Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Marrying a Filipina

I suppose you have covered this topic before but here goes anyway. I plan to marry a Filipina girl early next year. She wants her 18 year old sister to come and live with us here in Scotland. I don't have a problem with that at all but I need to know the ins and outs of the law about doing this. Can anyone shed some light on this please?
    Thanks.
    George.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAMABAZ View Post
    I plan to marry a Filipina girl early next year. She wants her 18 year old sister to come and live with us here in Scotland.

I am not quite sure if I like this veiled blackmail....

Put your foot down, stupid idea

Tell her your mate will be moving in as well

The relationship is YOU and HER, anyone else involved in the early years of a relationship tend to mess things up.

Are you marrying her or both ? Is she using you just to get herself and the sister in the UK? Sounds like it, but then you haven't given us much info, so we can only reply on what you said.
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

I suppose you have covered this topic before but here goes anyway. I plan to marry a Filipina girl early next year. She wants her 18 year old sister to come and live with us here in Scotland. I don't have a problem with that at all but I need to know the ins and outs of the law about doing this. Can anyone shed some light on this please?
    Thanks.
    George.
    Hi George, welcome to the forum!

I'm not an immigration expert, but as far as I know, it's easier to bring a domestic helper who has been working with you for a year than to bring a sibling to live with you for good.

You may want to visit this site:

http://www.justlanded.com/english/UK...Family-Members

it says on the site: Similarly, any other relative (sister, brother, aunt, uncle etc) of a person settled in the UK may apply to join them if there are “exceptional compassionate circumstances".
    "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

If you dont have a problem with the sis coming over good luck,though if I may make a suggestion?Ask her can you have a year or two together alone first Just to get to know each other a little better and iron out any cultural issues and personal differences,gives you time to gel together before sis is added to the household

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Respected Member britishdetained's Avatar
    Thanks.
    George.
    hi george, it will be difficult for her to be allowed to get a visa even if you hire her that can be difficult too as she is only 18. i will only give you advise that bringing her on the early stage of your marriage is a big NONO. many things a man and wife have to sort out as you are just married. both of you needs space first to sort our your differences and worked out with your life being a couple
    There once was a girl that believed in mankind, that there was still honor and chivalry that existed in everyone of us. She also believed that everyone deserves a chance to prove oneself individually and hoped that the courtesy would be returned. That girl is dead now, and all that is left is her shadow. To give one a chance to prove thyself is a chance for you to become dwindled in the dissappointment.

I can understand your fiancee wanting this to happen, but I really dont think its a good idea.
    You're goingto need all the time you have to get to know each other, without having someone else in the mix getting in the way.

Is it possible you can make plans to bring her sis over after 1 year, or when you can?
    You realise that you wil be expected to support her from your own finances when she comes? SUpporting 1 additional person is hard, supporting 2 might just be TOO hard.

Think VERY, VERY carefully about this, and understand that YOU hold the reins here. You can decide either way.

Thanks.
    George.
    Good Morning George, and Welcome. Sorry to put a dampner on your plans straight from the outset mate, but I have to say that it's less than ideal for ANY couple to START married life with a "third party" in tow ... be it parents, siblings, other relatives or friends. And this is because ALL newly-weds need "space" to adjust and adapt to the many changes that living together as man and wife inevitably entail.

But equally, it's extremely unlikely the British Embassy will grant a visa to enable your [by then] wife's 18/19 year-old-sister to RESIDE with you in the UK [see link provided by my fellow member, Olivia (Miss Piggy)] which clearly states that there must be "exceptional compassionate circumstances" for this rule to be waived.

I just want to say that I totally agree with what the other guys have said. This sounds like a very bad idea for to even consider.

Also take note what Win2Win says..... "Are you marrying her or both ? Is she using you just to get herself and the sister in the UK? Sounds like it, but then you haven't given us much info, so we can only reply on what you said."

My gut feeling is this is a BIG no-no.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post

I am not quite sure if I like this veiled blackmail....
    Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Put your foot down, stupid idea

The relationship is YOU and HER, anyone else involved in the early years of a relationship tend to mess things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Ask her can you have a year or two together alone first Just to get to know each other a little better and iron out any cultural issues and personal differences
    Agree, agree, agree
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"
    "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost"

Careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats the reason she wants to bring her sister? Maybe she is scared to come alone? It can't be easy for Filipino's to leave the cosyness of family life..it's a bit like going swimming for the first time or something..

There are 7 Planes Of Existance:

7 — Material Plane: The earth, where you are right now.
    6 — Plane of Forces
    5 — Astral Plane
    4 — Mental Plane
    3 — Too mysterious to describe.
    2 — Too mysterious to describe.
    1 — Too mysterious to describe.

But she isnt going to be swimming on her own Nigel,she will be in the pool with her husband It is strange wanting to bring your sis when your about to embark on married life though Most ladies just want to be alone with their husbands,how old is the lady?

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Respected Member
    Thanks.
    George.
    Hi,

I have read most of the replies. Filipino family ties are strong and the familes stay close.
    BUT, for every genuine relationship, there is a visa scammer around somewhere.
    Facts are getting a visa for youe new wife is not strightforwrd but others on here can advise on that.

