Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Using a Philippines Driving License in the UK

As is mentioned on other threads, you can drive in the UK on a Philippines license for upto 12 months. However the license must have an International Driving Permit attached to it.
    We'll be living in the UK from December 09 until May 2010 and I wanted to make sure that Marvie could drive here. Although she'll have the license, I will send her for a few lessons first because of the fundemental differences in driving in the UK and the Philippines (most people assume that it's just mahem in the Philippines, but it does have a system, and it does work, and when you drive there for a little while it's actually ok).

Anyway here is how she got the International Driving Permit.

Association Name: Automobile Association Philippines
    Address: 683 Aurora Boulevard, 1112 Quezon City, Philippines
    Tel. No. : (632) 7230808 Fax: (632) 7265878
    Email : info@aap.org.ph Website: www.aap.org.ph

To acquire the International Driving Permit, you have to be a member to this association as well. When I got there, all they needed was my driver's license, 2 photos and I filled up some forms. It's alright even if you forgot to bring photos for they can get a photo of you from their computer, as long as you bring your driver's license (important document). To submit these documents, I went to window 1, then they gave me a number to wait for their call. I waited for almost an hour for the processing and ID making. When I was called, paid 1,800 php, and right there and then they issued me my membership ID and the International Driver's permit, together with a sticker and an insurance certificate. Take note that this permit is valid only for one year but renewable.
    It's important to remember, the 12 months for driving in the UK doesn't reset when you leave the UK and come back. Also within that 12 months she must pass a UK driving test, otherwise she will only be able to get a provisional license and drive accompanied after that.

Hope this helps other people who wanted to know.

Banned
    Thanks for that.

One of the few useful posts I have seen in a while.

Deserves some rep.

Respected Member
    I don't actually believe you need an IDP to drive in the UK unless your driving license isn't in English. Though some places (hire car companies, etc) may want you to have one.

The other thing to remember is if insuring a car or being added to an insurance policy is to make sure the insurance company knows which country issued the driving license if it is not a UK one.

You dont need IDP to operate a car in UK. LTO license is enough. However, it is only valid 12 months upon Arrival in UK. here is the advisory link posted by the phil embassy in london regarding that matter http://philembassy-uk.org/news_advisory.html#04

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyR View Post
    As is mentioned on other threads, you can drive in the UK on a Philippines license for upto 12 months. However the license must have an International Driving Permit attached to it.
    We'll be living in the UK from December 09 until May 2010 and I wanted to make sure that Marvie could drive here. Although she'll have the license, I will send her for a few lessons first because of the fundemental differences in driving in the UK and the Philippines (most people assume that it's just mahem in the Philippines, but it does have a system, and it does work, and when you drive there for a little while it's actually ok).

Anyway here is how she got the International Driving Permit.

It's important to remember, the 12 months for driving in the UK doesn't reset when you leave the UK and come back. Also within that 12 months she must pass a UK driving test, otherwise she will only be able to get a provisional license and drive accompanied after that.

Hope this helps other people who wanted to know.
    hi ricky, i actually got one myself before coming to uk, my IDL will expire in a few months, which reminds me, i need to pass the driving test soon
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"
    "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost"

Thread Information