Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The Settlement Interview - How to prepare

I'm with Pete on that - will only make them more suspicious of well documented applications if they think there is a free website taking people through every step and telling them how to make it look convincing - they will therefore treat every application with even more suspicion than they do now.

Pete - as for your application, I also don't think you've got much to worry about - it sounds like you're going to be providing plenty and know the sort of financial and accommodation info to provide - plus phone calls and visits and photos to evidence a genuine relationship. Just don't let them shake you or intimidate you.

The hardest part is for the filipina if she's called for interview - it is such an intimidating process for her, and unlike us, she's not used to regarding 'authority' with the same approach we are with out more westernised 'every one is equal' approach - filipinos don't like 'conflict' and don't like to contradict someone in authority - but she'll have to if the ECO puts a point to her and is expecting her to rebutt it to prove a genuine relationship/reason for wanting to go to england. Just give her plenty of coaching and above all convince her that she has nothing to fear from them - and not to be afraid of correcting and contradicting them when they go looking for any gaps in the relationship/application. Unlike in philippine business/relationships, the english ECO will expect and want her to contradict and correct him to prove a genuine relationship - filipinos think it is polite not to do this, but she'll need to get over that cultural norm - embassy officials do demonstrate a surprising lack of empathy for the cultural norms of their host country and do little to make allowances for it, even though they know full well that most filipinos will be quite intimidated by being interviewed by an english official in their second language.

But if you've got the evidence, he's likely to ask her less questions anyway, and provided she's got no nasty surprises lurking within the NSO (which I'm sure she wont have), then you should be fine.

Administrator

filipinos don't like 'conflict'
    You haven't met the wife then ;D We never argue, but God help anyone who upsets her, the spears start flying!!
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Free Asian dating & forum - www.filipinouk.co.uk
    Subscription dating, 1000's of members - www.asiansingle4u.com
    Professional gambling & forum - www.win2win.co.uk
    Betting bot reviews - www.exchangebots.com
    Professional poker & forum - www.win2winpoker.co.uk
    Astronomy forum - www.astronomy-forum.co.uk
    Company site - www.win2win-limited.co.uk

Thank you for that submission Peter, I thougt that was very well written and extremely helpful, I couldnt agree with you more regarding Filipina's and confrontation, I have had this experience with my lady in a mall...we tried to get a joint bank account with BPI and they asked me for an Alien Certificate of registration, I said the following "I live on Planet Earth, those are only for residents from Mars, Venus, or Pluto", I know I look a bit odd, but I am human", that did not go down to well..and later I was seen to be talking under my breath..as we went up the escalator...Gina got embarassed and told me that I was being confrontational in front of the filipino's and they will think you are shouting at me.

This is of course as you said, the cultural differences between East and West, I will be taking your advices there Peter and coaching Gina for the interview although when I did it the last time, she found it stressful...and thought I was being billigerent.

I think your point is very good that you raised, regarding the intimidation of the ECO's, I will take that point on board and actually explain to Gina that she will have to be more assertive on the interview, although I suspect she will be ok, she is insisting that if I Cant make it back for to be there and support her...she will be ok and do it herself.

I am concerned about this, As I would have liked to be there on the interview, at least downstairs and wait for her, however it may not be possible, but the paperwork will be spot on Peter, thanks for that support..and also to you Keith.

I thought of also..doing a mock interview, with me as the ECO and might just be a bit bolshy with her, and guage her reactions and teach her how to respond, one thing I think though Keith...lets not bring the Forum to the attention of the British Embassy Manila, I think thats a bad idea, and I go along with Peter on this, they will start to think every applicant is coming to us first, we might even get a name out there...especially me..and you Kieth, also remember, they might be looking out for Gina's application, I dont want to be paranoid of course, but if you do want to bring us to their attention, do it after Gina has her entry clearance please mate, my name is also on some of the posts Keith, and also, we may get one or two of them joining as member (sleepers) just to see what we have posted.
    hahahahahahaahahahah

Administrator

Just an idea I threw in the air, forgotten now....what was it anyway ;D

I live on Planet Earth, those are only for residents from Mars, Venus, or Pluto", I know I look a bit odd, but I am human
    Blimey Pete, your starting to sound like a scouser ;D
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Keith you mentioned about bringing us to the attention of that lot over in Manila, at the British Embassy, I said..it was probably not wise to make us an object of their discussions in the tea room chatter.

