Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Question Help and information needed

I have been lucky enough to find a philipino lady that wants to marry me. She is currently in England on a Student visa so luckily we are able to see each other most days. We now want to be married and naturally she wants to get married in phil, what papers etc do I need so that we can get married there? I know you may think its easier it marry here but this is what she wants so just want to know what's needed to be able to marry there.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also any advise for her so she can continue her nursing career in England as well would be good.

Robin

Smile

hi robcoles welcome to the forum..
    regarding to your question..you will need to get " certificate of no impediment" to your local civil registry, it took 21 days. and when you come here in the phils, you will go to british embassy to convert it to "legal capacity to marry".
    Goodluck to you both
    CRITICIZING OTHERS IS A DANGEROUS THING, NOT SO MUCH BECAUSE YOU MAY MAKE MISTAKES ABOUT THEM, BUT BECAUSE YOU MAY BE REVEALING THE TRUTH ABOUT YOURSELF.

pumpkins babykins

Goodluck,.
    love is a verb its not a feeling u lose/it is something u do/

As Pumpkins said, you need to make an appointment at your local registry office to apply for a CNI (Certificate of No Impediment). It will take 21 days to come through, then when you get to the Philippines, you go to the British Embassy in Manila and exchange it for the Philippine equivalent which is a certificate of Legal Capaciity to Marry.

When you have this you just go to the province where you intend to marry and apply for a marriage licence which usually takes 10 days and in some provinces the 10 days does not include weekends. Other things you will need to get the marriage licence are your Birth Certificate and if you have been divorced in the past, you will need your decree absolute.

Then, while your waiting for your marriage licence, you will probably have to attend a Pre-Marital Seminar along with your wife to be, although, as a foriegner, you can sometimes get around this by paying a small fee, which is just a bribe really.

If your new wife intends to apply for a visa right after the wedding, then it's best to come armed with all of the evidence she will need to submit her visa application. You will need 6 months wage slips, 6 months bank (current account) statements, savings account statements, a letter of sponsorship writen and signed by you, proof of adequate accomodation, mortgage statement or tenency agreement, evidence of relationship and a good quality scanned copy of your passport etc, etc.

Iain.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    If your new wife intends to apply for a visa right after the wedding, then it's best to come armed with all of the evidence she will need to submit her visa application. You will need 6 months wage slips, 6 months bank (current account) statements, savings account statements, a letter of sponsorship writen and signed by you, proof of adequate accomodation, mortgage statement or tenency agreement, evidence of relationship and a good quality scanned copy of your passport etc, etc.
    Though if her student visa is still valid she should be able to re-enter the UK on it and then apply for FLR as the spouse of a British citizen in the UK. I think this would work out to be a cheaper option though maybe not quicker as it seems at the moment spouse visas are being issued very quickly in Manila, where FLR visas in the UK are taking sometime (unless you pay extra for the same day service).

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Thanks for all the help guys at least I now know what I need to do so that we can marry. As Hannahs student visa doesn't run out till April 2011 I am hoping that she will still be able to return to the UK on that visa as it ill still be current if we marry next year.

Quote Originally Posted by robcoles View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys at least I now know what I need to do so that we can marry. As Hannahs student visa doesn't run out till April 2011 I am hoping that she will still be able to return to the UK on that visa as it ill still be current if we marry next year.
    Welcome, Robin.

Based on Hannah's desire to marry in the Phils ... which, being her homeland, is perfectly understandable ... I'd have gone along the lines suggested by Iain. However, the long-term validity of her student visa somewhat simplifies matters in so far as it concurs with what Darren has said, enables her wish to be fulfilled and still allows sufficient time to apply for 'Further Leave To Remain' prior to April 2011.

Respected Member
    goodluck to you Robin and Hannah!!!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robcoles View Post
    Just bear in mind that being valid also mean continuing with her education. So for example a long absence in the Philippines to get married to a British citizen during term time may cause her problems when she tries to re-enter the UK.

Thread Information