Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Visa Confusion

Visa Confusion

I'm a Filipina student in the US but my boyfriend is British and we used to want to move to the Philippines after I graduate next year. Unfortunately, looking at the opportunities for people in my field, I've come to realise that there really aren't many opportunities in the Philippines for me unless I do like a lot of Filipinas do (disregard my Bachelor's and Master's degrees, and find a job, any job). I don't think living in the US would be an option for us either. He just started working and he has some sort of bond with the company that requires him to stay in the UK for a couple more years before requesting to be reassigned elsewhere.

I've been looking for opportunities in the UK and have found some interesting ones. So I may be leaving to work in England if things go well.

My question is if my being on an employment visa will affect my ability to marry my boyfriend, if and when that time comes. Also, would I be required to change to a different type of visa then? I didn't see anything that could answer my question on the border agency's website. Is there anyone here that can help me? I'd really appreciate it.

Respected Member
    If you enter the UK on a working permit and want to marry in the UK you will need to apply for a Certificate of Approval (COA).

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ateofapproval/

Thank you! That answered a few of the questions in my head. I still have some things I need answers to, but I guess I'll have to wait until after I graduate. Still, would be nice to make longterm plans instead of waiting until two or three months before I get my degree.

Thanks again for the link!

Banned
    Hi,

The following link may not apply to you but it is probably worth you reading it:

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....ghlight=deport

Hmm, apparently, I don't have access two of the three videos because I'm not currently in the UK, but I was able to watch the bit about her having to leave because of her age. Thankfully, this isn't going to be a problem for us as we're both in our 20's, and I'm even a couple years older than my boyfriend. I wish the border agency would answer their bloomin' phones for once and tell me whether I'm worrying for nothing or if there's something I need to do before I turn down job offers outside the UK.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dontpushme View Post
    Thank you! That answered a few of the questions in my head. I still have some things I need answers to, but I guess I'll have to wait until after I graduate. Still, would be nice to make longterm plans instead of waiting until two or three months before I get my degree.

Thanks again for the link!
    Quote Originally Posted by dontpushme View Post
    Hmm, apparently, I don't have access two of the three videos because I'm not currently in the UK, but I was able to watch the bit about her having to leave because of her age. Thankfully, this isn't going to be a problem for us as we're both in our 20's, and I'm even a couple years older than my boyfriend. I wish the border agency would answer their bloomin' phones for once and tell me whether I'm worrying for nothing or if there's something I need to do before I turn down job offers outside the UK.
    You may though want to start looking into your chances of getting a work permit for your chosen career now. If you've studied in the UK it's fairly straightforward to get a work permit, if you studied outside the UK it's not so straightforward.

Okay. I'm still about a year away from graduation (hopefully, I'll graduate ) but I'll look harder for answers as I'm sure it won't be easy to get in even with a job.

I didn't spend too much time networking at the conference I just went to so the only UK organisation I got a half-decent offer from is a volunteer organisation. I'd love to be part of that, but I don't think I'd be able to afford staying in the UK without a salary.

Thread Information