Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow UK: Things I love; Let us count the ways

Dear Friends,

It seems that we always have lots of 'not so good' things to say regarding this country. From homesickness to weather. Much have been said and sometimes made us more depressed and missing more our beloved country...
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=15585
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=13768

Now, let us make it different this time 'round. Let us be more positive.

Britons can contribute here too...

Guide phrases:
    I love this country because...
    What I learnt here...
    What amazes me...
    I have learnt to love UK...
    I am happy because...

etc etc etc... (please add more, just about anything really!)

Let me start:

What I love about this country is the: WEATHER!!
    It has 4 seasons:
    Spring (You can see lots of animals hopping & running around - Drivers be careful not to bump into them; Flowers, vegetables & fruits are its best!)
    Summer (SUN, airconditioned SUN! No sweating excessively; Days are longer than nights; at 8PM Sun is still up and skies are bright; BBQ-ing with friends)
    Autumn (orange, red & yellow leaves, how do they change colours?)
    Winter (CHRISTMAS SEASON! snuggly and cozy drinking hot chocolate in a winter dark night sitting by the fireplace with the one you love )

_________

Banned
    Ok.....

I won't contribute to this one....

Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    Spring (You can see lots of animals hopping & running around - Drivers be careful not to bump into them; Flowers, vegetables & fruits are its best!)
    Mmmmm roadkill, yummy
    Credit crunch, you know...
    Jiri & Maricel

oh men lolz...

Respected Member
    What i love from this country?
    Aside from my husband who i love so much i guess what i love about here is the SAFETY. I'm saying this in comparison to manila. I find it safer to walk around here, not having to worry about someone popping out of nowhere to hold me up or someone grabbing my bag or any of my valuables.

UK cant be that bad,theres people who risk their lives to be smuggled here from around the world

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    What i love from this country?
    Aside from my husband who i love so much i guess what i love about here is the SAFETY. I'm saying this in comparison to manila. I find it safer to walk around here, not having to worry about someone popping out of nowhere to hold me up or someone grabbing my bag or any of my valuables.

Got a decent answer! Thanks Sophie!
    ___

Come on guys hehe BE POSITIVE!!! Help us help ourselves please lol...

Respected Member
    Another thing i like here is you don't have to give tips to the tradesman/workman, does this count zobel?
    The other day, we have a plumber over to fix our heating and i told my hubby, shouldn't we give him a tip? He said that they don't do that here. Whereas in the philippines, i feel the need to always give tips to our handyman, plumbers, delivery guys, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    Ok.....

I won't contribute to this one....
    you must like chelski?

i like my wife here with me i couldnt care less about whatever else happens in the uk because everyday i think of her or with her the sun always shines!

Bornatbirth,thats a fantastic answer,very nice

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    i like my wife here with me i couldnt care less about whatever else happens in the uk because everyday i think of her or with her the sun always shines!

Aww that is so sweet!!

Thanks for that!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    you must like chelski?

That's really sweet of you Your wife is one lucky girl

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
    Another thing i like here is you don't have to give tips to the tradesman/workman, does this count zobel?
    The other day, we have a plumber over to fix our heating and i told my hubby, shouldn't we give him a tip? He said that they don't do that here. Whereas in the philippines, i feel the need to always give tips to our handyman, plumbers, delivery guys, etc.

Yes!!! Saves us pennies!!! Credit crunch!

Respected Member
    I like being able to walk round my village and breathe the fresh air.
    I like that our taxi drivers know where they`re going without being told.
    I like that people dont spend all their time on their mobile phone cos they think its good when really they are rude and look like idiots.

I dont like listening to people come to my country of their own accord and **** it off when they are more than welcome to off back to their own country that they left....
    Some people are so so so ungrateful for the opportunities they have.
    I`m proud to be English and if everybody else leaves the country then good, i`ll have it all to myself
    Theres lots to be happy about it depends wether your the half full/half empty glass of person.

I LOVE BEING HERE WITH MY FAMILY
    LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    Dear Friends,

It seems that we always have lots of 'not so good' things to say regarding this country. From homesickness to weather. Much have been said and sometimes made us more depressed and missing more our beloved country...
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=15585
    http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=13768

Now, let us make it different this time 'round. Let us be more positive.

Britons can contribute here too...

Guide phrases:
    I love this country because...
    What I learnt here...
    What amazes me...
    I have learnt to love UK...
    I am happy because...

etc etc etc... (please add more, just about anything really!)

Let me start:

What I love about this country is the: WEATHER!!
    It has 4 seasons:
    Summer (SUN, airconditioned SUN! No sweating excessively; Days are longer than nights; at 8PM Sun is still up and skies are bright; BBQ-ing with friends)
    Autumn (orange, red & yellow leaves, how do they change colours?)
    Winter (CHRISTMAS SEASON! snuggly and cozy drinking hot chocolate in a winter dark night sitting by the fireplace with the one you love )

_________

I love the food (LOL)

Having a fresh air everyday, eventhough there is no sun.

Being with my husband
    It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.

I love everything here in UK except for the fact that i wish i could share it too to my Family back in PI
    Filipina a born survivor!

things I LOVE in the UK...

1. My HUSBAND, though sometimes he's a bit grumpy
    ( hope he's not reading)

2. four seasons (winter, spring, summer or fall)

3. they speak what's on their mind

4. safe and clean surroundings (no pollution)

5. discipline

6. no traffics

7. VENISON and LAMB

8. nice views and scenery ( most especially in our place:xxgrinning-- 00xx3:)

9. Castles- king's and queens

10. Holiday Pay..

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    NHS! back home we have to pay for everything... no money you die... here its free and i am thankful for that. I do not have to worry if my son or husband needed something major done to them
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

Banned
    What's good about the UK?

