Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

will a PAL nintendo wii/xb360 work in philippines?

hello,

Just a quickie, i looking to buy my hun a nintnedo wii or xbox 360 from uk and send to her in the philippines for a christmas pressent (awwww)
    will this PAL wii/360 work out there in philippines using a plug socket adaptor? I know our plugs here in uk are 3 pin and theirs are a thin 2 pin so would an adaptor work ? (most of my electrical apps like shaver, chargers work)

You maybe thinking 'why not buy one out there??' but believe me it costs much more out there than here! £136 in sainsburys, so i wanna get in quick before they all go!

Cheers for any advice

Dont know about the actualy game-stations themselves mate,but I have taken original PS2 games out there,tried to play them on a Pinoy machine and the game was in Black & White Your right about the price mark-up as well,why are electrics more expensive in pinas when they are made almost next-door

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

yeh the electricals do cost more out there at the malls, u can haggle at the markets still it can be hard work lol! when i first went out there i thought electricals were going to be cheap! clothes are cheap though i love their own 'bench' brand very similar to the uk bench brand
    (sigh) i have searched on the net an all i get is games will not work! i just like to know if the games console itself will work lol!
    I might just take the risk and buy it for her i'm sure she will love it, we both love our ds when on long hauls on v liner 2 player bomberman all the way!!!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by topbuzz121 View Post
    hello,

Just a quickie, i looking to buy my hun a nintnedo wii or xbox 360 from uk and send to her in the philippines for a christmas pressent (awwww)
    will this PAL wii/360 work out there in philippines using a plug socket adaptor? I know our plugs here in uk are 3 pin and theirs are a thin 2 pin so would an adaptor work ? (most of my electrical apps like shaver, chargers work)

You maybe thinking 'why not buy one out there??' but believe me it costs much more out there than here! £136 in sainsburys, so i wanna get in quick before they all go!

Cheers for any advice
    If it can output an NTSC signal it will work or if they have a TV that can adapt to a PAL signal it will also work.

I'm not a gamer so I don't know the specifics of these devices, sorry.

You are right electronics are more expensive there or you have to buy old tech to get cheaper prices, it's probably just because the market is intrinsically smaller, lot's of people but not much money.

Biggest problem you will have sending it is the chances of it disappearing at the point of import, unless you are personally taking it in your luggage?

Jim

hmmmm her tv is def ntsc but does have scart sockets on the back of it as well as the video out ports.
    I ve sent stuff out there before (i work for a freight fowarder) never had a prob with fed ex! you do have to be careful how u declare the goods to customs though! i sent out a brand new camera declared as 'gift' and did not get any duties or charges, sent out a 2nd hand router and got stung £25 !! declared as router! if i put USED router i may have avoided the charge!
    easiest way is to declare as personal effects, i have blagged my packing lists before

I think i ll go for it, if it does not work over there then i ll buy one out there and bring the uk wii back home and get my money back (i hope)
    Another idea would be to show a store out there the cost here and see if they can match the price, everyone likes a bit of haggling

cheers for ur knid replies

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    ,but I have taken original PS2 games out there,tried to play them on a Pinoy machine and the game was in Black & White :
    because they were pal versions of the game

I'm not so sure its a good idea to send a Pal xbox or Wii to the phils

2 problems - i think they would need a tv that works at 60hz as well as 50hz and also be able to handle PAL and NTSC signals
    some tv's can, i've tried my cam recorder in the phils, some a just got a black and white scrolling picture, on some a got a black and white picture. i dont think i got a color picture on the few i tried

you can try and buy a PAL to NTSC converter if it didn't work on her tv , but even that might not work depending on the tv she has.

another problem is getting the games, they would have to be pal versions or region free versions, and as the phils is ntsc or they would need converting if they were copied ones

also how many pinoys (or even brits ??) could afford to pay £30+ for a game

i think it would be a lot less hassle and could be cheaper in the long run if you bought one in the phils

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    because they were pal versions of the game

