Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

What is International Signed For???

Hi To All,

I am just wondering what is an International Signed For?. I have sent few items (6 items) thru the post office and i was told to pay an additional amount here and parcels will be delivered directly to the recipient's house. So i chose it rather than the registered mail. I have used the registered mail before and recipient had received a notification note to claim it from the post office. Yes i know that it will be so much of a hassle doing it so i prefer this "International Signed For" but i was surprised recipient received a notification card to claim the items. So recipient went to Las Pinas post office to claim but was told to pay P2,696.00 because contents are valuable. I have paid already the specified charges plus addt'l, but why still pay before claiming them? BTW the parcels were opened infront of the recipient (is this lawful?)....

Any comments and advices are very much welcome. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Signed For...as in the recepient will have to sign a piece of paper that the post man will provide to verify that the parcel has been received. The only thing I can't understand is why can't they deliver the parcel straight -- why do they have to ask the recepient to collect it from the post office! It defeats the purpose of having postmen.

I have not heard of any laws allowing any staff of the post office to open any parcels unless perhaps if they suspect it contain illegal goods. But normally this is executed by Customs. It is not for them to charge any additional cost on postage as it has been prepaid by you.

Geezz..only in the Philippines!
    "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Its the Philippines,your lucky they opened the item when the recipient was actually in attendance I have tried to send recorded delivery items to pinas in the past only to be told the insurance wouldnt cover the item in PI,but an item thats signed for is usually delivered to a home and a signature taken as proof of delivery,as Miss P said going to the Post Office to collect it yourself negates the need for a post man and kind of defeats the object Also as Miss P said......Geeeezzzzz............Only in the Philippines

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Viva Royal Mail!!!

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Quote Originally Posted by miss.piggy View Post
    Viva Royal Mail!!!
    Its not much but its better than nowt

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Its not much but its better than nowt
    Certainly better than the Philippine Postal Corporation!

I have Postman Pat coming to the office everyday and he is the sweetest. He is even coming back to their depot when I am expecting something which I believe delivery is being delayed.

I thought Royal Mail is very trustworthy as well. A few times that my old mother in law puts money on the post for my kids (£5-£10 only) but we always get them.

And here's the Philippine version:

I sent a £10 note to my sister, enclosed in her birthday card. She didn't get the money -- didn't get the card. I know it's advised not to send money by post, but hey, taking it is stealing!

By the way, the £10 is not a birthday present. It's a test to their local postman if they can be trusted with other stuff, ie. electronics, etc. If they're interested with £10 which is only 790 pesos, then the more with phones, cameras, etc. It's a shame, but one of the bitter truths about the system.

Thanks Miss Piggy ang Tawi2 for your responses. Yes i chose this kind of service so parcels (2 small ones) should be delivered straight to the house. I don't know why they opened them. The custom officials said they have assessed the items hence the charges.
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Customs charges is understandable...as long as there's a receipt against your payments.

Signed For...as in the recepient will have to sign a piece of paper that the post man will provide to verify that the parcel has been received. The only thing I can't understand is why can't they deliver the parcel straight -- why do they have to ask the recepient to collect it from the post office! It defeats the purpose of having postmen.

I have not heard of any laws allowing any staff of the post office to open any parcels unless perhaps if they suspect it contain illegal goods. But normally this is executed by Customs. It is not for them to charge any additional cost on postage as it has been prepaid by you.

Geezz..only in the Philippines!
    The reason they can't (won't) deliver the parcel direct to the door is that they know it came from the UK and the ££££ signs have already started rolling around in their eyeballs.

Certainly better than the Philippine Postal Corporation!

I have Postman Pat coming to the office everyday and he is the sweetest. He is even coming back to their depot when I am expecting something which I believe delivery is being delayed.

I thought Royal Mail is very trustworthy as well. A few times that my old mother in law puts money on the post for my kids (£5-£10 only) but we always get them.

And here's the Philippine version:

I sent a £10 note to my sister, enclosed in her birthday card. She didn't get the money -- didn't get the card. I know it's advised not to send money by post, but hey, taking it is stealing!

