Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Manila Safe?

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    OK here's the unsafe.

Only Christian country in Asia but beware of pick pockets and snatchers in Quiapo close to church and Divisoria

Unsafe ladies: Ermita at dark and Ermita red lights street
    Luneta ladies roaming around.
    Unsafe ladies are everywhere in Manila nowadays penny,loads in QC,Makati,Pasay,malate,paranaque,seen dangerous ladies trawling the streets at night in all those places,you just need to know where to loo...Ahem,I mean which areas to avoid

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

Respected Member
    It's a safe place indeed! just expect lots and lots and lots of traffic..

Mabuhay sa Maynila Your first introduction to the delights/dangers of Metro Manila will be the airport taxi depending upon which side of the bed your Cabbie got out of that morning you will either be charged an extortionate amount,or a bankrupting amount for the pleasure of sitting in Manilas traffic for an hour as he takes you the 6 kilometers to the hotel of your choice

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

And if you question your cabbies driving ability or route he in turn,as once happened to me,will question your parentage

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by englishbird View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. I have yet to make a final decision
    so I think we will just stay in Manila.
    Very Good You made the right decision

Banned
    your with a guy why are you worrying he is your guide he will look after you makati area thats ok the fort area went there to the british embassy did not see a lot else there plenty of building work going on

Respected Member
    manilas as safe as the guy your with. if you can trust him well and he has his wits about him you should be as safe with him as you would be in london.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Iran is safer than the UK
    Which goes to show that anywhere in the world there would be places that aren't safe at all. Holloway Road in London for instance is neither safe...in Lancaster Gate a lot of guests lost their bags although it's the Westminster Area and policemen are just lurking nearby.

I am pretty sure you will be safe in Manila as you will be with your friend who is a Filipino, he won't do stupid things to put you at risk. Manila was my second home and I would love to be back and enjoy it even for a couple of days.

I hope you will enjoy Manila and do keep safe!
    The bravest thing that men do is love women--Mort Sahl

Quote Originally Posted by chris40 View Post
    manilas as safe as the guy your with. if you can trust him well and he has his wits about him you should be as safe with him as you would be in london.
    I trust him completely. He is from manila, so he knows where not to take me.

I guess im just concerned because everytime I say to a friend or colleague that Im thinking of going there, they look at me as if I ve lost the plot!.

I guess im just concerned because everytime I say to a friend or colleague that Im thinking of going there, they look at me as if I ve lost the plot!.
    Ahh no worries at all, you'll be safe there. I remember that I've got the same looks this January when I've told my colleagues and my folks that I'm going to Philippines for a month...
    And they looked at me as I didn't lost just the plot - but my mind as well
    Jiri & Maricel

.....they look at me as if I ve lost the plot!.
    Probably because they know you're not very good at swinging in the trees
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Banned

No, they feel envy to you, because your going to asean country which is very friendly, hospitality, you will get warm welcome for sure if the man who will guide you will inroduce to his relatives/colleague etc..etc..
    No, seriously speaking, you will be fine trust me

Quote Originally Posted by Ji&Ma View Post
    Ahh - And they looked at me as I didn't lost just the plot - but my mind as well

They're either just jealous or fainthearted. I'm sure you'll be safe as other members have already told you!
    The bravest thing that men do is love women--Mort Sahl

Quote Originally Posted by gracia143 View Post
    They're either just jealous or fainthearted. I'm sure you'll be safe as other members have already told you!
    I've been there already in January - sorry - used wrong words in my original post, it is changed now.
    Obviously I've felt safe there as my mahal took a good care about me
    Jiri & Maricel

Manilla is safe unless you dress like this

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    Manilla is safe unless you dress like this
    Whats that, fancy Halloween dress???
    Jiri & Maricel

Banned
    You think bullet wont get through to that........

Is that the puti babae win?I remember being told she stalks the cemeteries at night looking for guys to seduce

i am just back from manila...i was in manila for 3 weeks not in makati...i was staying with my asawa at her home in rizal.. but from what i have heard makati is 1. big 2. busy 3. nice. but a city is as safe as u make it. i am sure ur friend will look after you,... ingat palagi!!.

Manilla was safe last time I visited, I got mugged no more than I did in Manchester

You always feel safe in Manila with all the heavily armed guards in the hotels,and the shopping malls,and McDonalds,and the sweet shops...........

