Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

language differences

I know Filipino english is far different from UK english. .there is an amazing variety of spelling , meaning,pronunciation, etc.

I know these differences can be both difficult to comprehend and confounding when trying to learn the language.

When i visited UK last year, i had a culture shock.(is there language shock?)I was shocked and amazed on how they say things and also the meaning.here are some:

1. Pantene- in the tv advert it was pronounced as pan ten
    2. Backside- butt
    3. Top up- as i understood it its like eload or prepaid
    4. Take away- take out pala
    5.Rubbish- trash or garbage
    6.Trainers- sneakers or rubber shoes
    7.Cupboard- any closet in the house
    8. car boot sale- its like garage sale
    9. Chemist- drugstore
    10. Pharmacy- local doctor
    11. Gum- glue
    12.Holiday- vacation
    13.Lift- elevator
    14. Pram- like a big stroller

Pinays speak american english

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    Whilst thinking about differences in language, I wonder how many Filipinos realise that so many of their ‘Tagalog words’ originated from Spanish.

As a rule of thumb almost all the words for things which the Spanish introduced to the Philippines are Spanish:- Botella , vaso, coche, barco, puerta, cuchillo, mesa, silla, Abandonada , Abaniko , Abono, Abrelata etc etc.

Of course like the differences between UK and USA English, many are spelt more as they sound, thus ‘ll’ has become ‘y’. ‘ Como Esta’ has become ‘Kumusta’

The same thing happened in UK with the invasion of the Norman French in 1066, we acquired many French word: Café, Restaurant, Pork, Beef, Menu, hotel etc.

If you are interested in more along these lines visit (USA- Check Out) :-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagalog_loanwords

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by estherboaz View Post
    I know Filipino english is far different from UK english. .there is an amazing variety of spelling , meaning,pronunciation, etc.

I know these differences can be both difficult to comprehend and confounding when trying to learn the language.

When i visited UK last year, i had a culture shock.(is there language shock?)I was shocked and amazed on how they say things and also the meaning.here are some:

2. Backside- butt
    9. Chemist- drugstore
    11. Gum- glue
    12.Holiday- vacation
    13.Lift- elevator
    In addition to that:

15. nappy - diaper
    16. trousers - pants
    17. pants - undies (like panty and brief) -
    18. to let - for rent
    19. dummy/soother - pacifier
    20. pilchards - sardines

i'll think more later

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Pinays speak american english
    Filipino's speak a version of English using an American English vocabulary - as has been well elucidated in the thread.

But, they understand English in a most peculiarly literal Filipino style.

I speak American English more than British English & use an American keyboard. I also speak reasonable Castillian Spanish. So Filipino English as written is easy!

I even get the Spanish influence of Manana - and the Asian cultural desire to please, that has somehow got into what is not really an Asian ethnic population but a Polynesian based one.

Ultimately - The RP is the world's second biggest English speaking country. But despite the American sound, and vocabulary, of RP English, it is a quite unique version of English. In many ways it shares similarities with Indian English.

I scream everytime i hear "Maybe" "Hay Naku" & worst of all "Yes" which in Filipino English, can mean anything from "I heard what you said" to, "Yes =.... No"

As an example Cathay lost my luggage going into NAIA the week before last.

Q "Where is my luggage?"
    A "on the aircraft"
    Q "Which plane"
    A "On the plane from London to Hong Kong"

... various increasingly frustrated conversations pointing out I'm in Manila & that Hong Kong is not really of interest to me since I left there 2 - now 3 hours ago!

I go for what I think is the killer punch (appropriate this last week or so) & getting frustrated, & with 3 years experience of dealing with The Philippines sub-contracting a huge amount of work

Q "It is 2009 not 1999 (oh how clever of me). YOU have a computer. My luggage has this..... barcode. Please use your computer & tell me where it is. I only want to know when/if it will eventually arrive" (will to live rapidly draining away).
    A " Correct (correck) we have a computer"
    Q "So where is it"
    A "We will have to call Hong Kong"

It went on for 3 days!!!!!

It maybe English but it is unique. It is frustrating. Quainly literal and in a way charming!!!

With Ana Lyn I have resorted to a simple message .........

"Maybe"

"Ana Lyn - Stop It"!!!!!!!!!

Maybe does not exist in American English. How did it get past the influence of "Clark"?

I suspect Spanish blood is running thicker in Pinay veins.

