which I'm using to keep my photos on (apart from the latest ones) to free up space on my internal hard-drive, but my i-tunes in taking up loads of space on my internal hard-drive as well. Can I move 'my music' that is in 'my documents' (where my i-tunes is) to my external hard-drive? At some point soon, I want another external hard-drive as a back-up for the existing external hard-drive.

Only thing if you uninstall, then reinstall Yahoo won't you lose your contacts?

I had this problem twice. Both times I had to reset my password word with yahoo. Since then, I've ticked to save my user name and password box, and there's been no more probelms so far. Hope this helps

Banned
    No, they'll still be there. If your having problems with ym on your pc you can always login online - http://uk.webmessenger.yahoo.com/

Banned
    Although slightly off topic, I recently had an issue with yahoo messenger on my blackberry. After coming back from the phils, I reset my time. And did not know that on a blackberry the device knows what time the network says it is and if that time differs from the time I use, then it refuses to work..

And as I have left my laptop with Rizza that was a bit of a pain for a few days..

Quote Originally Posted by South-east boy View Post
    Somebody, by what version, do you mean what version Yahoo? If so I'm on 9, but am just about to upgrade to the latest version. I'm running Windows XP and Firefox internet browser.

What do you mean by backing up archives? I've just got a new 1500GB external hard-drive which I'm using to keep my photos on (apart from the latest ones) to free up space on my internal hard-drive, but my i-tunes in taking up loads of space on my internal hard-drive as well. Can I move 'my music' that is in 'my documents' (where my i-tunes is) to my external hard-drive? At some point soon, I want another external hard-drive as a back-up for the existing external hard-drive.

Nope you wont lose your contacts as all you have is the client ie the yahoo messagner on your pc all your contacts are saved on yahoo's servers.

Your archives are for if you wish to keep evidence ofyour chats they are stored if you choose the option on your pc.

Many use both for memories of the conversations you have but also if applying for a visa people save the chat logs ie archives. Of course if your HDD dies on you or gets wiped for what ever reason you may lose them or would have to pay silly money to recover them..
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Nope you wont lose your contacts as all you have is the client ie the yahoo messagner on your pc all your contacts are saved on yahoo's servers.

Your archives are for if you wish to keep evidence ofyour chats they are stored if you choose the option on your pc.

Many use both for memories of the conversations you have but also if applying for a visa people save the chat logs ie archives. Of course if your HDD dies on you or gets wiped for what ever reason you may lose them or would have to pay silly money to recover them..
    Can you automatically set something up to save the chats? As so far I have been manually saving them, but I just hope I don't forget to do it anytime! Unfortunately a lot of our chats have been on yahoo on my phone, which I can't save and it only displays the last so many chat boxes.

Yes, like you say I think I would be a good idea to save my chats and emails in more than one place such as both internal and external hard-drives just to be doubly safe.

Quote Originally Posted by South-east boy View Post
    Can you automatically set something up to save the chats? As so far I have been manually saving them, but I just hope I don't forget to do it anytime! Unfortunately a lot of our chats have been on yahoo on my phone, which I can't save and it only displays the last so many chat boxes.

Yes, like you say I think I would be a good idea to save my chats and emails in more than one place such as both internal and external hard-drives just to be doubly safe.
    Go to "Contacts" tab click "Message Archive" then "Message" and then "Preferences" - there you can set up all the preferences for automatic archiving etc...
    Not sure how it works on the phone though
    Jiri & Maricel

Quote Originally Posted by Ji&Ma View Post
    Go to "Contacts" tab click "Message Archive" then "Message" and then "Preferences" - there you can set up all the preferences for automatic archiving etc...
    Not sure how it works on the phone though
    Thanks for that. Just found out I already had it set up which I didn't know about!
    I now have messenger 10 which says it has enhanced video calling amongst other things.

Thread Information