Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Question I need some clarification / help

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted here. My hubby and I is now really busy compiling all docs for my kids' settlement visa application.

Previously I have mentioned my situation. We have looked at the requirements needed and some of the docs I can't provide hence my hubby (my kids' stepfather) have said that he would be more than glad to lodge in the application for them and he will be the sponsor. Since all our properties is under his name, all our income for the properties also goes into his bank account so we have decided that he will be the sponsor rather than me. I only work part time since I look after my tow other young kids (2, and 9 mos) and my savings is not really good.

Given the situation above, I've got questions / clarifications

1. What documents do we have to provide? Is it just the same?
    2. I provide all the financial support to my 2 kids in the Phils, remittances is all under my name since I am the one sending it. How do we go about this?
    3. When I gave birth to my daughter I didn't include my ex's name on her birth cert but stupidly when I filed for annulment (bigamous marriage) my daughter's name was mentioned on the annulment papers and this annulment papers were submitted to the embassy when I filled for my settlement application last 2004. It's a bit complicated I know (just found out that I was the second wife when I gave birth to her hence I didn't declare that he was the father as I was too confused at that time). I don't know whether to answer the father's detail on her application because his name was not on her birth cert.
    4. My husband is receiving disability benefit (he's got CMT, a muscle wasting disease that affects his legs, he has got a walking disability) will it affect our application?

We are planning to lodge in their application when we visit Phils this coming December hence I am now preparing in advance. I just really don't know what to do. Is there anyone in this forum who filed for their step children?

Appreciate your help guys.
    "Success is not about how much money you have; it's about the choices you can make in life"

your husband should sponsor them anyway, you can act as co-sponsor.

1. yes same as you did for your settlement visa, but also include evidence of 'sole responsibility' are the children's father named on their birth certs? are you on speaking terms with the father ?

2. your husband writes a letter of support for them and mention that you will be co sponsoring their visa app, in his letter show he can support them without recourse to public funds, and can provide accommodation for them without it being overcrowded, etc..(pay slips, bank statements, evidence of the size of the property, evidence he owns it etc)

you need to write a letter of support to, stating you work part time and as your husband works and has saving this greatly reduces any risks that your children would need recourse to public funds, mention you want your kids in the phils to be with your family here, and state any evidence of custody and sole responsibility - provide evidence of the money you sent to them.

3) if the father is not mentioned on the birth cert are you on speaking terms with him ? if so ask him to write a letter giving his consent for the child to live in the uk, if not speaking terms, i would have thought you should be ok, as he is not mentioned on the birth cert, does he have contact with the child? when was the last time he saw the child, how old is the child ?

4) sorry i thought he worked !, if he has good savings, your working p/t and he owns the property ? then you should be ok, as long as there is little on no chance of them needing recourse to public funds.

yes i got my stepson a settlement visa years ago..

sorry reply is a bit of a mess, little joe messing pc up

i dont know your details, but your main problem will probably be to show you have 'sole responsibilty' for your child..

how old is the child?, who is looking after the child, how long have they been looking after the child, does the child have contact with the father, when was the last time you saw the child..

Hi mod joebloggs,

big thanks for your reply.

We work from home and at the moment we are just taking partial income from our company and the rest of our income comes from our buy to let. The income goes straight thru my hubbys bank account. He is also taking some drawings from the company purely for taxation purposes. Don't know how that works but accountant takes care if it.

Regarding sole responsibility I'm not too sure whether it's enough to show that I am the one providing financially to my kids like school fees, private tutors, monthly allowance to them. I got receipts and I can ask the school to back it up as well. My kids' father has gone AWOL eversince I discovered that our marriage is bigamous. No contact whatsoever was done from his part and we even had him traced when our annulment was served and when I filed for the kids' travel
    clearance last march.

I do appreciate your reply since you yourself has gone thru the process. Was it really hard when you have lodged yours?

By the way my kids' age are 9 and 7 and they haven't seen their father for 7 years.