I'm not so sure its a good idea to send a Pal xbox or Wii to the phils

2 problems - i think they would need a tv that works at 60hz as well as 50hz and also be able to handle PAL and NTSC signals
    some tv's can, i've tried my cam recorder in the phils, some a just got a black and white scrolling picture, on some a got a black and white picture. i dont think i got a color picture on the few i tried

you can try and buy a PAL to NTSC converter if it didn't work on her tv , but even that might not work depending on the tv she has.

another problem is getting the games, they would have to be pal versions or region free versions, and as the phils is ntsc or they would need converting if they were copied ones

also how many pinoys (or even brits ??) could afford to pay £30+ for a game

i think it would be a lot less hassle and could be cheaper in the long run if you bought one in the phils
    A lot of the newer tele's out there can handle both Joe, ours does even our old tele did as well, plus the devices themselves can often be configured to output a different signal.

I'm sure someone out there will have an industry in pirate wii games

I tend to agree with you though, less hassle to buy out there.

Jim

This is what you do add the price of the console/game to the Fedex total + packing, etc, convert it to Peso, and tell those at the other end to haggle to that price or within a fixed amount.

I wouldn't send one from here, they need a new power adapter and TV, or a PAL-NTSC converter, which all add to the total costs again.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by JimOttley View Post
    A lot of the newer tele's out there can handle both Joe
    i should have said that was more than 5yrs ago, yes if your tv is only a few years old and even better if its not a crt more chance it will be ok

but still a problem with the games

also if you update a wii with the wrong region firmware, it could well end up as a brick

hello,

Cheers for any advice
    Apart from all the compatibility issues, unless you send by a reliable courier (which would cost a lot of money) it's not likely to arrive and even if it did get there she'd probably be charged a fortune in duty when she went to collect it. When it comes to duty charges they seem to make it up as they go along in the Philippines, my wife was charged P650 when she went to collect a boxed Christmas card that I sent her!

Iain.

just get a machine out there and buy cheap fake games.

we saw a shop like GAME and went into,to check what they sold and guess what?,it was all fake games

so i checked at SM for real games apart costing almost the same as here,they are all in the NTSC format.

btw dont go online and play with fake games.
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

heh! yeh i did see a lot of hookie games out there mainly in olongapo when i was browsing for dvds! I think some are region free which would work on any format BUT u need to MOD the wii in order for the games to work ...tut tut
    I know the score in regards to modding and the pit falls when forcing a region change as well as avoiding online updates! Plus plenty of people here are at it anyway, its not really rocket science!

@win2win,
    Might just get one out there, it does make sense than getting adaptors and god knows what else for it to work!. looking at it it is a big risk and a lot of hassle trying to get a UK wii to work over there and i hate to see her disapointed on xmas day should it fail to work properly.....

Thanks to everyone for ur advice

Sorry to make u all scratch yer heads on this one!

Respected Member
    heh! yeh i did see a lot of hookie games out there mainly in olongapo when i was browsing for dvds! I think some are region free which would work on any format BUT u need to MOD the wii in order for the games to work ...tut tut
    I know the score in regards to modding and the pit falls when forcing a region change as well as avoiding online updates! Plus plenty of people here are at it anyway, its not really rocket science!

@win2win,
    Might just get one out there, it does make sense than getting adaptors and god knows what else for it to work!. looking at it it is a big risk and a lot of hassle trying to get a UK wii to work over there and i hate to see her disapointed on xmas day should it fail to work properly.....

Thanks to everyone for ur advice

Sorry to make u all scratch yer heads on this one!
    Exactly Keith is quite right, add in the shipping and at the current exchange rate it doesn't look so good a deal.

This applies to most things electronic over there, almost always easier to buy there, occasionally though I have taken computer parts so that I could build or upgrade a PC over there, main reason being I could get more modern kit for much less than it costs in the Phils as per your original point.

Only works if you take it on your flight.

Jim

I took a whole PC over once and the wife took a stereo
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    I took a whole PC over once and the wife took a stereo
    I took a plane far quicker
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Thread Information