Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Banana Cake

Banana Cake

Hi friends,

I was inspired again by Tin's Shawarma... So I tried another recipe from Asda's free magazine (June09)...

2 browning medium bananas peeled & mashed with fork
    1 large egg
    130g self raising flour (1 1/2 cups)
    1tsp baking powder
    55g butter, softened, plus extra greasing
    100g caster sugar (3/4 cups)

1) Preheat the oven 180C. Grease a loaf tin/cake tin with butter
    2) In a large bowl, mix everything together, combining well with a fork. You may need to add a drop of milk to achieve a loose dropping consistency, depending on how mushy the banana is. (I put around 2fl oz of milk).
    3) Pour into the tin and bake for 35-40min. Leave cool in the tin then turn onto a wire rack.
    4) Serve with ice cream and you can dust some icing sugar if you want...

The riper the banana is the better... Super easy & super cheap
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks sarap!
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Looks delicious,
    I asked Vanessa to make one, have to buy bananas :-)
    JOHN and VANESSA

Banned
    Hehe same here inspired with tiN Shawarma, I made it but change with TUNA instead of beef, taste great didnt able to take picture in it

Thumbs up I am a Newbie Cook

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    looks sarap!
    I made it for the 1st time and it's very moist hehe..Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Looks delicious,
    I asked Vanessa to make one, have to buy bananas :-)
    You can use very brown bananas hehe.

Quote from Asda: "Most of us overestimate how much fruit we're actually going to eat, and stock up on far too much at once - so an awful lot ends up in the bin. Which is a shame, reality, when there are loads of delicious and really simple things to do even with fruit that's past its best.

You can also use overriped bananas for BANANA FRTIITERS!!!(will try this at some point)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JMajor View Post
    Hehe same here inspired with tiN Shawarma, I made it but change with TUNA instead of beef, taste great didnt able to take picture in it

Take photos

Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    Hi friends,

My 64th birthday happened to coincide with the first trip I made to the Philippines last September. To celebrate the occasion, one of Myrna's elderly relatives - a retired Home Economics teacher - baked a similar cake. Delicious!

All five of Myrna's brothers are employed by Uni Fruiti - one of them being Chief Security Officer at a large plantation in Mindanao - and so bananas were always in plentiful supply. Without meaning to criticise Asda [or any of the other British supermarket giants, for that matter] you'll know only too well, that the home-grown bananas in the Phils are far superior to the imported varieties on sale here ... and even cheaper still! But then, I'm talking about the ripe Cavendish Banana from Davao ... which, I'm told, renders the others "tasteless".

Respected Member

Good job manay I will try to make it

Do u have any left u can send it to me if u want
    It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.

looks crap!
    looks nice to me

Hi friends,

I was inspired again by Tin's Shawarma... So I tried another recipe from Asda's free magazine (June09)...

1 large egg
    130g self raising flour
    1tsp baking powder
    100g caster sugar

2) In a large bowl, mix everything together, combining well with a fork. You may need to add a drop of milk to achieve a loose dropping consistency, depending on how mushy the banana is. (I put around 2fl oz of milk).
    3) Pour into the tin and bake for 35-40min. Leave cool in the tin then turn onto a wire rack.
    Hello again, Zobel,

It occurs to me, my earlier post must've given the impression that I'm some kind of "walking advert" for the world-famous Davao Banana. Sorry about that;I guess I'm just biased. And, in the words of 'Mary Poppins' (circa 1964/5, if my ailing memory serves me correctly!) the Asda cookbook recipe looks [and obviously, tastes] "truly scrumptuous" or "sarap" as bornatbirth says. Many thanks for sharing it (and the pictures) with us, and very well done on your first try!

looks sarap!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimeve View Post
    looks nice to me

lol..
    bornatbirth... jimeve quoted you... looks crap or sarap? hehe... did you edit it afterwards? lol// i dont mind if it looks crap... what matter is it tasted niceeeeeeee hehe...

Jay&Z,that looks beautiful,I always get Banana cake when I am in Davao,it tastes a little spicy,whats that ingredient?A little cinnamon maybe?
    Arthur,I have visited several large DOLE plantations in Mindanao,my mate is one of DOLE's head engineers,though he is based in Sri Lanka at the moment working for DOLE-lanka,always loads of free fruit

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

It doesnt look crap,quite the reverse actually,lammi kaayo

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again. But life goes on.
    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. True beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It's the passion that she shows to the outside world.

my wife makes Banana cakes when some banana's get over ripe. taste really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    My 64th birthday happened to coincide with the first trip I made to the Philippines last September. To celebrate the occasion, one of Myrna's elderly relatives - a retired Home Economics teacher - baked a similar cake. Delicious!

