Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exam results

exam results

bloody exam results! get em down pit and building railroads proper jobs. years spent partying at uni then hopefully job at matalan!

your just jealous!
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lestaxi1 View Post
    bloody exam results! get em down pit and building railroads proper jobs. years spent partying at uni then hopefully job at matalan!
    what is your problem, for us parents exam results are a big deal
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

modern society!

oh okay, whatever
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

Well done to your child, and to you for providing the platform form which they can succeed.

the essence of the problem is the dumbing down of exams to get school pass rates up and therefore better league table places coupled with creating universities from lower level institutions and the explosion of "new" degrees in all manner of ridiculous subjects. A British education used to be sought after, nowadays it is second rate in many areas of the country. Many wealthier Hong Kong locals (where we used to live) valued our education system and used to send their kids to ESF schools and then on to further education in the UK. Now they choose Canada, Australia and China and want the kids receiving IB programme not A or AS levels.
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

Worthless exams for business. Labour have the policy of no losers!
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

the number of "uni" students i taxi who can't do simple maths and who's basic english is poor amazes me.now media studies, parties and maybe a huge student debt before applying for shop floor job at matalan! why not start in work straight away and they could be be branch manager in a few years hiring the students lol.

the number of "uni" students i taxi who can't do simple maths and who's basic english is poor amazes me.now media studies, parties and maybe a huge student debt before applying for shop floor job at matalan! why not start in work straight away and they could be be branch manager in a few years hiring the students lol.
    not all uni students end up working in matalan... i want my son to have a good future so we tell him to work hard so he gets somewhere in life. i am so proud of what my son has achieved and i am 100% sure that all his hard work will pay off.

Why debt anyway? The charges have been in place long enough for the parents to have saved up for their kids further eduaction!

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Why debt anyway? The charges have been in place long enough for the parents to have saved up for their kids further eduaction!
    yep, my sons child benefit and money given to him om bdays and xmases.. and we put a little each month to go towards his uni fees...

Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    not all uni students end up working in matalan... i want my son to have a good future so we tell him to work hard so he gets somewhere in life. i am so proud of what my son has achieved and i am 100% sure that all his hard work will pay off.
    yes i agree with you but i can't help thinking that the system is at fault and i hope your sons hard work does pay off

Respected Member
    I don't have a problem with exam results. Having been a product of the system, its not the kids fault for knowing the answers.....its the school and governments fault

Its the governments fault for setting the wrong targets for schools, and its the schools fault for being so wrapped up in the crappy government targets they only care about getting the kids to pass, as opposed to giving them a proper, well rounded education

Old people need to realise this

Quote Originally Posted by Matt7 View Post

any one over the age of 23 is old?

before you know you will be older too!
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post

I never said that

But the older a person gets, the more they moan about how much easier exams are getting. Its almost a perfect science

..... the more they moan about how much easier exams are getting. Its almost a perfect science
    Not quite true.

The FACT exams have got easier has been proven numerous times by an number of independent institutions.

One simple instance is that the University exam to get in has not changed for decades, and yet a large % of A students now fail them.

Another example, students from pre-Labour were given the GCSE paper, while those from today were given the equivalent O Level paper. The GCSE takers all past with an A, the O Level's all failed. They run this test on different people over different subjects.

Before the mid 90's we used to be taught in school the subjects we had taken, now they are taught how to pass an exam. In fact, in some subjects now you get a pass without even taking an exam. ....and 50% of the exam is already complete before they take the paper, that result is decided by the teacher, and strangely they all pass!

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Not quite true.

The FACT exams have got easier has been proven numerous times by an number of independent institutions.

One simple instance is that the University exam to get in has not changed for decades, and yet a large % of A students now fail them.

Another example, students from pre-Labour were given the GCSE paper, while those from today were given the equivalent O Level paper. The GCSE takers all past with an A, the O Level's all failed. They run this test on different people over different subjects.

Before the mid 90's we used to be taught in school the subjects we had taken, now they are taught how to pass an exam. In fact, in some subjects now you get a pass without even taking an exam. ....and 50% of the exam is already complete before they take the paper, that result is decided by the teacher, and strangely they all pass!
    Word GCses were introducded a year or two before i got to the stage of taking them. Back then most of the experienced teachers taught the same way they did the o levels etc. Learn about the subject the course work was relevant. Many of these teachers who we all respected left the teaching game over the next few years.

Having been in many educational organsations from primary to universitys its all about figures and upward trends blah blah.

Many youngsters are still good candidates to be taking on but we at my firm have no faith in the results at all levels and IB seem to be just as effy we have noticed as an indicator of talent. We now test extensively all candidates in many ways. Many with high levels of results are found to be not what we require while those with what looks bad on paper actualy have decent basic 3 r's skills, common sense, able to think logically, good skills and knowledge on the subjects of intrest to us.