Banned
    Well Edward, I guess your experience should not be accounted to the "kind/type" of English that we use... but more inclined to the fact that Filipinos are less direct in our manner of communication... my bf also gets pissed when I answer "maybe"... he said, he never gets a straight answer from me.. LOL

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Florge View Post
    ... my bf also gets pissed when I answer "maybe"... .. LOL
    Thanks Florge for another great example of the difference between American derived Filipino English & British English. In British English that would mean he goes out and gets drunk.

You have succinctlty identified the confusion that Filipino English causes. It uses the American vocabulary, & is spoken in a vaguely American accent. But Brits are used to Americans being direct - and many Brits get uncomfortable with this "directness" especially in business.

As you say Filipino's are naturally rather indirect. Result American English, spoken with indirect meanings. Maybe that is the answer & the problem?!!!

Also, I've observed quite a number of differences in the ways in which certain English words in common usage are SPELT. Two instances that immediately spring to mind are 'colour' and 'behaviour' where, in each case, the letter 'u' is dropped [in typical American fashion] to read as 'color' and 'behavior', respectively. Another "distortion" is 'check' for 'cheque'.

Just three further examples of US grammatical influence in the Philippines. Or am I being 'a little' too pedantic here, perhaps ... ??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post

Just three examples of US grammatical influence in the Philippines. Or am I being 'a little' too pedantic here, perhaps ... ??
    The perfect solution to the English language watering down problem by the yanks, would be nuking them.....

a bit extreme?

but i would say that filipinos do speak their version of US english and still can misunderstand how we talk and write uk english...
    i have learnt to do what my wife says!

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    but i would say that filipinos do speak their version of US english and still can misunderstand how we talk and write uk english...
    I think probably written communication is more clearly understood than the spoken word in MOST languages, though.

Banned
    Well, 2 years of British occupation wasn't enough to leave a British influence. We are "Americanized" as they say since we copy changes from America. It is a bit scary how we tend to copy everything American because our story is so much similar.. just that we are about 10 years delayed.

Before, when we see a Caucasian, we always refer to them as "Joe".. and little did we know that this person may not be American... Western for us is equated to America... can't blame us though... Our history has American influence pasted all over. After the Spanish rule, up until today, American influence is still prevalent.

Wonder what Philippines would be like if only we were a British or French colony for a long time... that will be interesting.

Well, 2 years of British occupation wasn't enough to leave a British influence. We are "Americanized" as they say since we copy changes from America. It is a bit scary how we tend to copy everything American because our story is so much similar.. just that we are about 10 years delayed.

Before, when we see a Caucasian, we always refer to them as "Joe".. and little did we know that this person may not be American... Western for us is equated to America... can't blame us though... Our history has American influence pasted all over. After the Spanish rule, up until today, American influence is still prevalent.

[B]Wonder what Philippines would be like if only we were a British or French colony for a long time... that will be interesting.[B]

It will not be "hey joe" but "Hiya Mate!"
    lol...

[QUOTE=Florge;137339]
    ... and little did we know that this person may not be American... Western for us is equated to America... can't blame us though... Our history has American influence pasted all over.

Just so! ... appearances certainly CAN be deceptive, because British and American [including Canadian] citizens look - and act - similar(ly) in so many respects that even I have difficulty in differentiating between the two ... until the latter open their mouths ... !!

UK English - American English

bonnet - hood
    boot - trunk
    pavement - sidewalk
    tin - can
    petrol - gasoline
    diesel - kerosene
    stock - inventory
    car - automobile

" The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    It will not be "hey joe" but "Hiya Mate!"
    lol...
    correct... hahaha...

Respected Member
    Its cos the yanks cant spell and take the easy route.
    Flavour=Flavor.

I`ve got this problem recently with my american friends who came over for a visit when we finished showing them around in our small town we ended up in our local pub for a meal and they expected a pub where you can find entertainment,disco and such like we ussually have in PI but I have explained it to them the differences in language.Before I had the same difficulties with their different english but I kinda get used to it by now.And when we had our pudding they expected a certain kind of dessert that they called pudding in america she explained it to me that their pudding is a certain kind of mouse which got different flavours on it and I have explained it to them that dessert in uk are ussually called pudding.Even pants in PI or america its jeans but here its underwear.Anwhow we just laughed at it.
    to loved and beloved is the greatest joy on earth...