All five of Myrna's brothers are employed by Uni Fruiti - one of them being Chief Security Officer at a large plantation in Mindanao - and so bananas were always in plentiful supply. Without meaning to criticise Asda [or any of the other British supermarket giants, for that matter] you'll know only too well, that the home-grown bananas in the Phils are far superior to the imported varieties on sale here ... and even cheaper still! But then, I'm talking about the ripe Cavendish Banana from Davao ... which, I'm told, renders the others "tasteless".
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    Hello again, Zobel,

It occurs to me, my earlier post must've given the impression that I'm some kind of "walking advert" for the world-famous Davao Banana. Sorry about that;I guess I'm just biased. And, in the words of 'Mary Poppins' (circa 1964/5, if my ailing memory serves me correctly!) the Asda cookbook recipe looks [and obviously, tastes] "truly scrumptuous" or "sarap" as bornatbirth says. Many thanks for sharing it (and the pictures) with us, and very well done on your first try!

Hi Arthur,

You're not biased at all... The reasons why bananas here doesnt taste that nice in comparison because they are imported and basically they were picked from the trees when they are still unripen and send ships to the UK.

I love banana fritters and banana-Q,I ate so many bananas before I had LBM's I wish I could have some fried bananas at this very moment with honey drizzled over them

I like those banana's on a stick, you buy them from street velour's.

Banana-Q jim,I love them,I can last a full day eating nowt but Banana-Q,in Mindanao they are 3 pesos each.I think the most I had in a day was between 12-15

Respected Member
    Hi friends,

1 large egg
    130g self raising flour
    1tsp baking powder
    100g caster sugar

wow, this looks so yummy zobel well done patikim naman po, yum yum
    thanks for the recipe sis
    "10% of life is made up of what happens to you, 90% is decided by how you react"
    "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost"

You know how much they are at the Barrio fiesta in Hounslow?About a quid each and they dont taste as nice as the ones from the tinderas in pinas,here they use non-stick pans that have no character

lol..
    bornatbirth... jimeve quoted you... looks crap or sarap? hehe... did you edit it afterwards? lol// i dont mind if it looks crap... what matter is it tasted niceeeeeeee hehe...
    hey zobel i never posted that! it still looks yummy

looks like jimeve took artistic license with my post shame on you
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

sorry mate, could not resist it.

You could have sparked off an international incident there Jim,Gloria could have prepared her forces for a pinoy assault on the UK,cake-wars

hot cakes and cookies,

hehe... lol coz I quoted you 1st before he quoted you, lol I read it as "sarap" hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by jimeve View Post
    sorry mate, could not resist it.

hehe well done you.. lol

Hi Zobel,
    looks yummy!... I will have to try that too sometime. We have prepared our own cakes at the same time... When you sent me the link i was about to start to make the icing on my chocolate cake with raspberry fillings...

Thank you guys you have given me inspiration to bake cakes more often. To Aromulus, Tin, Zobel and Sophie.

Special thanks to Sophie for giving me the correct recipe of the leche flan.

" The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe n Pilar View Post
    Hi Zobel,
    looks yummy!... I will have to try that too next time. We have prepared our own cakes at the same time... When you sent me the link i was about to start to make the icing on my chocolate cake with raspberry fillings...
    Thank you guys you have given me inspiration to bake cakes more often. To Aromulus, Tin, Zobel and Sophie. Special thanks to Sophie for giving me the correct recipe of the leche flan.

pictures please....

Looks nice, Zobel. Well done.
    Faith makes all things possible.
    makes them easy.

Banned
    Hi friends,

1 large egg
    130g self raising flour
    1tsp baking powder
    100g caster sugar

Looks delicious. I wish I could make a delicious one. In Pinas, I knew a bakeshop and BANANA cake is their specialty. It was really lovely and always missed their banana cake. I am not sure what kind of banana they used as we have different kinds of bananas in Pinas. We have saba, la tundan, lakatan, saging na pula, green lakatan, senyorita and many more

Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Banana-Q jim,I love them,I can last a full day eating nowt but Banana-Q,in Mindanao they are 3 pesos each.I think the most I had in a day was between 12-15
    You can make banana fritters here like what I used to do. Just buy lumpia wrapper at chinese store. Cut banana into two and wrap it with brown sugar inside. Then fry it.

Saba, a kind of banana in Pinas is the best one for fritters but we don't have it here.

banana cake is my fav. yummyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    Looks delicious. I wish I could make a delicious one. In Pinas, I knew a bakeshop and BANANA cake is their specialty. It was really lovely and always missed their banana cake. I am not sure what kind of banana they used as we have different kinds of bananas in Pinas. We have saba, la tundan, lakatan, saging na pula, green lakatan, senyorita and many more

I used ordinary bananas available in all supermarkets...

You can make banana fritters here like what I used to do. Just buy lumpia wrapper at chinese store. Cut banana into two and wrap it with brown sugar inside. Then fry it.

Saba, a kind of banana in Pinas is the best one for fritters but we don't have it here.
    I haven't seen any Saba bananas here like we have in the PI but Plantain can be a substitute (available in supermarkets). Plantains are firmer, longer and usually require cooking or some other kind of processing before you eat them.

______
    Source:
    Pictures: Google
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information