Especially as my full name has appeared on some posts, I am concious of that, and obviously, I would prefer that our service is not brought to their attention, or they will be treating us as immigration consultants...and to be honest we are not far off that now...apart from the fact...we dont charge for helping...with the expertise, we have...we could probably set up a service to process peoples paperwork before they go there..that what I am afraid of..that we will be seen as lay immigration consultants, but specifically for applicants who visit the British Embassy in the Philippines.

This may bring us to their attention, if not officially but certainly unofficially.

The difference with our site Keith and Eddie Bassons, is that his site is not a Asynchonous Chat Forum, its a passive information based on his own experience, because ours is a Asynchronous chat forum, we may be looked at in a different light.

Just flagging a small concern here Keith, not trying to get paranoid about it.

You haven't met the wife then ;D We never argue, but God help anyone who upsets her, the spears start flying!!
    Mine doesn't fight in that situation. She just waits coolly and gets her revenge - very south east asian .

Have made a mental note never to leave a wet bath towel lying on the floor, or if I do, to keep my legs crossed for at least a week.

I have also heard of cases, especially now it is all CAVA based, where an application is sufficiently well documented (especially with regard evidence of relationship) that, providing NSO check comes up clear and she has no previous disfavourable immigration history with the embassy, they simply return the visas with the passports in them - no interview needed.

It's all part of the embassy trying to reduce backlogs and 'risk assessing' applications (although admittedly the idea of a public servant being so cutting edge and dynamic as to be able to risk assess anything is, of course, quite laughable....) - if it's well documented, no prior unfavourable history and it's obvious the relationship is genuine (plenty of evidence of financial support, visits from the UK if you've been over here), then she may, just may, get through without an interview.

One of the CAVA courier guys told me this as well, about a year or so ago.

No guarantees though - i'd take that as best case scenario but plan for the worst anyway - that way you cover all bases.

Administrator

I thought the initial idea of the CAVA was to save on interviews. Anyway, we let terrorists in without any checks, so don't see any problem :
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

As for coaching, I think it's one of those areas where practice and experience is the best way. Depending on her background/age/professional experience/experience with dealing with westerners in a business setting, she may or may not be used to the sort of interaction the english official will expect to have - once you take away the potential element of surprise and shock at what she perceives to be his rudeness (ie, his upfront western way of asking personal questions), she'll be less thrown off guard by it and be in a better position to answer the question properly, without having to 'compose herself' after the shock of being spoken to in a direct way like this which she isn't used to.

Having said that, despite my generally low opinion on the competence and abilities (and politeness) of most embassy officials, and despite their 'thorough' nitpicking of applications to give it a robust test, I think the majority of them do try and be fair (though harsh) and, if they can't find a gap, will let it through and wish you well. It's all part of a game - grit your teeth and smile through it, I just treated the process the same way I did for my professional exams - prepare for it mentally and emotionally, "take the exam" - you only have to do it once, then you can forget all about it forever. The visa extension with the home office is a far more friendly affair (so I'm told).

That is, until her sisters all start saying they want to come and visit and you have to help them with their applications... ;D

Banned
    Originally posted by peterdavid@Feb 3 2005, 10:06 PM
    Yes, I think ECOs are deliberately obstructive, especially in cases where the english guy has been living in England and the filipina in the philippines.

The British embassy in manila does not make one proud to be British. It makes one quite ashamed.
    I'm still annoyed at the Embassy for being so picky about our visa application. I spent months researching the correct procedures for applying for the visa, I got info and advice from this discussion group and others like it, I took great care that all documents were complete and correct, and still it wasnt enough.

Just before I left Manila 2 days ago (i extended my stay till 16th by the way - couldnt bear to leave the Philippines ) I returned to the Embassy to ask on progress. Now because of security, I was forced to call one of the ECO's from the downstairs lobby (I was not even allowed into my own Embassy!&#33, and I was given a predictable answer "Sir the issue of your wifes visa has been deferred until local checks are completed. We will call your wife in about 3 - 5 weeks".