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardB View Post
    Makati is safeish. The trouble is, that it looks and feels more Western than most Asian cities but it is really the least Western in terms of safety & stability. Greenbelt looks and feels very upscale. It is fun but don't scratch the surface.

If you are doing a 4/5* fine. But understand that the classifications are muddled & pricing like everything else in RP is what you negotiate.

I recommend the Ascott by miles. The Peninsular & Mandarin are OK but are both full of hookers & pricing and room quality very variable.

After that the rest of the 4/5's are really much of a muchness irrespective of official classification. If anything after that I'd recommend The Somerset Salcedo (Ascott chain) again) but don't get the wrong Somerset whatever you do (locals will get my point).

& wow a Brit Woman with a Filipino you have broken the mold on here! Just enjoy the place the people are wonderful. It is a fantastically pretty country other than stunningly ugly but fascinating Manilla - but the government & systems are shambolic.
    Thanks for your advise, the Ascott looks great but seems abit out of my price range. I really like the look of the Somerset Salcedo, and the offers on their own website are amazing. I will definately be staying there if I go to Manila.

Thanks again

Respected Member
    Thanks for your advise, the Ascott looks great but seems abit out of my price range. I really like the look of the Somerset Salcedo, and the offers on their own website are amazing. I will definately be staying there if I go to Manila.

Thanks again
    Join the loyalty club for the Ascott Group - The Somersets' are part of the same chain. When you log in you'll find some much more attractive rates - & currently a 25% discount offer on the best rates, but non refundable. You should be able to get The Ascott for round about £100 for a very large one bedroom suite including a good buffet breakfast for 2 & you may get free internet, local calls & possibly at least a one way airport transfer. The Somersets should be nearer £60.

Of The Somersets' I marginally prefer The Millennium which is in a quiet street very close to Greenbelt.

Two other things. Firstly if you aren't being picked up get the hotel to book you a car. It will be from the Nissan counter which is just outside the doors on the right. The airport has a kind of inner security area in to which non passengers find it almost impossible to enter. The Nissan counter is in this inner sanctum. The car will cost more but you will avoid having to go out in to the Zoo, which is scary enough let alone on your first visit and after a very long flight.

Secondly this may make me a bit unpopular for pointing it out, but if you aren't clearly white, unbelievable as it may sound, you are likely to encounter some racism!!

Safe in Manila

Thats true actually,the n***er word is commonly used to describe africans,and its a common misconception,though often repeated,that the indian five-six guys stink

Some of the most beautiful women I have seen in pinas are the darkest,yet its the lightest pinays who get the jobs presenting on TV or hosting chatshows etc,theres most certainly an underlying current of racism running through pinoy society

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardB View Post
    Join the loyalty club for the Ascott Group - The Somersets' are part of the same chain. When you log in you'll find some much more attractive rates - & currently a 25% discount offer on the best rates, but non refundable. You should be able to get The Ascott for round about £100 for a very large one bedroom suite including a good buffet breakfast for 2 & you may get free internet, local calls & possibly at least a one way airport transfer. The Somersets should be nearer £60.

Of The Somersets' I marginally prefer The Millennium which is in a quiet street very close to Greenbelt.

Two other things. Firstly if you aren't being picked up get the hotel to book you a car. It will be from the Nissan counter which is just outside the doors on the right. The airport has a kind of inner security area in to which non passengers find it almost impossible to enter. The Nissan counter is in this inner sanctum. The car will cost more but you will avoid having to go out in to the Zoo, which is scary enough let alone on your first visit and after a very long flight.

Secondly this may make me a bit unpopular for pointing it out, but if you aren't clearly white, unbelievable as it may sound, you are likely to encounter some racism!!

Thanks for the advise on the loyalty club. Is it safe for me to use my credit card on theie website?.

I will be met at the airport, so will probably just try and grab a local cab and let my friend do the talking.

I am very white!!, so hopefully no racism.

Thanks again

Banned
    .I am very white!!, so hopefully no racism.
    For sure NO, and filipino people like white and some wanted to be white

You will be fine englishbird. Enjoy your stay in Manila.
    Best of luck..

Cheers!
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Some of the most beautiful women I have seen in pinas are the darkest,yet its the lightest pinays who get the jobs presenting on TV or hosting chatshows etc,theres most certainly an underlying current of racism running through pinoy society
    Filipinos prefer whiter skin and foreigners prefer darker skin..
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information