Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Work & Study Programs in the UK--legal or not?

I went to a Migration Expo where many companies are offering Work & Study Programs in the UK, Canada, and Australia. In the case of UK, I would be given a work placement which is part of the course I'm going to take (culinary arts). According to the UKBA, students can work with a minimum of 20 hours a week, but I can work full time on vacations. So far, the colleges that I have verified to be legitimate (from the UKBA site) are Majestic College (which is a Nursing College) and Thames International.

But my problem is, an attorney friend advised me that working while studying abroad may be illegal. Even if working+studying may be legal for Britain, it may be illegal for POEA because students are not sending remittances in the homeland while rendering work in a foreign country. Can anybody verify this? Thanks!

Students can work a "Minimum" of 20 hours a week Really I thought it was a maximum of 20 hours a week My brother in law brought some of his nieces over under the guise of studying and I am sure they were told a maximum of 20 hours

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Banned
    i thought it was illegal to work whilst you was here on a student visa ???/ or visiting visa

just a guess

As far as I know students are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours a week.

Yes it is right, a person who is here on student visa is allowed to work 20hrs maximum and some courses will even require a 1year placement period where students have to work full time in the couse of 1 year. I know it by heart because most of my Filipino friends studying in London are now doing their placement.
    The bravest thing that men do is love women--Mort Sahl

Respected Member
    From http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/st...in-uk/working/

You can work part-time during term time, as long as it is no more than 20 hours a week, and full-time during vacations.

You can work on a work placement that forms an assessed part of your course as long is it is no more than 50% of the total length of the course in the United Kingdom.

Better just add as a get-out clause no one condones bringing nieces over under the auspices of studying just so they can work here .In answer to your query SRV its maximum,not minimum

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Better just add as a get-out clause no one condones bringing nieces over under the auspices of studying just so they can work here .In answer to your query SRV its maximum,not minimum
    the only thing is Tawi2, if they work more than 20hrs a week or don't attend classes, they could well be banned from coming to the uk again for a very long time

You will be able to work:
    -part-time work during term-time which is no more than 20 hours a week; and
    -full-time work during vacations. By the way Tawi2, your avatar is very eye- catching
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

as stated by many, its legal to study n work in the UK. however, students are not permitted to work full tym, that is more than 20 hours during school terms. but student can do full tym work during off school terms. There is a severe penalty if the immigration finds out that you are working full tym during school terms, usually deportation.a friend of mine got deported.

Banned
    dont you need an national insurance number to work? even part time

how do you get that if you are only a student not a resident

Eye catching avatar SingkitI better change it

Sorry, "minimum" is a typo. Yes it's a maximum of 20 hours a week, and if I understood correctly, you can do 20+ hours full time work a week during vacations.

Anyway, my job right now is different from what I want to take. I am working with printers but I want to become a chef. So I thought the opportunity is enticing. God-willing, I wish to be trained in the kitchens of Heston Blumenthal, Marco Pierre White, or (snicker) Gordon Ramsay. Maybe not, but despite the stereotype of British food, fine dining in London is the most renowned in the planet, along with Paris and New York (actually Paris is number one).

My concern though is do I have to report to POEA if I were on a student visa even if I were a working student?

Heston Blumenthal His resto was closed down for a period of time after over 100 diners caught food poisoning Gordon F***ing Ramsay Be afraid,be very f***ing afraid

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Heston Blumenthal His resto was closed down for a period of time after over 100 diners caught food poisoning Gordon F***ing Ramsay Be afraid,be very f***ing afraid
    did i not see ramsey is bust closing his restaurents???

He sold his porsche didnt he? Things are going down the pan for him resto wise(ever since the rumours of a pinoy printer working as a sushi chef in one of his kitchens),he is better off concentrating on his TV career,he is certainly entertaining,he seems more down to earth than Marco with his japanese "Oddjob" manservant Mr Ishii

Actually I love baking and Italian food.

Quote Originally Posted by srvfan View Post
    Actually I love baking and Italian food.
    Are there any good italian restos in Pinas (and I dont mean pizza hut either)

Quote Originally Posted by srvfan View Post
    Sorry, "minimum" is a typo. Yes it's a maximum of 20 hours a week, and if I understood correctly, you can do 20+ hours full time work a week during vacations.

Anyway, my job right now is different from what I want to take. I am working with printers but I want to become a chef. So I thought the opportunity is enticing. God-willing, I wish to be trained in the kitchens of Heston Blumenthal, Marco Pierre White, or (snicker) Gordon Ramsay. Maybe not, but despite the stereotype of British food, fine dining in London is the most renowned in the planet, along with Paris and New York (actually Paris is number one).

My concern though is do I have to report to POEA if I were on a student visa even if I were a working student?
    Nope! you need not go to POEA coz u r on a student visa. my sis in law just arrived here in UK last week on a student visa. She didn't went POEA.

Go to Bellini's, located near Marikina Shoe Expo at Cubao, Quezon City.

Another good resto is Amici, which has branches in Tomas Morato and Megamall.

The upper end Italian restos are Cibo and Itallianis.

What we rarely have are French Restaurants.

Thread Information