While I cant give the exact reasons why the other 47 people were denied visas, it seems from what Elsa told me, it was more to do with insufficent/incorrect paperwork, and indeed many of the applicants were for tourist/family visas. She told me that in most cases, the applicant was called to Room 6 or Room 2, and were informed straight off, "I deny your request for a visa" then sent on their way. I can understand how some of those applicants got quite angry - what a way to treat people in this day. :unsure:

Originally posted by walesrob@Feb 17 2005, 05:30 AM
    While I cant give the exact reasons why the other 47 people were denied visas, it seems from what Elsa told me, it was more to do with insufficent/incorrect paperwork, and indeed many of the applicants were for tourist/family visas. She told me that in most cases, the applicant was called to Room 6 or Room 2, and were informed straight off, "I deny your request for a visa" then sent on their way. I can understand how some of those applicants got quite angry - what a way to treat people in this day. :unsure:
    Hello Rob it sounds to me like you are right in that Elsa's assumption that the applications were for entry clearance, I would say is highy unlikely, they were probably for tourist visa's which are in the majority denied, for one thing, the common reason given is that

"Their are not enough reasons to guarantee your return to the Philippines"

This is the main reason why so many tourist visa applications are denied, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of many people, however with regard to your wife's situation, I would say, they are going to to check with the NSO to see whether she has been previously married, there is something on the applicaton form that doesnt seem right to them.

Maurizio has just returned to UK with Richie his fiancee, and they were cleared on same day, as was Rockman, (Troy) one of our readers, he came with his fiancee some 2 weeks ago, you mentioned yourself that their might be a problem with her paperwork in a previous post, they will probably get back to her when they said and issue the visa, if there are no further complications.

My heart goes out to you, I know once you have married, its a s...situation to be stuck in UK and your wife cannot join you, I remember an old freind of mine, was on his own after the marriage for 13 months, before his wife's visa was issued, he lost his job, and they denied her entry clearance, until he got another job, when he did get one, they called her up and asked her to come and get her passport.

I can't think of being separated that long from my girl, not 13 months, we have already had to endure over that amount of time now, due to my divorce going through, so we are hoping that by May of this year, we will be togther, although of course I could have started the process now, but we want to marry in her home city, so it will take a little longer to arrange.

I hope this goes well for you Rob, keep in touch.

Originally posted by ginapeterb@Feb 17 2005, 09:37 AM
    Hello Rob it sounds to me like you are right in that Elsa's assumption that the applications were for entry clearance, I would say is highy unlikely, they were probably for tourist visa's which are in the majority denied, for one thing, the common reason given is that

"Their are not enough reasons to guarantee your return to the Philippines"

This is the main reason why so many tourist visa applications are denied, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth of many people, however with regard to your wife's situation, I would say, they are going to to check with the NSO to see whether she has been previously married, there is something on the applicaton form that doesnt seem right to them.

Maurizio has just returned to UK with Richie his fiancee, and they were cleared on same day, as was Rockman, (Troy) one of our readers, he came with his fiancee some 2 weeks ago, you mentioned yourself that their might be a problem with her paperwork in a previous post, they will probably get back to her when they said and issue the visa, if there are no further complications.

My heart goes out to you, I know once you have married, its a s...situation to be stuck in UK and your wife cannot join you, I remember an old freind of mine, was on his own after the marriage for 13 months, before his wife's visa was issued, he lost his job, and they denied her entry clearance, until he got another job, when he did get one, they called her up and asked her to come and get her passport.

I can't think of being separated that long from my girl, not 13 months, we have already had to endure over that amount of time now, due to my divorce going through, so we are hoping that by May of this year, we will be togther, although of course I could have started the process now, but we want to marry in her home city, so it will take a little longer to arrange.

I hope this goes well for you Rob, keep in touch.

Rob,

A slight glimmer of hope - that the Embassy is doing its own check with the NSO isn't necessarily a sign that anything is wrong - sometimes they just check to confirm there are no previous marriages for no reason other than a double check - not because something looks wrong.

If your lady has children, for example, that may trigger a check, or it could just be the ECO looking at your case has had a bad day and doesn't want to let anyone in until he's nitpicked over the case with a toothcomb. It's irritating and petty, and highly inconvenient whilst they make you wait, and half the time you get the impression that the Embassy staff consider every filipina applicant to be a money-grabbing gold-digging bar-girl unless she proves the opposite beyond any doubt whatsoever.