So dont write off your kids if they dont get lots of A's but if they do get high marks do try and make sure its not because they get on with their teachers and the System works for them.

We also aim all our CV's as evidence of what people have done so if your kids may not be the best in the classroom. Get them lots of practical hands on experience. If they want to go in to IT or office work ECDL or ms , and IT qualifcations like A+ N+ and MCp's etc.

Volunteer work, scouts, red cross volunteers, take part in sports and possibly help organise them, working in a shop or other business as a saturday worker all show the candidate may have real world skills.

A person who can run a football club/ church days organise trips away, attend a job in a charity workplace (get their on time, work hard and make a difference) would score more highly than a person with a A in media studies.

We look for these example on CV's of people who may have leadership skils, able to work with people in a team, people who can organise themsleves or others. Those who want to learn, Of course those who wish to work and likely to have a good attendance no point in being a world expert in a subject if they are forever late and not at work.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post

he's already 1/3 of the away into being 6ft under

Banned

Don't worry lad, you will grow out of youth.

my misses is at maths, but shes managed to get 2 degrees without the need for maths thou i wish she had taken one in common sense to

i think you're a bit jelly les they don t give you A's for just spelling your name right on the exam paper .................. i think you get a B for that

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Word GCses were introducded a year or two before i got to the stage of taking them. Back then most of the experienced teachers taught the same way they did the o levels etc. Learn about the subject the course work was relevant. Many of these teachers who we all respected left the teaching game over the next few years.

Having been in many educational organsations from primary to universitys its all about figures and upward trends blah blah.

Many youngsters are still good candidates to be taking on but we at my firm have no faith in the results at all levels and IB seem to be just as effy we have noticed as an indicator of talent. We now test extensively all candidates in many ways. Many with high levels of results are found to be not what we require while those with what looks bad on paper actualy have decent basic 3 r's skills, common sense, able to think logically, good skills and knowledge on the subjects of intrest to us.

So dont write off your kids if they dont get lots of A's but if they do get high marks do try and make sure its not because they get on with their teachers and the System works for them.

We also aim all our CV's as evidence of what people have done so if your kids may not be the best in the classroom. Get them lots of practical hands on experience. If they want to go in to IT or office work ECDL or ms , and IT qualifcations like A+ N+ and MCp's etc.

Volunteer work, scouts, red cross volunteers, take part in sports and possibly help organise them, working in a shop or other business as a saturday worker all show the candidate may have real world skills.

A person who can run a football club/ church days organise trips away, attend a job in a charity workplace (get their on time, work hard and make a difference) would score more highly than a person with a A in media studies.

We look for these example on CV's of people who may have leadership skils, able to work with people in a team, people who can organise themsleves or others. Those who want to learn, Of course those who wish to work and likely to have a good attendance no point in being a world expert in a subject if they are forever late and not at work.
    thats what i like to see good post

Respected Member

Rant

The education system is fundamentally flawed because the government thinks only of 'one size fits all' kind of system and also because of the failure to support the teachers and schools.
    The schools which are successful are criticised. I live in Doncaster, a town where many of the outlying villages saw a dramatic rise in unemployment after the pit closures many years ago and still hasn't recovered fully. The behavioral issues that exist even at a young age in the schools is something the government doesn’t' want to face up to. Then along come the new 'Academies' which are part private funded and part state funded, but operated completely independent from the government. The parent’s criticisms when this school opened in 2006 were

One mother said her daughter had been removed from school after being accused of wearing the wrong trousers, another that her son had been permanently expelled for smoking.

A father claimed his son had been sent home for walking the wrong way down the corridor, another that his 16-year-old daughter was kicked out after getting a kiss from her boyfriend at the school gates. And underlying it all was a feeling that Trinity, the third state funded secondary to be run by an evangelical Christian and friend of Tony Blair, Sir Peter Vardy, was pushing an aggressive religious agenda. Cindy Denise, whose two children are both at Trinity, claimed pupils were disciplined if they did not carry the Bible on certain days and summed up the mood at the meeting, describing the school as "a complete joke". "They are kicking children out for nothing and won't listen to anyone who wants to know what is going on."
    The parents don't want to face up to the responsibility of their children’s behavior, so the schools must be given the authority to take a hardliner attitude. The parents and pupils will get upset, but it works. ZERO TOLERENCE. You don't need corporal punishment, that’s only when you've failed or the pupil is probably beyond the point they can be improved.

A few days ago, the Academy released this article

Trinity Academy in Thorne said it had nearly doubled the number of pupils achieving at least one A-level pass, from 44 in 2008 to a record 73 today. It also reported a record number of students heading to university with more than two-thirds of its passes at grade C or higher.
    Bear in mind, this is only 2 years later, and this is one of the most deprived areas in the UK! The results tell the story...

