Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

NHS v US Healthcare

After a bit of hunting and asking around the average figure you would have to pay for healthcare in the USA per year is £5,000 .....EACH. That gives you full cover.

So instead of the £400+ a month going on a mortgage it goes to the megabucks insurance companies.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    After a bit of hunting and asking around the average figure you would have to pay for healthcare in the USA per year is £5,000 .....EACH. That gives you full cover.

So instead of the £400+ a month going on a mortgage it goes to the megabucks insurance companies.
    Thats why many from one conversation i ended up in with some us work colleuages dont bother and just place the money in savings and cross their fingers

Other companies will offer free health care insurance although company cars are rare.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

whats the chances when your young needing any major hospital treatment ?

me - dislocated elbow when i was 11, an op at 12 - thats it, apart from a few stitches from cuts or falls.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

me - dislocated elbow when i was 11, an op at 12 - thats it, apart from a few stitches from cuts or falls.
    That'll be a few grand gone in the US just on them. People forget that you have to pay full price for the drugs. What I'm on would run into £100's a month.

That'll be a few grand gone in the US just on them. People forget that you have to pay full price for the drugs. What I'm on would run into £100's a month.
    You forgot the price of the ambulance. I think you have to pay for transport too.Every single paper towel, plaster, water, container, thermometer. All billed to you.

Look at this forum here about Consumer Advice about an old lady who took a heart attack in the US. Make sure you have insurance people!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ical-bill.html
    It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum.

Very true and the NHS i understand (and would be common sense) get huge discounts due to their buying power of course.

Some of the stories people tell me of them or family with no particular medical issues being recomended treatments and vaccines they simply dont need in the US due to them having decent healthcare insurance has it pluses and minuses it seems.

In the UK generally apart from ultra expensive treatments, personally i have rarely heard of Doctors doing anything but recomending what you need.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post

Some of the stories people tell me of them or family with no particular medical issues being recomended treatments and vaccines they simply dont need in the US due to them having decent healthcare insurance has it pluses and minuses it seems.
    They reckon about 60% of all US ops aren't required, but they get them because the insurance is paying....not having the sense to realise this increases the policy ..... and about 30%+ of all kids in the US are on some kind of prescription drugs for various 'new' illnesses that they got along with just fine without meds for the previous 200,000 years of human evolution!

They even give drugs for ADHD to 3 year olds They also take drugs for emotional problems, stress, obesity.....etc.... Jeez... it's called GROWING UP!!! Not only that, the body is developing with toxins in them, no one knows what the problems will be later in life as they drugs were never developed for children.

Respected Member

My son has been in hospital twice now, first tiem last Christmas the day I arrived after he manged somehow to get his hands on the superglue in my toolkit and at age three tried to eat it

Second time was two weeks ago when he had mild pneumonia :( cost us 350 quid at christmas and 200 quid the other week both were unexpected expenses that I could have done without but what can you do when you have kids?

You should also remember that every vacinne every consulation costs money in these countries, in the phils the standard vacinnes for kids can sometimes be 8000 peso :( there are a couple like that and there are plnty more that come in at 2000 to 3000 peso that they need in the first 36 months.

We don't know how lucky we are here!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimOttley View Post
    My son has been in hospital twice now, first tiem last Christmas the day I arrived after he manged somehow to get his hands on the superglue in my toolkit and at age three tried to eat it

Second time was two weeks ago when he had mild pneumonia :( cost us 350 quid at christmas and 200 quid the other week both were unexpected expenses that I could have done without but what can you do when you have kids?

You should also remember that every vacinne every consulation costs money in these countries, in the phils the standard vacinnes for kids can sometimes be 8000 peso :( there are a couple like that and there are plnty more that come in at 2000 to 3000 peso that they need in the first 36 months.

We don't know how lucky we are here!

Jim
    superglue

tell me about it, this year, me and the misses have had to pay £1,500 in medical bills for her family in the phils.

Respected Member
    superglue

tell me about it, this year, me and the misses have had to pay £1,500 in medical bills for her family in the phils.

I can laugh about it now, but it was hell on the flight over, Ana and I had already fallen out the day before I got on the plane and we weren't on speaking terms I had just got to Schipol and was sitting down having a pint at the pub just above the bit where they sell all the electronics and cameras when I get a txt "CALL ME NOW EMERGENCY" (caps intended as that's how she sent it ) great way to start a nice a relaxing flight

It was all over his teeth but they kept him in for 3 days at Makati Med for observation, the local hospital sent us there as they didn't know how to handle it.

Jim

Thread Information