But provided nothing is amiss at the NSO (and I accept that it's very hard to have confidence in the NSO, as it's only as accurate as the corrupt half-wits that run it, but keep your fingers crossed no one has been messing with your wife's papers - an ECO told me once that he has personally known cases where an applicants identity has been stolen from the NSO and she's turned out to be thrice married, declared dead, all without her knowledge&#33 - then grit your teeth for another 5 weeks and don't let them get you down.

I share your anger at the disgusting rudeness the english embassy staff display, to sponsors and applicants, it is absolutely appalling and they feel they are untouchable, being stuck in this remote outpost and forgotten about by the FCO. Keeping calm with them is the only way to show them (by virtue of the contrast in your and their behaviour) how rude they are being - if you rise to the bait, it's what they want. Just count to 10 and file a complaint with the Omsbudsman when it's all over and your filipina is in England. Guy at the Information desk (Oscar) will give you the name(s) of who you speak to - he's a nice guy - as in fact are most of the filipinos who work there - it's just the British who let the side down so abysmally.

Banned
    Ok, the latest....Elsa was told to return her passport to the Embassy last Friday 18th February, she did that Monday, but since then nothing...they keep saying they will phone her, but they havent.....so what are they doing with her passport exactly? If she gets nothing by March 1st (St David Days in Wales....Cymru Am Byth :lol: ) I will fire an email at the Embassy.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    Originally posted by ginapeterb@Nov 12 2004, 11:04 PM
    The Settlement Interview - How to Prepare
    ginapeterb, this was a superb read!

I'm a believer in mock interviews because for many women from the area I specialize in (Eastern Europe), the interview is their first contact with an official of a foreign government and they really have no idea what to expect.

Your article has broad application to a number of visa national countries. For what it's worth, I have a collection of questions to prepare for also. Along with some preparation for the sponsor also. It's at http://www.transpondia.co.uk

Manila is a tough and probing consulate. Probably second only to Bangkok. But if you want the number 1 place to find captious ECO's, try Saint Petersburg or Ekatrinburg.

Banned
    Originally posted by walesrob@Feb 23 2005, 11:21 PM
    Ok, the latest....Elsa was told to return her passport to the Embassy last Friday 18th February, she did that Monday, but since then nothing...they keep saying they will phone her, but they havent.....so what are they doing with her passport exactly? If she gets nothing by March 1st (St David Days in Wales....Cymru Am Byth :lol: ) I will fire an email at the Embassy.
    WOO-HOOOOOOO

Elsa has the visa at last - shes going to Embassy tomorrow to pick it up.

Now for some flights .....

Originally posted by walesrob@Mar 1 2005, 10:27 AM
    WOO-HOOOOOOO

Elsa has the visa at last - shes going to Embassy tomorrow to pick it up.

Now for some flights .....

Congratulations mate. I'm really happy for you.

Now remember, when you get to the UK and they try insisting she go for a degrading medical before being allowed in to this spotlessly clean country (&#33, just say you think she might be pregnant - medical abandoned, walk straight through to the arrivals lounge.......

Congrats again - have you told her it's minus 3 degrees here....?

Administrator
    My niece-in-law (!!&#33 just had the medical at Heathrow, and it's only a quick once over, unlike the US mediacl which takes 3 blood samples, and a swab, as well as other things :o

Best of luck on your future together, and make sure you buy her 10 pairs of tights :lol:
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Rob,

Warmest congratulations on Elsa's Visa, that is good news, so happy for you both, give her my regards, and Im sure Peter and Keith will want to give their best wishes to your wife, Gina and I are glad you got this ok, keep your fingers crossed for me now ok Rob, and keep in touch with us, some people come here, get their visa..and we never see them again, lets look at it that we are all a family that is a British-Filipino family, whilst writing I am in the process of designing a website..which will be called www.abritish-filipinocouple.com and it should be ready soon, its about Gina and I, and the procedures with photos, links and videos, I have spent 4 weeks building it so I hope that everyone enjoys a good read when its ready, I have used some of the material i wrote for this forum, Im sure Keith doesnt mind that, and tweaked some of it up a little, but its a good read thats for sure.