By the way, the £10 is not a birthday present. It's a test to their local postman if they can be trusted with other stuff, ie. electronics, etc. If they're interested with £10 which is only 790 pesos, then the more with phones, cameras, etc. It's a shame, but one of the bitter truths about the system.
    Now that Mr Postie has found money in a card sent to that address, it's a waste of time sending anymore cards to that address. They just won't arrive because the postman will open them looking for money and then, because he's already opened them, he'll just throw them away.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    Now that Mr Postie has found money in a card sent to that address, it's a waste of time sending anymore cards to that address. They just won't arrive because the postman will open them looking for money and then, because he's already opened them, he'll just throw them away.
    that's true, sad to say.

Contact the Royal Mail helpline and ask them, as delivery is bound by there T&C.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Customs charges is understandable...as long as there's a receipt against your payments.
    Thanks Miss Piggy. Yes charges are understandable but for this particular service the ISF, documents/parcels should be delivered straight to the house and recipients signature is needed and that's all. There should be no additional charges whatsoever.

The reason they can't (won't) deliver the parcel direct to the door is that they know it came from the UK and the ££££ signs have already started rolling around in their eyeballs.
    Hi Iain, Very true!!!. I can imagine their eyes are all £££££££. As much as possible i hate to say bad comments about filipinos but i can't help it!... especially if i know my rights are being abused and/or people abusive of the position given to them .

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Contact the Royal Mail helpline and ask them, as delivery is bound by there T&C.
    Thanks Sir Keith i will do that. I am just thinking what if they answer me that the parcels are delivered to the correct address and so they have done their duty but are now in the Philippines (my beloved country) and they don't have control over it and don't know the system there. This was the statement i got from the post office here in England.

I will look for the telephone number online, i will still call them. Thanks again Sir.
    Cheers!

Just an update. Finally the parcels were given to the recipient. They just need someone in authority to tell them to release the parcels. So that means some of the Custom Employees assigned in Las Pinas are just making anything possible to earn from the incomming parcels? So it is illegal. I am willing to pay for as long as it is really the rules in claiming such but i know that there should be no fees collected on those. The recipient has to go and talk to the Asst Post Master General and this person called the Head of the LP Post office and ordered the release of the items without any fees.
    Huh! Illegal doings of Custom employees...

The thing is who do you complain to in Pinas,this form of exploitation is rampant there,they all skim something from the top

The thing is who do you complain to in Pinas,this form of exploitation is rampant there,they all skim something from the top
    To the higher ups. They are the ones who are in control. So if you don't complain they they will carry on with the wrong doings and if you know someone "up there".... you are lucky...

But the higher up the ladder they are the more they are nicking

But the higher up the ladder they are the more they are nicking
    Sad to say yes as you go up the ladder....

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe n Pilar View Post
    Sad to say yes as you go up the ladder....
    Time to worry is when they actually steal the ladder otself

Just an update. Finally the parcels were given to the recipient. They just need someone in authority to tell them to release the parcels. So that means some of the Custom Employees assigned in Las Pinas are just making anything possible to earn from the incomming parcels? So it is illegal. I am willing to pay for as long as it is really the rules in claiming such but i know that there should be no fees collected on those. The recipient has to go and talk to the Asst Post Master General and this person called the Head of the LP Post office and ordered the release of the items without any fees.
    Huh! Illegal doings of Custom employees...
    I sent a boxed Christmas card to my wife when she was still in Phils and they said there was duty of P450 to pay on it. It had the Royal mail sticker on it which clearly stated it was a "greetings card" but they still had the cheek to ask for duty before she could have it.

Time to worry is when they actually steal the ladder otself
    They will have a hard fall!