Assuming everything is upfront genuine and family concerns ( we dont know if the 18 year old will be on her own in PI )

I suggest a cop out for you, if you need one, is actually check out the visa situation first before making any other plans. If there are problems, it could take a couple of years to sort it out...which gives you breathing space.

Remember poor Diana on TV, " There are three of us in this marriage", its not good to kick off with.
    And the next thing you will have i steh cost of a growing and expensive "daughter" new to the west and needing a bucket load of new stuff!

best of luck

Hi CLAMABAZ welcome to the forum.

I may say i agree with what other members had said that it is better for both of you to be on your own first before inviting anyone from her family to live with you as you will just be starting your married life. Everyone has undergone adjustments during the early years of the married life. So i may also say that it is best to think and plan later for her 18 y.o. sister to come to the UK.

If your gf is scared or feels lonely of being away from her family or she just want her sister to get to the UK, we don't know. It is only her who will know what's behind her mind.

Some are really making use (or taking advantage) of the bf/husband as the bridge just so they (members of her family) will get a chance to step foot to the UK soil as well, or some are just simply well attached to the family (as that is a filipino culture) ..... family oriented.

I hope you and your gf will arrive at the right decision which is beneficial to both of you, as we all know marriage is between two people (not three)... I wish you all the best...

Cheers!
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Banned
    put your foot down now i am just going to agree with the other guys

dont be fecking stupid but if you want to marry them both well buy a big bed

the sister is still only 18 so she will have her own issues with visas and such like to sort out

Quote Originally Posted by trader dave View Post
    put your foot down now i am just going to agree with the other guys

dont be fecking stupid but if you want to marry them both well buy a big bed

the sister is still only 18 so she will have her own issues with visas and such like to sort out
    A big bed Why? Two's company threes a crowd is certainly a truism in any marriage,you could always test her reaction,tell her theres no way her sis is coming to live with you,see how she reacts to that

Banned

Talking

A big bed Why? Two's company threes a crowd is certainly a truism in any marriage,you could always test her reaction,tell her theres no way her sis is coming to live with you,see how she reacts to that

well if young sister i going to share there life she might as well share the see what the reaction is

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trader dave View Post
    well if young sister i going to share there life she might as well share the see what the reaction is
    hayyy... naughty... kinky... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Florge View Post
    hayyy... naughty... kinky... LOL
    Dave is the ultimate bad influence

Banned
    Dave is the ultimate bad influence
    I agree!!! lol

@Dave

Banned

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Florge View Post
    I agree!!! lol

@Dave
    only a joke lang

I don't have a problem with that at all but I need to know the ins and outs of the law about doing this. Can anyone shed some light on this please?
    you might not have a problem but immigration will have if your British. as someone has already said, the only way would have been in the most 'exceptional compassionate circumstances' which i very much doubt her sister would qualify for and as she is over 18 makes it even more difficult.

other options are apply for a student visa or marries a european living in the uk.

Thanks.
    George.
    Your must be joking, it's hard enough for Filipina's to bring their sons or daughters here with them. They have to prove that the have sole responsibility for them and that no one else that can care for them or support them if they stay in the Philippines.

Apart from, as others have said, it would be a very bad idea to start your married life in this way, there is absolutely no way she would get a visa, so you should tell your fiancee that ASAP, so she doesn't get her hopes raised on this one.

Iain

Hey by the way. Happy Birthday & Welcome here.

Respected Member britishdetained's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    Hey by the way. Happy Birthday & Welcome here.
    yeah just noticed it its his birthday...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    There once was a girl that believed in mankind, that there was still honor and chivalry that existed in everyone of us. She also believed that everyone deserves a chance to prove oneself individually and hoped that the courtesy would be returned. That girl is dead now, and all that is left is her shadow. To give one a chance to prove thyself is a chance for you to become dwindled in the dissappointment.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Think first before you decide.......or else u gonna

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Quote Originally Posted by sexyangel View Post
    Think first before you decide.......or else u gonna
    haayyyyyyyyyy,,,, such life

Well, I'd better explain this a little more clearly. I'm sorry I didn't give you more info at the start so here goes. Maritess is 25 years old and her sister, Dianne is 18. She is studying at college to be a nurse and has 3 years to go so she wouldn't be coming over until 2012.As for Maritess, we have been talking for quite a few months now. We talk nearly every day by webcam. When I talk on the phone I also talk to her parents. Maritess has a Bsc in Commerce. We just started to talk about everyday things and as I am 56 as of today I never thought about a relationship, I just enjoyed talking to her. Obviously I was aware of the age gap and as we talked I started to have feelings for her and it was the same for her and the age gap didn't seem to bother her. Yes, it did go through my mind that I was being used to get her over here but the more we talked the more I trusted her. I plan on going over there for a holiday first to see how we get on face to face. Another thing is her religion. She is am ember of Iglesia Ni Christo and this seems to be quite a radical religion, if that is the right word and she wants me to convert to her religion before we can marry. So after all that the question is ,would she be allowed to come here as my wife and could her sister come here in 2012.
    Thanks for all the replies folks.
    George.

Quote Originally Posted by clamabaz View Post
    well, i'd better explain this a little more clearly. I'm sorry i didn't give you more info at the start so here goes. ...George.
    happy birthday, george!!!
    "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information