Not sure about this my Cheryljane from Negros Oriental eats spaguete as in Dumaguete which given english is a 2nd language is cool .

Respected Member
    When I was in Cainta (smallish town just outside Manila) I kept hearing people calling my name 'John.' I could not believe how many people knew who I was.

I kept telling my wife about it. She was surprised too.

Then one day when she was with me and a guy 'called me' she burst out laughing. She explained they were saying 'Jan' 'there.'

Language can be a funny thing !!!!

Canadians

[QUOTE=Arthur Little;137365]
    ... and little did we know that this person may not be American... Western for us is equated to America... can't blame us though... Our history has American influence pasted all over.

Just so! ... appearances certainly CAN be deceptive, because British and American [including Canadian] citizens look - and act - similar(ly) in so many respects that even I have difficulty in differentiating between the two ... until the latter open their mouths ... !!
    When I was a waiter in London Candians often wore little maple leaf pin badges and we very happy you realised they were Canadian.

But Cheryljane spells spaghetti like Dumaguete and it took me a while to work out a teet was in fact a tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by estherboaz View Post

2. Backside- butt
    9. Chemist- drugstore
    11. Gum- glue
    12.Holiday- vacation
    13.Lift- elevator
    Thought I had commented on this already hmmm

8. tends to be in a field and originates from stock being taken in your cars boot trunk in American and can involve several hundred cars rather than a garage sale at one house

10. should read Surgery or Clinic or Health Center

14. Pram is an abbreviation of Perambulator which comes from Perambulate (walk) also

1. (n.) One who perambulates.
    2. (n.) A surveyor's instrument for measuring distances. It consists of a wheel arranged to roll along over the ground, with an apparatus of clockwork, and a dial plate upon which the distance traveled is shown by an index. See Odometer.
    3. (n.) A low carriage for a child, propelled by pushing.

Avail is a word favoured in the Phils used to mean take advantage of the only common usage here now is "of no avail"
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    Thought I had commented on this already hmmm

8. tends to be in a field and originates from stock being taken in your cars boot trunk in American and can involve several hundred cars rather than a garage sale at one house

10. should read Surgery or Clinic or Health Center

14. Pram is an abbreviation of Perambulator which comes from Perambulate (walk) also

1. (n.) One who perambulates.
    2. (n.) A surveyor's instrument for measuring distances. It consists of a wheel arranged to roll along over the ground, with an apparatus of clockwork, and a dial plate upon which the distance traveled is shown by an index. See Odometer.
    3. (n.) A low carriage for a child, propelled by pushing.
    Hahahahaha, you're copying the way I write cheat sheets ha?

Banned

Talking

as has already been stated it is american english which is spoken and proper english is a lot different

even us brits when we travel to the usa the americans dont understand us and as for sense of humour dont bother

one that always makes me laugh is this ---- gee bob that guys got lots of spunk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adam&chryss View Post
    In addition to that:

15. nappy - diaper
    16. trousers - pants
    17. pants - undies (like panty and brief) -
    18. to let - for rent
    19. dummy/soother - pacifier
    20. pilchards - sardines

i'll think more later

ADDITION:

SLIPPER- FLIP FLOPS

My slipper was broken and I used to wear it even inside bathroom and can't walk inside the house without it. So I went to town and ask if they have slipper. But no one understood me. I even entered to sporting shops, look around but couldn't find it.

When I went back home, Mom told me it's called Flip Flops here

The second day, I found it at Drug store

Respected Member
    Sorry to be pedantic.

Slippers (always plural with an 's') more correctly carpet slippers, are soft shoes worn in the house (Sapayas / zapaillas, maybe in tagalog). Flip Flops are causal out door shoes, maybe more at home on the beach, or in Asia in the bathroom too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic.

Slippers (always plural with an 's') more correctly carpet slippers, are soft shoes worn in the house (Sapayas / zapaillas, maybe in tagalog). Flip Flops are causal out door shoes, maybe more at home on the beach, or in Asia in the bathroom too.
    Yes I was looking for a slipper made of rubber. Just an ordinary one we use in the Philippines. Shops at town offering me slipper made of leather and synthetics

Respected Member
    'A slipper' might confuse English people as they always say 'slippers' except maybe when saying 'Pass my slipper' when they are asking just for one of them.

Your problem was because what you wanted, in UK, are called flip flops. A name derived from the sound they make as they 'flip flop' as you walk.

Thread Information