Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Respected Member

Talking The Most Ridiculous Filipina "Old Wives Tale" I've Heard

This one is brilliant! My wife even hesitated to tell me because she realises how silly it is!

When he woke up the other day, our baby son had some hair on the back of his head stuck together.

"Oh dear", exclaimed my wife. "He's been visited by dwarves and they've been playing with his hair and twisting it together!"

I just cracked up. That's the funniest one I've ever heard!

My previous favourite was "if you go to bed with wet hair, you'll wake up blind", but this one is much better!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesey View Post
    This one is brilliant! My wife even hesitated to tell me because she realises how silly it is!

When he woke up the other day, our baby son had some hair on the back of his head stuck together.

"Oh dear", exclaimed my wife. "He's been visited by dwarves and they've been playing with his hair and twisting it together!"

My previous favourite was "if you go to bed with wet hair, you'll wake up blind", but this one is much better!
    oh aye, we have loads of different superstitous belief in the Philippines. but I havent heard yet with the first one u mentioned.

but with the second i was brought up with that kind of belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Alec&Davina View Post
    oh aye, we have loads of different superstitous belief in the Philippines. but I havent heard yet with the first one u mentioned.

but with the second i was brought up with that kind of belief.
    hahaha... tell me more about it!!

I used to be told that if I run around the garden naked I'd be arrested.....haven't been caught yet
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    I used to be told that if I run around the garden naked I'd be arrested.....haven't been caught yet
    Are you sure? Check google earth (street view)

Banned

Ha ha ha. there is one as well. Don't trim finger nails at night because it is bad. Someone might die. Lol, but of course it's not true.

Nice thread Jamesey!!!.
    I have heard this from my grandmother - refrain from sweeping the floor at night because luck will be swept out of the house...
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

Rubbing mango chutney on your front door will stop elephants from entering your house. (Works for me!)

Al.
    Pressed rat and warthog closed down their shop!

Respected Member

LOL, i've already heard about this myth of "going to bed with wet hair" stuff but this is the first time i've heard about the dwarf playing on a baby's hair
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"
    "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost"

when i was young i thought santa was real??
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Respected Member
    when i was young, i thought "tooth fairy" was real, lol, i didn't know it's my mom
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"

Respected Member
    yeah tooth fairies and santa.lol

yeah tooth fairies and santa.lol
    false hopes ...

Respected Member
    very funny this one
    It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.

Banned

Wink

dont forget the sandman

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trader dave View Post
    dont forget the sandman
    lol, scary one

Oh when we had a house blessings...we throw out coins, eat jackfruit... etc to bring luck

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by eagles View Post
    Oh when we had a house blessings...we throw out coins, eat jackfruit... etc to bring luck
    Can you throw some coins to me please? Or preferably notes.

Al.

Not long after my wife arrived here we had a Chinese takeaway. Once I had finished eating mine and cleared the plate, my wife decided that she couln't eat any more and asked me if I wanted her leftovers. I said yes and took her plate with the leftovers, put it on top of my empty plate and started to eat.

My wife grabbed both plates from me and had a bitof a fit, so I asked what was wrong. She said that if I eat from one plate on top of someone elses empty plate, this means I'll run off with another woman.
    Iain.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    Not long after my wife arrived here we had a Chinese takeaway. Once I had finished eating mine and cleared the plate, my wife decided that she couln't eat any more and asked me if I wanted her leftovers. I said yes and took her plate with the leftovers, put it on top of my empty plate and started to eat.

My wife grabbed both plates from me and had a bitof a fit, so I asked what was wrong. She said that if I eat from one plate on top of someone elses empty plate, this means I'll run off with another woman.
    Iain.
    What's her name Iain?

Al.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post

Iain.
    Lol, this is funny
    But i've heard of something else about this "plate on top of each other" stuff,
    they said that if someone is still eating and the others are already finished and clearing up the table
    and if they put their used plates on top of each other for washing, the woman who is still eating will not be able to marry
    how strange is that, lol

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    What's her name Iain?

Al.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    Lol, this is funny
    But i've heard of something else about this "plate on top of each other" stuff,
    they said that if someone is still eating and the others are already finished and clearing up the table
    and if they put their used plates on top of each other for washing, the woman who is still eating will not be able to marry
    how strange is that, lol
    yeah Ive heard tis one too Sophie.

also if u're all eating in a table and one person decided to leave u have to turn the plate to make sure he will be safe..

Three that stand out,dont have sex during pregnancy or the baby will have dandruff Dont take a shower as soon as you arrive home after a hot day or it will affect your eyesight Dont sleep under one of those huge banyan trees as the spirits that live there will enter your mind

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Banned
    wifey warned me about eating late at night , she tells me dont go to sleep for at least an hour after you have eaten or you will have bad dreams that you wont wake from

Respected Member
    yeah Ive heard tis one too Sophie.

also if u're all eating in a table and one person decided to leave u have to turn the plate to make sure he will be safe..
    LOL, i've heard of this one too

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meandwifey View Post
    wifey warned me about eating late at night , she tells me dont go to sleep for at least an hour after you have eaten or you will have bad dreams that you wont wake from
    Oh i've heard this one too, that if you eat too much or so stuffed just before you go to bed, you would have nightmares

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    Oh i've heard this one too, that if you eat too much or so stuffed just before you go to bed, you would have nightmares
    ...and eventually die of bangungot???
    The bravest thing that men do is love women--Mort Sahl

Banned
    This is funny! Specially that of Ian's... lol

Would like to share a quick list of some Filipino superstitions:

* If you cut yourself on Good Friday, the cut will take months to heal.
    * If you have sex on Good Friday, you will never be able to extract your penis, remaining joined until you die.
    * If you bbq or fry food on Good Friday, you will get black freckles on your face.
    * Don't go to a baptism when pregnant or the two kids will be enemies.
    * Don't clip fingernails at night or you will have a fight with your parents.
    * Don't bathe when you are menstruating or your ovaries will be damaged by the water.
    * If you are a virgin, don't sing while cooking or you will marry an old man.
    * If you eat bananas when pregnant, you will have twins.
    * If your baby is always sick, you must change his name.
    * If you see a monkey when pregnant, your child will be wild. Seeing or hearing about any animal will make your child resemble that animal.
    * If you dream of losing your teeth, a family member will die.
    * Don't sweep the house at night or you sweep away the blessings.
    * If someone leave the dinner table, turn your plate around or you will not have food soon.
    * Say a special phrase "Porya Gaba" when throwing away discarded rice or you will lose all your money and never have rice again.
    * Sighing while eating causes your spirit to starve. The solution is to force the person to eat a great deal of food immediately.
    * Don't kill ants in your house. They are a sign of a happy family.
    * All houses and vehicles must be blessed by a priest or they will be destroyed by the devil.
    * Pink eye can be cured with breast milk or with the first urine in the morning.
    * Virgins do get pregnant from swimming pools and public baths.
    * During a girl's first menstruation, she must be careful not to step in animal waste, or her mense blood will always smell awful. During the first menstruation, a girl should rub tomato on her face to ensure she always has soft skin. Blood from the first menstruation cures pimples if rubbed on one's face.
    * Birth control pills and semen build up inside the vagina, requiring periodic cleaning by a doctor. (More: Birth control pills cause cancer. Birth control pills taken before a first pregnancy make you infertile. Birth control pills make you fat. Birth control pills make your breasts grow. All filipinas are allergic to condoms.)

Funny but true... and some of us believes in some of them... LOL

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gracia143 View Post
    ...and eventually die of bangungot???
    exactly, lol I can't even believe i bought this one back in childhood, as i used to be really scared to go to bed stuffed back then lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information