Well, how about my story... When I was 18 I wasn't interested in going university despite my parents urging me too. Mostly I wasn't interested in doing a course without seeing the relevance in it. Instead I decided to take a Merchant Navy Officer Cadetship. My friends who were going to University laughed, "what on earth will you ever achieve in a job like that..." they said. So off they went to University, took courses in Business Management and similar themes.
    Now I'm 24 and of the group of 5 friends I went to school with who all went to university; 3 of them are unemployed and the other 2 are in jobs much less grand than they were dreaming of 6 years ago.
    For myself I work 6 months a year and earn around 5 times as much as my Dad was earning after being a school teacher for 30 years! (After being very reluctant to support my desire for a career to sea, he's completely turned around his view). I have to admit, it wasn't easy at the start with 7 month trips working 6 on/6 off in the offshore oil fields of Angola. I was given the worst jobs onboard from cleaning sewage tanks, cleaning boilers to scrubbing the holds of a 40,000 t ship. The only consolation was that the aged Captain and Chief Mate giving me the job had done the very same jobs many years ago and would always chirp 'you need to know how hard these jobs are son, otherwise how could you ever give other people these jobs when your an officer...'

So what is wrong with University system, are there too many people coming out of university? Do employers value a degree anymore? Do employers actually understand what is on the CV in front of them, when the system seems to change so frequently?

How about these so called 'Mickey Mouse' degrees? These 'quasi-academic degrees' such as Madonna Studies, golf course management, pig enterprise management, knitwear and beauty therapy courses give absolutely nothing to society, and I personally would be embarrassed to have them on my CV!!!!!!!
    What on earth would an employer say to these?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/ma...litics.schools

http://www.thestar.co.uk/doncaster/D...ove.5572290.jp

Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    The education system is fundamentally flawed because the government thinks only of 'one size fits all' kind of system and also because of the failure to support the teachers and schools.
    The schools which are successful are criticised. I live in Doncaster, a town where many of the outlying villages saw a dramatic rise in unemployment after the pit closures many years ago and still hasn't recovered fully. The behavioral issues that exist even at a young age in the schools is something the government doesn’t' want to face up to. Then along come the new 'Academies' which are part private funded and part state funded, but operated completely independent from the government. The parent’s criticisms when this school opened in 2006 were

The parents don't want to face up to the responsibility of their children’s behavior, so the schools must be given the authority to take a hardliner attitude. The parents and pupils will get upset, but it works. ZERO TOLERENCE. You don't need corporal punishment, that’s only when you've failed or the pupil is probably beyond the point they can be improved.

Bear in mind, this is only 2 years later, and this is one of the most deprived areas in the UK! The results tell the story...

Well, how about my story... When I was 18 I wasn't interested in going university despite my parents urging me too. Mostly I wasn't interested in doing a course without seeing the relevance in it. Instead I decided to take a Merchant Navy Officer Cadetship. My friends who were going to University laughed, "what on earth will you ever achieve in a job like that..." they said. So off they went to University, took courses in Business Management and similar themes.
    Now I'm 24 and of the group of 5 friends I went to school with who all went to university; 3 of them are unemployed and the other 2 are in jobs much less grand than they were dreaming of 6 years ago.
    For myself I work 6 months a year and earn around 5 times as much as my Dad was earning after being a school teacher for 30 years! (After being very reluctant to support my desire for a career to sea, he's completely turned around his view). I have to admit, it wasn't easy at the start with 7 month trips working 6 on/6 off in the offshore oil fields of Angola. I was given the worst jobs onboard from cleaning sewage tanks, cleaning boilers to scrubbing the holds of a 40,000 t ship. The only consolation was that the aged Captain and Chief Mate giving me the job had done the very same jobs many years ago and would always chirp 'you need to know how hard these jobs are son, otherwise how could you ever give other people these jobs when your an officer...'

So what is wrong with University system, are there too many people coming out of university? Do employers value a degree anymore? Do employers actually understand what is on the CV in front of them, when the system seems to change so frequently?

How about these so called 'Mickey Mouse' degrees? These 'quasi-academic degrees' such as Madonna Studies, golf course management, pig enterprise management, knitwear and beauty therapy courses give absolutely nothing to society, and I personally would be embarrassed to have them on my CV!!!!!!!

yep thats what my original post was all about

Word.

All the new breed of career MP's and cvill servants who went to uni think everyone should go.

Its a waste for many, we need people to have more real world Experience and practical skills.

Although some of the acadmies we have links with at my firm sometimes i feel could do better for the pupils they are
    improving as they go along. Mainly by getting employers in who help suggest what skills and knowledge they are looking for.

