Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Citizenship, Is it possible???

I asked this question before about applying for Citizenship after getting ILR right away. I have a filipina colleague she got her ILR (thru 5 yrs WP) last June I think she applied for her citizenship after a month of getting it. Yesterday at work she is over the moon bec she said her application is approved.

Bec of this, my other filipino colleague who was granted ILR last July will also try to apply Citizenship this coming Dec....do you think that's possible? If I am going to apply I am not prepared to loose around £800 for my application then I am going to Phils 2nd week of Dec although a few people been granted citizenship in lessthan a month then another 2 weeks for UK passport so I might be fine.

If I decided I don't like Australia I can go back here anytime I want. Oh, my head spinning about it

Respected Member
    The immigration rules says that applicants who are not married to British citizens should wait a year after they get ILR before applying for citizenship. I personally wouldn't risk applying unless it was within the rules.

One thing to remember is you won't get a British passport within 2 weeks of being approved. You need to attend a ceremony and a passport identity interview before they will issue the passport.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesewiz View Post
    I asked this question before about applying for Citizenship after getting ILR right away. I have a filipina colleague she got her ILR (thru 5 yrs WP) last June I think she applied for her citizenship after a month of getting it. Yesterday at work she is over the moon bec she said her application is approved.

Bec of this, my other filipino colleague who was granted ILR last July will also try to apply Citizenship this coming Dec....do you think that's possible? If I am going to apply I am not prepared to loose around £800 for my application then I am going to Phils 2nd week of Dec although a few people been granted citizenship in lessthan a month then another 2 weeks for UK passport so I might be fine.

If I decided I don't like Australia I can go back here anytime I want. Oh, my head spinning about it
    WP holder with ILR can only apply for Naturalisation after one year they were issued the ILR. This is an info from the PEO (Public Enquiry Office) when I went to accompany my friend May 2009 he applied same day and was YES.

I am married to Brit, I applied on the basis of three years qualifying period. 3 weeks to get a result if succesful or not - then 1 week after you get a letter from Home Office its called a Citizenship invitation saying that you need to attend a ceremony where you will take an Oath and Pledge of loyalty to the United Kingdom. The ceremony will be arranged by the Local authority and in my case it was 2 weeks after we phoned to book the appointment.
    Hope this info helps. Thanks
    If it's not life threatening IGNORE it .. .

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaishann View Post
    WP holder with ILR can only apply for Naturalisation after one year they were issued the ILR. This is an info from the PEO (Public Enquiry Office) when I went to accompany my friend May 2009 he applied same day and was YES.

I am married to Brit, I applied on the basis of three years qualifying period. 3 weeks to get a result if succesful or not - then 1 week after you get a letter from Home Office its called a Citizenship invitation saying that you need to attend a ceremony where you will take an Oath and Pledge of loyalty to the United Kingdom. The ceremony will be arranged by the Local authority and in my case it was 2 weeks after we phoned to book the appointment.
    Hope this info helps. Thanks
    So within the 3 years are you allowed to go back to the Philippines or you have to stay the full 3 years in the UK?

Jonny

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnywina View Post
    So within the 3 years are you allowed to go back to the Philippines or you have to stay the full 3 years in the UK?

Jonny
    You can take trips outside of the UK, though there is some restrictions on how long you can be away from the UK especially in the year prior to applying for british citizenship.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnywina View Post

Jonny
    for a spouse of a brit

Residential requirements

In order to demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:

* have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
    * have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
    * have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
    * have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
    * have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.

Start of the residential qualifying period

The residential qualifying period will be worked out from the day we receive your application. Most unsuccessful applications fail because the applicant was not present in the United Kingdom at the beginning of the residential qualifying period. You must make sure you meet this requirement before you make your application. For example, if we received your application on 25 November 2005, you would have to show that you were in the United Kingdom on 26 November 2002.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...tnerofcitizen/

Thread Information