Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Does anyone tried to claim JSA?(Jobseekers Allowance)

Does anyone tried here to claim JSA?co'z i just did apply online i am currently looking for work so it say than you can claim now since you have no restriction anymore...i dont know i am not expecting to get a yes result from it, i just want to try it wont hurt anyway if i am turned down.
    Filipina a born survivor!

try going to your local job centre.

it doesnt hurt trying
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    try going to your local job centre.

it doesnt hurt trying
    I just did apply onlineit says they will contact me after 2 days so fingerscrossed, it would be another information here regarding benefits...ill post the result

there are 2 types of JSA,

1. Contribution-based JSA (JSA(CB)) If you have been paid or have been treated as having paid NI contributions you may be able to get JSA(CB) which is paid at a fixed rate based on your age for up to 26 weeks.

If you are entitled to JSA(CB) but your income is still below the minimum level the law says you need to live on, you may be able to get some income-based JSA (JSA(IB)).

You can get an occupational or personal pension of up to £50 a week before your contribution based JSA is affected. This applies regardless of your age. However, if it exceeds £50, JSA entitlement is reduced penny for penny.

2. Income-based JSA (JSA(IB) If you are on a low income you may get income-based JSA, even if you have not paid NI contributions.

Income-based JSA is based on how much the law says you need to live on. Any savings you have may affect your entitlement. If you are under 60, savings between £3000 and under £8000 affect the amount you will receive. Over this amount usually means you cannot claim. If you or your partner are over 60, savings between £6000 and £12000 affect your benefit and you usually cannot claim above this amount.

basically, if you have not worked or your hubby works more than part time then you will get 0

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    there are 2 types of JSA,

1. Contribution-based JSA (JSA(CB)) If you have been paid or have been treated as having paid NI contributions you may be able to get JSA(CB) which is paid at a fixed rate based on your age for up to 26 weeks.

If you are entitled to JSA(CB) but your income is still below the minimum level the law says you need to live on, you may be able to get some income-based JSA (JSA(IB)).

You can get an occupational or personal pension of up to £50 a week before your contribution based JSA is affected. This applies regardless of your age. However, if it exceeds £50, JSA entitlement is reduced penny for penny.

2. Income-based JSA (JSA(IB) If you are on a low income you may get income-based JSA, even if you have not paid NI contributions.

Income-based JSA is based on how much the law says you need to live on. Any savings you have may affect your entitlement. If you are under 60, savings between £3000 and under £8000 affect the amount you will receive. Over this amount usually means you cannot claim. If you or your partner are over 60, savings between £6000 and £12000 affect your benefit and you usually cannot claim above this amount.

basically, if you have not worked or your hubby works more than part time then you will get 0
    well, if that's the case i can only see whats the result is as i thought that JSA is for people who have been long out of work and those who are looking for work so i dont really know what they meant by that anyway, i am just curious about it. if i dont get any it doesnt matter to me.

Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance

You may get contribution-based Jobseekers Allowance if you have paid or been credited with class 1 National Insurance (NI) contributions in the relevant tax years.

have you worked b4 in the uk ?

and

Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

This is based on your income and savings. You may get this if you have not paid enough National Insurance contributions (NICs)

If your partner or civil partner works 24 hours or more a week on average, you can't usually get income-based JSA (contribution-based JSA isn't affected). If they work less than 24 hours, it may affect how much you get.

so if you have not worked or paid enough NI contributions you will not be able to claim Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance, and if your hubby works 24hrs a week you can't usually get income-based JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by eljean View Post
    well, if that's the case i can only see whats the result is as i thought that JSA is for people who have been long out of work and those who are looking for work so i dont really know what they meant by that anyway, i am just curious about it. if i dont get any it doesnt matter to me.
    if you have worked in the past and paid enough NI contributions for that year, you should be able to claim contribution based JSA,which is not means tested, as it is based on your contributions you have paid, thou you can only claim it for 26wks..

after 26wks of claiming contribution JSA, they will put you on Income based JSA, which is means tested, so if your partner is working or you work p/t or have large savings you will get less or nothing at all !

and if you haven't paid enough NIC contributions for that year or worked at all you probably cannot claim contribution based JSA, but go straight on to Income based JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    if you have worked in the past and paid enough NI contributions for that year, you should be able to claim contribution based JSA,which is not means tested, as it is based on your contributions you have paid, thou you can only claim it for 26wks..

after 26wks of claiming contribution JSA, they will put you on Income based JSA, which is means tested, so if your partner is working or you work p/t or have large savings you will get less or nothing at all !

and if you haven't paid enough NIC contributions for that year or worked at all you probably cannot claim contribution based JSA, but go straight on to Income based JSA.
    I have not been to work before/have not paid any NI contribution but i know someone claiming JSA and never paid NI and never look for work and live with benefits and my husband works 40 hours a week and we do not have any savings at all i thought well see what happens ill keep posted you whatever the result is

Respected Member
    I have not been to work before/have not paid any NI contribution but i know someone claiming JSA and never paid NI and never look for work and live with benefits and my husband works 40 hours a week and we do not have any savings at all i thought well see what happens ill keep posted you whatever the result is
    As joebloggs has pointed out this is possible with Income based JSA if they are living on their own, or if their partner works part-time or not at all.

Banned
    Does anyone tried here to claim JSA?co'z i just did apply online i am currently looking for work so it say than you can claim now since you have no restriction anymore...i dont know i am not expecting to get a yes result from it, i just want to try it wont hurt anyway if i am turned down.
    Last December I got my ILR and been to LOcal Jobcentre, I asked them if I am entitled to claim JSA if I lost my job. Me and hubby not working in tax credit.

The staff asked how much I earned in a year and she have seen my P60. She said I am qualified from January onward if I loose my job. She also said I need to earn at least 5000-6000£ before.

But luckily I'm still working

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    Last December I got my ILR and been to LOcal Jobcentre, I asked them if I am entitled to claim JSA if I lost my job. Me and hubby not working in tax credit.

The staff asked how much I earned in a year and she have seen my P60. She said I am qualified from January onward if I loose my job. She also said I need to earn at least 5000-6000£ before.

But luckily I'm still working
    I am currently looking for job at the moment been out and about filling application form here,there and everywhere so i just literally thought that JSA are for those who are looking for work

I am currently looking for job at the moment been out and about filling application form here,there and everywhere so i just literally thought that JSA are for those who are looking for work
    it is

but if you've not paid anything in, the only way you can get anything is the means tested way, having not much savings and/or your partner works less than 24hrs.

but if you paid in, then you can claim for upto 26wks and it dont matter how much savings you have or how many hours your partner worls

also there could be other benefits you can claim to

i think i get it now thanks mod

Thread Information