Also helps when a pupil is told that they wouldn't get a job by an actual potential employer rather than a teacher seen a few
    suddenly find more urgency once that happens.

my misses brother in law has worked on ships for many years, (misses thinks he might be a 1st mate or an officer of some sort) he gets paid well, but he's away 6 months' of the year,so he's missed his kids growing up and it has caused some problems with his relationship with his wife. so that's the sacrifice he has paid to bring home a good wage, but time is one thing money cannot buy you.

labour party want more students going to uni, which i think i read somewhere they have achieved, especially more working class kids.

money is not everything, you might get paid well but hate your job, or get paid but like what you do. i suppose you have to find a balance, but a degree with get your foot in the door, experience with probably get you the job.

i think some people who **** off degrees haven't been to uni, so maybe some jelly belly there

good you got where you did, but were all not the same

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    my misses brother in law has worked on ships for many years, (misses thinks he might be a 1st mate or an officer of some sort) he gets paid well, but he's away 6 months' of the year,so he's missed his kids growing up and it has caused some problems with his relationship with his wife. so that's the sacrifice he has paid to bring home a good wage, but time is one thing money cannot buy you.

labour party want more students going to uni, which i think i read somewhere they have achieved, especially more working class kids.

money is not everything, you might get paid well but hate your job, or get paid but like what you do. i suppose you have to find a balance, but a degree with get your foot in the door, experience with probably get you the job.

i think some people who **** off degrees haven't been to uni, so maybe some jelly belly there

good you got where you did, but were all not the same

Degrees like vocational courses have there uses. The current regime goverment/cvill service whoever think we need lots of people who have studied a degree any degree.

We need Technicans, we need Craftspeople we need people with practical skills.

Joe seriously Like Ricky I know plenty of people of various ages who in the nineties and noughties went to Uni wasted some time there and got no degree or a poor degree or switched to a "easier Degree" or qualfication. Also plenty who did post gradute. For the amount of investment 5-10-15 years later the career path they have taken does not justify the time, money and effort.

It maybe their choice/right but from the country's pespective its not clever sending huge amounts of people to Uni to do courses which they for various reasons are going to not achieve the best for them, industry private or public, or the country.

I was told by one young man who was working with our company on work experience who is the first to admit is not very academic but very practical minded and wants some sort of Engineer/craftsman role was told by some careers advisor he should consider University as he can achieve so much more.

Firstly a well paid Engineer/craftsman will earn far more than many a paper shuffler. Secondly the guy needs more hands on experience not learn how to write reports which being honest is just not his bag.

When he looked for practical courses the choice is very limited to the huge amount of academic courses.

I think Ricky like me knows you need people with good acadmeic skills you need scientists, doctors, even lawyers. But we need people with various skills surely?

Look at the academies many are teaching far more pratical/vocational skills. Why because the people who will employ or possibly hire tradespeople or crafts people know there are huge shortages. People with a so so Degree or one in a subject not required are ten a penny..

Look at the current crisis in many areas apart from the west midlands which manufacturing has been battered due to the lack of credit etc. In many comuter towns the ones who suppy the major towns and cities with office workers are the ones really being hit. Some commuter belt towns have levels of employment never seen. But I still see adverts for skilled crafts people.

Like in the private sector once the public sector have to reduce costs, local authorities and cvill service departments are surely going to reduce admin staff (more likely to be degree holders) but front line staff (less likely to be degree holders) who are needed to reach targets or bring in income etc. Will be less effected..

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post

We need Technicans, we need Craftspeople we need people with practical skills.
    apprenticeships hardly exist any more.

and where will they come from andy if it's not thru uni ? do you mean the practical skills gained by many Filipinos here, who applied for a student visa to do a nvq 'working' in a care home while 'studying' at 'joe bloggs' college

you might not use the knowledge you gained from your degree in the job you do, but the employer knows at least you had the capacity to pass your degree, something some school leavers couldn't do.

everyone is different andy, so what if you end up as a manager at mc dons with your arts degree if that's what you want to do

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    I made a few quid,not in a way any of you have ever done I shouldnt think,but my kid has had it drummed into him from the off that he needs to go to Uni,I always wanted to go,my dad was old school 18 years in the navy and 20 years in the prison service,he always told me "Dont be stupid,forget university and get a real job"Sadly I followed his adviceI want my kid to have a decent Uni degree,he wants to be a Vet thankfully,but education is something that cant be taken away from us,unlike posessions,cash etc,its got a better value than anything monetary
    very well said , my son thankfully is aware that in order to get a decent job he needs to go uni, at 15 he still has not made up his mind what to do, but he's got his heart set at either being a barrister ( he is thinking how he would be like if he has to defend a guilty person) or a games developer ( he sure has the imagination to be one).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information