Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Books and Movies

For anyone seeking to understand the Philippine mind-set I would recommend watching "Filipina Dreamgirls", which is something of a cult movie among the Anglo-Philippine crowd (the whole film is viewable on youtube). My Mahal bought me a copy of Joze Rizal's book "Filibusterismo" which shows how heavily the Spanish taxed the Philippines, and how even in the 1800's the education was basically just that of the medieaval Catholic Church (there is another Rizal book called "Noli Me Tangere" which I haven't read yet). Last but not least, there is Timothy Mo's book "Brownout on Breadfruit Boulevard", which I found a good read and a good laugh. The wife of a politician manages to get an international confererence centre built in her city; there are several interesting sub-plots, a German professor with a rather strange fetish, and some of the characters have crazy surnames in Visayan.

Banned
    Sounds fascinating. Thanks for the excellent details

Quote Originally Posted by Amaw2008 View Post
    For anyone seeking to understand the Philippine mind-set I would recommend watching "Filipina Dreamgirls", which is something of a cult movie among the Anglo-Philippine crowd (the whole film is viewable on youtube).
    Hehe... lol, this was discussed in the thread below but I wouldn't suggest watching it...
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ina+Dreamgirls

I read Filibusterismo and Noli Me Tangere,both good readsPhilippine dreamgirls is very entertaining,funny as a feather-tickle in some parts,its more about the eccentric brit guys than the girls themselves though,we have all met characters from that Movie at sometime or another I have even seen a character type or two on this website Worth watching again,it dates back to the days of the marriage clubs,I remember as a kid flicking through a catalogue in Manila I wasnt looking,I was with an old brit guy from brighton,he had a girlfriend called gloria and told wild tales,probably dead now sadly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWaBKxKgbfg

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Understand Filipina's! They are of the female species, they will never be understood
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Understand Filipina's! They are of the female species, they will never be understood
    very wise words
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"
    "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost"

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Life isn't worth living without us...

Thread Information