Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Church weddings - philippines

Hi everyone,
    recently had a short trip to Tacloban and then Cebu to visit the CFO which was a success. Missing my wife now i am back home though! next step is to do the Visa.

Anyway from a recent online conversation my wife (we had a civil wedding in August) always dreamed of a church wedding . What i would like to know is if anyone out there has any idea of the costs involved if marrying in a catholic church out there. i know its still possible to have a church wedding after a civil wedding if u want as the civil isnt recognised by the church.

I know this is very important to her and therefor important to me so any information would be useful.

Thanks

It is not expensive, I guess you already have the wedding dress etc.
    It is the planning and preparation, that is time consuming.
    Are you catholic ?
    JOHN and VANESSA

Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    It is not expensive, I guess you already have the wedding dress etc.
    It is the planning and preparation, that is time consuming.
    Are you catholic ?
    Thanks for your response

How much is not expensive?
    No we dont have a wedding dress etc
    I'm not a catholic....but i dont think that matters?
    Just hoping to get an idea from others who may have got married in a church

Its not expensive,I went to a tricycle drivers wedding,he had it in a church and he is as poor as the proverbial church mouse,but what a fantastic ceremony,two small girls walked down the aisle ahead of the couple scattering flower petals from their baskets,and they released a pair of snow white doves when the newlyweds emerged from the church,absolutely fantastic

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

its not that expensive if u keep it simple but it depends what kind of simple wedding your wife or her family wants??? My friend who got married last year in Phils they spend £1500 all in (her/his dress, entourage, family and food) and approx 100 guess she said.

i am not catholic so i have no idea what's involve if ur not a catholic then getting married in a catholic ceremony...good luck

i know how you feel we are to marry in the UK but will have a church wedding in her homm town coz i know how much it will mean to my mahal, someone told me £2,000 should cover it, finding the time is more the problem i promised within 12 months of our wedding here ! does anyone know what docs are required ?

jonathan

hallo lordna and jonathan47, My husband and i got married in a catholic church in the Philippines last year. The basic requirements are
    * yours and her birth certificates
    * marriage license (get this from the civil registrar of the place where you want to be married, produce your certificate of no impediment to get this)
    * cenomar of the lady
    * baptismal and confirmation certificate of your girl
    * if the spouse to be is not a catholic you need to go to the archbishop of the place where you intent to get married and get requirements there, you need to produce a letter either from your own priest/minister/relatives, any of them, that your single, never been married before in a catholic rite ceremony.
    others that experienced being married in a catholic ceremony here will add more to help you.

I've no idea of the actual costs involved ... but, as far as I know, the only real obstacle likely to arise IS if one or other of the celebrants has previously gone through a *divorce (*which the Catholic Church don't recognise!).

I had to get a recent baptism certificate from my local church and a letter from the minister stating it is okay for me to marry in a Catholic Church. I think the Catholic church makes it so difficult to get you to consider converting to a Catholic. I paid 25,000 peso's for a aircon church ( I really didn't want my British guests melting) and we are ver glad we paid 25,000 for the wedding co-ordinator who made it a hassle free day. I paid in excess of 6,000 pounds for our wedding day, but the way I look at it is that it is far cheaper than a wedding in the UK. Good luck, I hope all goes well!

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    :........ the only real obstacle likely to arise IS if one or other of the celebrants has previously gone through a *divorce (*which the Catholic Church don't recognise!).
    That made me think.

I believe if a couple get married in a civil ceremony they can get married again in the catholic church. That implies that the church in such cases does not accept that the couple are married.

So, if someone who got married in a civil ceremony gets divorced, as the church would not have recognised the marriage, it should mean that the parties to that marriage can marry another person in the church ?????

But that is not so, Why ?

Also. I was married the first time in a catholic church. I then got divorced. When I married my present wife we were not allowed to marry in the church as I was divorced. MY first wife died last year. I wonder if we can now marry in the church !

Quote Originally Posted by lordna View Post
    Thanks for your response

How much is not expensive?
    No we dont have a wedding dress etc
    I'm not a catholic....but i dont think that matters?
    Just hoping to get an idea from others who may have got married in a church
    Depends on what you want, in the village of my wife £1,500 will give you a reasonable wedding with 150 guests catered for, we had our reception outside, all of the neighbours helped create a covered area shaded from the sun and the caterers decorated the rest. My wife arranged for hairdressers to do the make up and hair of my wife, her mother and bridesmaids on the big day and they also decorated the church.

As you are not a Catholic, it will depend on how strict the local priests sticks to church rules (law), the least I would expect is he would request an interview with you both, especially if you want a full nuptial ceremony and not just basic wedding service. I would suggest your wife arrange a meeting with the local priest to ask what is expected.PICT0079.jpg

PICT0082.jpg

PICT0043.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JOHN and VANESSA

Thread Information