Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Going back to uni...need to take ielts test first?

Is it manadatory that I take the IELTS Test first before I can enroll for a degree here in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by miss.piggy View Post
    Is it manadatory that I take the IELTS Test first before I can enroll for a degree here in the UK?
    Nope, I don't think so... well it depends what course you're going to take...

Glad you made that i couldn't find me specs

Well they would not ask most people who live in the UK if you can prove in the interview that you can communicate i doubt it.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    lol... I'm near-sighted hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    Nope, I don't think so... well it depends what course you're going to take...

Hello Zobel....

Thanks for the reply (and thanks for the rep I received from you for my previous post!).

Got my bachelors degree from Manila, but not business related. Since I've been in commerce all my career life, I decided to go back to school and get a business management degree.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post

Well they would not ask most people who live in the UK if you can prove in the interview that you can communicate i doubt it.
    I thought it would suit me best to do distance learning so not to affect my full time job. I don't think there's any interviews required prior to enrollment. They only ask for my qualifications plus work experiences and said I qualify. I do not worry much if I really need to take that ielts test, but I'd also appreciate the time I'd save if I do not have to do it.

Thanks for the reply!

distant learning with who ?

open university is good, you don't need any qualifications to start most of the degrees, but depending on your level of English and maths it might be wise you do a basic English\maths course. but you probably wouldn't need to..

have you ILR ? and i think you must have had it 1 yr, or you will probably have to pay international fees

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

open university is good, you don't need any qualifications to start most of the degrees, but depending on your level of English and maths it might be wise you do a basic English\maths course. but you probably wouldn't need to..

have you ILR ? and i think you must have had it 1 yr, or you will probably have to pay international fees
    If you are married to someone with settled status in the UK I think it's you just need to have been resident in the UK for at least 3 years, during which you didn't receive full-time education for any length of time.

(though for most spouses that would mean having ILR)

Thanks Joe...I am looking at RDI for a few months now and viewed their prospectus which seems okay to me. I contacted ICS a few days ago and they told me to get IELTS test first and then I can move forward.

I'll check on Open Uni....thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    If you are married to someone with settled status in the UK I think it's you just need to have been resident in the UK for at least 3 years, during which you didn't receive full-time education for any length of time.

(though for most spouses that would mean having ILR)

When we finally decided to move in to the UK, I obviously applied for a visa and I was given an ILR automatically. It's kind of weird for some, but it's definitely what I have. I went to renew the visa a year after but I was told it's not necessary because I already have an Idefinite Leave to Remain.

I'll speak with them again and see what they have to say about this.

Many thanks, guys.

When we finally decided to move in to the UK, I obviously applied for a visa and I was given an ILR automatically. It's kind of weird for some, but it's definitely what I have. I went to renew the visa a year after but I was told it's not necessary because I already have an Idefinite Leave to Remain.

I'll speak with them again and see what they have to say about this.

Many thanks, guys.
    ILR automatically

what does your visa say on it ? have you taken the life in uk test ?

how long was your husband living with you outside the uk, b4 you came to the uk ?

open university is one of the best, if not the best for distance learning, it has 100,000s of students

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/

ILR automatically
    Yup, I got Indefinite Leave to Remain. We're a permanent resident of Singapore, and that's where I applied the visa from. I think it was in Croydon where I went to renew, but I was told when they checked my visa that it's not necessary cuz I already have an ILR. Me and my husband were actually so confused then, as we are following advices from a friend married to a Pinay, who basically experienced the whole procedure. But hey, it cost us a trip to Croydon but saved us on the visa fee.

what does your visa say on it ? have you taken the life in uk test ?
    If I can remember it right (as my passport is not in front of me now) it says: Indefinite Leave to Remain the UK. Then something about me being a spouse of a UK national. (and the best bit) No recourse to public funds.

Nope, I haven't taken the test yet. But will do at any point now.

how long was your husband living with you outside the uk, b4 you came to the uk ?
    My husband has been living in the far east for 15 years before we moved in. We were together for 5 years then.

open university is one of the best, if not the best for distance learning, it has 100,000s of students

checked the site. the modules are cheaper as well. Thank you very much.