I sent a boxed Christmas card to my wife when she was still in Phils and they said there was duty of P450 to pay on it. It had the Royal mail sticker on it which clearly stated it was a "greetings card" but they still had the cheek to ask for duty before she could have it.
    HI Iain, So did you still pay? They said if you declare the goods as gift then you are safe, no more fees to be paid. My fault was..... i didn't put any note in there saying those are just gifts..and didn't notify them i had sent something.
    anyway next time i was told to call them first before sending the parcels so not to repeat the same hassles. The person who will receive in the office will have a sure gift from me. He will make sure it won't go to greedy custom people anymore.

They will have a hard fall!

HI Iain, So did you still pay? They said if you declare the goods as gift then you are safe, no more fees to be paid. My fault was..... i didn't put any note in there saying those are just gifts..and didn't notify them i had sent something.
    anyway next time i was told to call them first before sending the parcels so not to repeat the same hassles. The person who will receive in the office will have a sure gift from me. He will make sure it won't go to greedy custom people anymore.
    My wife did pay, but she only told me about after she had paid.

Red face

hi my sister had a same experience before..she received a notification card to claim the package so she went there to claim it but the post office staff told her to pay 1000 so she can have it. my sister said " i have only p500 here" and then the guy said " thats ok, give me p500 i give u the package".

many corrupt personnel there in las piñas can i tell you

they asked me to pay p2000 + 200 for advanced endorsement of marriage certificate..
    that p2000 will just only go to their pocket
    CRITICIZING OTHERS IS A DANGEROUS THING, NOT SO MUCH BECAUSE YOU MAY MAKE MISTAKES ABOUT THEM, BUT BECAUSE YOU MAY BE REVEALING THE TRUTH ABOUT YOURSELF.

pumpkins babykins

We've had a nightmare with postal stuff not getting there. ANything valuable Ive sent Fedex and this get there, but is expensive.
    To be honest, post seems worse coming this way ??
    I only seem to get about a 3rd of the letters sent, while she gets 75% of mine.

I keep telling her to stop putting candies in the envelkopes she sends to me - they're only pennies, but Im certain it gives a corrupt postal service a good reason to rip them open :(

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkins View Post
    hi my sister had a same experience before..she received a notification card to claim the package so she went there to claim it but the post office staff told her to pay 1000 so she can have it. my sister said " i have only p500 here" and then the guy said " thats ok, give me p500 i give u the package".

many corrupt personnel there in las piñas can i tell you

they asked me to pay p2000 + 200 for advanced endorsement of marriage certificate..
    that p2000 will just only go to their pocket
    HI Pumpkins,
    I agree with you there are many corrupt employees in L.P. post office. I didn't know this until i sent some packages last 18th of the 8th. Wow! P2,200.00 for an immediate endorsement of MC? I learned that these Custom employees are making everything possible for them to earn because they are there as "floating" employees

Quote Originally Posted by MarBell379 View Post
    We've had a nightmare with postal stuff not getting there. ANything valuable Ive sent Fedex and this get there, but is expensive.
    To be honest, post seems worse coming this way ??
    I only seem to get about a 3rd of the letters sent, while she gets 75% of mine.

I keep telling her to stop putting candies in the envelkopes she sends to me - they're only pennies, but Im certain it gives a corrupt postal service a good reason to rip them open :(
    Hi Marbell,
    She sends you candies in an envelope?? ...To make sure your stuffs gets through to the recipient, you may use the registered mail. Perhaps if they are just in small envelopes they don't get interest at all?. Yea DHL or Fed Ex is more expensive. £53.00 /0.5kg or P2K for 500 gms something like that.
    If I send a gift to the Phils that is over £36 in value, the recipient will also be obliged to pay the Duty and VAT unless i, who sent it has agreed to pay the VAT. Likewise, if you are the person sending you need to remember that if you don't take the time to include the proper invoices then your shipment could be held in customs or the person you are sending to may be charged too much Duty and VAT.

I've tried sending cd's (3 in a box) and arrived on the 9th day safely (this is thru Royal Mail).Either way it is expensive sending goods or gifts but, nevertheless i have joy in my heart sending something to my loved ones back home especially if i hear them say.... thank you, thank you...i love the gift you sent me!!!. It's a nice feeling indeed...

Thread Information