Well its wheeeeeehey for Rob, come on Rob its your turn to support me now, I have to wait for April for my lucky number to come up, in the meantime, the wedding is nearly upon me, and Im still not sorted on the money as yet, but hopefully in 4 weeks I will be...

Pete

Banned
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words and support, and I'm glad now its all over. I'm just sorting out some flights, I think I will meet up with Elsa in Hong Kong then we'll both fly home together, so its a matter now of synchronising flights.

To be honest the whole visa process was fairly quick, she called on January 6th, and got the interview 2nd February, and visa issued today, so just 2 months, and that was with the Embassy doing local checks. I'm certain Elsa would have the visa on February 2nd if her passport hadn't have been stolen. Compared to US visa applications, this is very quick - I know of some of Elsas friends who have applied for US visas and have to wait a whole year for processing.

Now in my case, the visa process may have been short, but the legwork getting all the required documentation was at times, painfully slow, and at times seem to snowball out of control. As a rough timeline this is what happened:

2004 May 28th: Married in Palo
    June 10th: Elsa sends off for Marraige secpa
    June 12th: Elsa applies for new passport, this denied because birth certificate had errors (!&#33 Was told to get her Birth Certificate corrected.
    July: Starts petition process for amendment to Birth Certificate
    July: Marraige secpa arrives
    then nothing till November, grrrr
    September: Applies for CFO certificate, was also denied due to error on birth certificate.
    November: New Birth Certificate issued with amendments
    December: New passport issued, CFO certificate issued.
    January 2005: Visa applied for
    March 1st: Visa issued.

Maybe if her original passport had not have been stolen, I'm sure Elsa would have been in the UK long time ago, but hey we made it now and we are together and thats all that matters.

Peter, no worries, I will keep monitoring this site (I spend hours on the net anyway everyday - gotta read something&#33 and if anyone wants any information or tips, send me a message and I'll help as best I can. I like your idea Pete about building a website, I've done the same, but its a simple one..Elsa and Robs website

Regards

Rob

Administrator
    SPAMMERS :lol: :lol:

Elsa doesn't half dress like Ronald McDonald :unsure:
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Originally posted by admin@Mar 2 2005, 09:41 PM
    SPAMMERS :lol: :lol:

Elsa doesn't half dress like Ronald McDonald :unsure:
    Rob great site !!! I loved it...I wil be putting mine up there sometime this week or next, and hope you will link on yours to mine, I will also link from mine to yours, and hopefully we can get some cross traffic, and I am also linking to Keith on Win 2 Win, also Keith, I will put a banner on my site for some advertising for the pro-betting you do, and I already have a deal with a US Firm to generate traffic, plus also on the search engines.

Keep in touch Rob, will have another look at yours tonight when I get in from work.

Best wishes Pete

Banned

Originally posted by ginapeterb@Mar 3 2005, 09:10 AM
    Rob great site !!! I loved it...I wil be putting mine up there sometime this week or next, and hope you will link on yours to mine

Keep in touch Rob, will have another look at yours tonight when I get in from work.

Best wishes Pete
    Hiya Pete,

Yeah, no problem.....I need to add some more links anyway, so I'll put this forum and your site Pete - let me know the url and I'll get it uploaded on the weekend.

I'm off to Hong Kong on Monday, 7th, and returning with Elsa on March 15th... HOORAY!! I managed to get a one-way for Elsa HKG to London for just Ł200 from www.aerohkg.com, these guys are really nice and helpful.

Administrator
    You can use the linking engines on here, the racing, and the poker sites. Gets your site a higher ranking in a couple of months.

Hey, no one has commented on the new site look :(
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Originally posted by admin@Mar 3 2005, 04:39 PM
    You can use the linking engines on here, the racing, and the poker sites. Gets your site a higher ranking in a couple of months.

Hey, no one has commented on the new site look :(
    I will be supporting your sites Keith on mine, with links to the poker site and the racing site, shortly, just finishing off mine, hope you like the intro music on my site when its up and running, will also link to Robs site as well...do you have logos for your site Keith if so..I can use image in my site, or I can point to yours.

Administrator
    Logo's!!! I do need to make some actually, been busy as it's the Cheltenham Festival next week.
    Regards,

Keith & Ping

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information