Thanks again
    "Success is not about how much money you have; it's about the choices you can make in life"

my stepson knew his dad pretty well, but his dad lives in the usa now, also my stepson was 17 when we applied for a settlement visa for him, they asked him to attend an interview and asked him about his father.

his father wasn't named on the birth cert, but my misses got his father to write a letter giving his consent for his son to go and live in the uk, he got his visa in a few weeks.

good you have the evidence about supporting your kids , but money is one part of it, but also..

http://www.gherson.com/News/Sole-Res...in-the-UK.aspx

To meet the sole responsibility requirement, it is necessary to satisfy the Home Office that the sponsoring parent has, usually for a substantial period of time, been the chief person exercising parental responsibility for the child. This means that the sponsoring parent has had and still has the ultimate responsibility for the major decisions relating to the child’s upbringing and provides the child with the majority of the financial and emotional support it requires. The sponsoring parent must show that he or she has had, and continues to have, care and control of the child.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    my stepson knew his dad pretty well, but his dad lives in the usa now, also my stepson was 17 when we applied for a settlement visa for him, they asked him to attend an interview and asked him about his father.

his father wasn't named on the birth cert, but my misses got his father to write a letter giving his consent for his son to go and live in the uk, he got his visa in a few weeks.

good you have the evidence about supporting your kids , but money is one part of it, but also..

http://www.gherson.com/News/Sole-Res...in-the-UK.aspx

To meet the sole responsibility requirement, it is necessary to satisfy the Home Office that the sponsoring parent has, usually for a substantial period of time, been the chief person exercising parental responsibility for the child. This means that the sponsoring parent has had and still has the ultimate responsibility for the major decisions relating to the child’s upbringing and provides the child with the majority of the financial and emotional support it requires. The sponsoring parent must show that he or she has had, and continues to have, care and control of the child.

thanks for useful info. i am a bit concerned in contacting my ex although we have tried it before and sent email to him and his wife saw it and replied back to me and threatened me and my kids so i am not going to even go there. just don't want to risk it, last info i got he is working on a cruise ship in peru. my son only saw him when he was 1 1/2 yr old and was too young to remember and my daughter never set her eyes on him as he has gone AWOL.

one concern i have got it when i filed for my annulment my kids' names were mentioned there that it's his kids but on my daughter's bc his name was not mentioned because i got so worried that our marriage was bigamous hence i did not include his name on the bc, i am really concerned with that.

thanks again mod joebloggs.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite78 View Post
    one concern i have got it when i filed for my annulment my kids' names were mentioned there that it's his kids but on my daughter's bc his name was not mentioned because i got so worried that our marriage was bigamous hence i did not include his name on the bc, i am really concerned with that.
    if he's not named on the birth cert then you shouldn't have a problem,
    like i said if you have a problem, it will be probably be showing you have sole responsibility.

who's looking after your kids ? and for how long ?

a letter from whoever is looking after your children, stating that you make any major decisions that effect them and also you provide all the finances to support them, do you know their school teacher or headmaster ? if so see if they will write a similar letter and anyone else a father/priest of your local church ? etc..

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    if he's not named on the birth cert then you shouldn't have a problem,
    like i said if you have a problem, it will be probably be showing you have sole responsibility.

who's looking after your kids ? and for how long ?

a letter from whoever is looking after your children, stating that you make any major decisions that effect them and also you provide all the finances to support them, do you know their school teacher or headmaster ? if so see if they will write a similar letter and anyone else a father/priest of your local church ? etc..
    many many thanks for that.

I guess you have somehow noticed I'm becoming a worry freak, it's really worrying when my kids' future is on their hands and that I've got to rely on eco's decision.

My mum and sister looks after my kids. Btw, you dont mind me asking when did u filed your stepson's app? Many thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite78 View Post
    many many thanks for that.

I guess you have somehow noticed I'm becoming a worry freak, it's really worrying when my kids' future is on their hands and that I've got to rely on eco's decision.

My mum and sister looks after my kids. Btw, you dont mind me asking when did u filed your stepson's app? Many thanks again.
    we applied for a visa for him in oct 2006, he came to the uk in dec 2006 when he was 17 1/2, he got ilr in june 2007, stayed here til april 2008 and went back to uni in the phils. but h'es coming back to the uk april next year probably for good this time.

Thread Information