If I can remember it right (as my passport is not in front of me now) it says: Indefinite Leave to Remain the UK. Then something about me being a spouse of a UK national. (and the best bit) No recourse to public funds.
    i don't think you have ILR, if you did,youre visa wouldn't say 'NO recourse to public funds'

when did you come to the uk?

you might have ILE based on being married and living together outside the UK for 4yrs, but to get that you needed to have passed the life in uk test first..

so either you came to the uk more than 2 1/2 yrs ago or possibly the embassy has made a mistake

without knowing exactly what it say on your visa and without knowing when you came to the uk i'm only guessing.. but from what you've said something is not right

i don't think you have ILR, if you did,youre visa wouldn't say 'NO recourse to public funds'

when did you come to the uk?

you might have ILE based on being married and living together outside the UK for 4yrs, but to get that you needed to have passed the life in uk test first..

so either you came to the uk more than 2 1/2 yrs ago or possibly the embassy has made a mistake

without knowing exactly what it say on your visa and without knowing when you came to the uk i'm only guessing.. but from what you've said something is not right
    Hi Joe, Many thanks again for the reply. I am looking at my passport now and has to correct a few info I've given:

You are right...it says 'Indefinite leave to ENTER the UK". Type is 'Visa Settlement Wife'. It doesn't say No recourse to public funds - my error ( I was thinking of my previous visitor visa ). This visa is valid from 12/04/07 which was the actual date I flew to the UK with my kids to permanenly live here.

That is so confusing because I've never taken the test ever. When I went to the home office for renewal (that never happened because of the type of visa I received from Singapore), I was given a file of paper to prepare for my test and eventually get a british passport if i wanted to. My husband and I looked at each other cuz we believed from the start I couldn't do this not until I stayed for around 3 years. And I've been around for just a year then!!! Although I was given the go signal by the officer at the home office, I still didn't push getting the test and the passport.

Do you think I'd be facing any complications because of this? (Last thing I'd want really!)

Thanks again Joe.

Hi Joe, Many thanks again for the reply. I am looking at my passport now and has to correct a few info I've given:

You are right...it says 'Indefinite leave to ENTER the UK". Type is 'Visa Settlement Wife'. It doesn't say No recourse to public funds - my error ( I was thinking of my previous visitor visa ). This visa is valid from 12/04/07 which was the actual date I flew to the UK with my kids to permanenly live here.

That is so confusing because I've never taken the test ever. When I went to the home office for renewal (that never happened because of the type of visa I received from Singapore), I was given a file of paper to prepare for my test and eventually get a british passport if i wanted to. My husband and I looked at each other cuz we believed from the start I couldn't do this not until I stayed for around 3 years. And I've been around for just a year then!!! Although I was given the go signal by the officer at the home office, I still didn't push getting the test and the passport.

Do you think I'd be facing any complications because of this? (Last thing I'd want really!)

Thanks again Joe.
    i think lady luck was on your side yes as i thought you have ILE, and you applied for your visa before 2/4/2007, meaning you didn't need to do the 'life in uk' test, but anyone who applied not long after you would have had to taken the test first to get ILE , as i said before you can only take the test in the uk , so you would have had to apply for a normal spouse visa or come on a visit visa and take the life in uk test, then apply for ile.

you still need to take the life in uk test to apply for citizenship, but yes you have ILE which is the same as ILR.

no you've got no problems with your visa

oh i forgot you need to be in the uk 3 years before you can apply for citizenship and you need to pass the life in uk test first

i think lady luck was on your side yes as i thought you have ILE, and you applied for your visa before 2/4/2007, meaning you didn't need to do the 'life in uk' test, but anyone who applied not long after you would have had to taken the test first to get ILE , as i said before you can only take the test in the uk , so you would have had to apply for a normal spouse visa or come on a visit visa and take the life in uk test, then apply for ile.

you still need to take the life in uk test to apply for citizenship, but yes you have ILE which is the same as ILR.

no you've got no problems with your visa
    Joe, I wasn't breathing til I got your reply! Maraming salamat!

Joe, I wasn't breathing til I got your reply! Maraming salamat!
    Yep, he knows all...

Yep, he knows all...
    true, true. helps immensely.

Thanks for the link, I might get a Child-care/child-minder course hehe... So I could earn while at home taking care of someone else's kids just in case I will get pregnant again...hahaha...

Thanks for the link, I might get a Child-care/child-minder course hehe... So I could earn while at home taking care of someone else's kids just in case I will get pregnant again...hahaha...
    planning for another baby yehey.........go go

Try the surestart manay for the course
    LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

Thread Information