I love this country because some people here have a sense of humour!

What I learnt here, tolerance and sense of history and culture out dating so many other places.

What amazes me is that English is a second language in some schools.

I have learnt to love UK because I can eat pork there.

I am happy because I am healthy.

(Surely I can move to "Respected" status now! hehehehe

Ohhh how I love the British accent

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Famous poets, writers, novelists, playwright were born here... Shakespeare, Jane Austen, CS Lewis and a lot more...

- - - - - - - - - -

I MR BEAN!!!!

Banned
    Mr Bean. I always get called that at least once in Manila. Can't think why.

Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    NHS! back home we have to pay for everything... no money you die... here its free and i am thankful for that. I do not have to worry if my son or husband needed something major done to them
    I totally agree! Our NHS has been around in one form or another since my infancy and its introduction in 1948 is still regarded as being perhaps this country's biggest singular achievement. Where else in the world is one likely to find anything comparable with this venerable "free" [for the most part] public service? Admittedly, over the intervening years there have been many (myself included) who've seen fit to curse unpopular cutbacks - not least the decision by Health Boards to introduce car parking charges for hospital visitors and staff alike - but, the knock-on effect of providing adequate healthcare for an increasingly ageing population has undoubtedly led to severe financial constraints, and the revenue must be recouped somehow ...

Banned
    I love here in RICH UK for my loving honey buney and lovely in-laws but never forget my dearest and nearest in POOR PHILIPPINES. I met some Filipinas in Holland and 2 of them never bother to see and visit Philippines anymore

The countryside amazes me. I thought it was landscaped so I asked my hubby if British ancestors did it. He laugh and said it is not man made

I like the elderlies here same as in Pinas. They are really polite and they will always greet you around.

I love the beauty of Scotland That's why been there (Highlands) for almost 7 times.

I like England Posh accent

I don't like the weather here, I love Philippines weather

I don't like the Parliament here when they are having their debate. My hair stands!!! Kinikilabutan po ako

I learnt here that money doesn't grows on trees Life is not a bed of Roses, many people in debt

I am happy because, hubby paid his debt and not struggling anymore. I am happy too I live with cash no credit card as I don't like to be in debt. I am happy we're still togeter after 5 years and running for 6 years in poorer and in richer I'm happy because Hubby and in-laws are always there

Childrens television, especally CBeebies.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by adam&chryss View Post
    Some people are so so so ungrateful for the opportunities they have.
    I`m proud to be English and if everybody else leaves the country then good, i`ll have it all to myself
    Theres lots to be happy about it depends wether your the half full/half empty glass of person.
    True true true

Quote Originally Posted by Ann07 View Post
    I LOVE BEING HERE WITH MY FAMILY
    Quote Originally Posted by tiN View Post
    I love the food (LOL)
    Oh yes, the FOOOOODDDD!!!
    Roast dinners, shepherd's/cottage pies, fish & chips, pasties, delis and all!!!

There's just something about English/British food

Quote Originally Posted by eljean View Post
    I love everything here in UK except for the fact that i wish i could share it too to my Family back in PI
    How we wish we could share things with them... I pray

Quote Originally Posted by kimmi View Post
    things I LOVE in the UK...
    1. My HUSBAND - NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT!!
    3. they speak what's on their mind - YOU DO NOT NEED TO READ MINDS!!! HEHEHE!! THEY ARE PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD. THE ANSWER YOU WILL BE GETTING IS A DEFINITE YES OR NO ONLY HEHEHE, WALANG PAKIPOT AND KUNYARI AYAW PERO GUSTO HEHEHE - We'll I am still like this hehe, pakipot hehe...
    4. safe and clean surroundings (no pollution) - VERY ORGANIZED, WEEKLY RUBBISH COLLECTIONS: ORANGE RECYLING BOX IS JUST BRILLIANT!!! I HAVENT SEEN ANY COCKROACHES, RATS/MICE, FLIES, ANTS AND ASONG KALYE HEHE
    5. discipline THEY KNOW WHERE THE PUBLIC TOILETS ARE LOL...
    6. no traffics THEY KNOW HOW TO USE TRAFFIC LIGHTS!!! NOT OVERTAKING ON CURVES
    8. nice views and scenery ( most especially in our place:xxgrinning-- 00xx3:) COUNTRSIDE IS ACE
    9. Castles- king's and queens - SIRS & MADAMES, LORDS & LADIES
    10. Holiday Pay..- OH SO YES!!!, SICK PAY, MATERNITY PAY, BANK HOLIDAYS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    NHS!!!! BRILLIANT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
    I love this country because some people here have a sense of humour!
    What I learnt here, tolerance and sense of history and culture out dating so many other places.
    What amazes me is that English is a second language in some schools.
    I have learnt to love UK because I can eat pork there.
    I am happy because I am healthy.
    (Surely I can move to "Respected" status now! hehehehe
    HEHEHE... U NEED TO POST MORE TO EARN THAT HEHEHE...

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    I totally agree! Our NHS has been around in one form or another since my infancy and its introduction in 1948 is still regarded as being perhaps this country's biggest singular achievement. Where else in the world is one likely to find anything comparable with this venerable "free" [for the most part] public service?
    In the US you need to have a Health Care Plan (not free).
    In PI if you want a private doctor and a private room you need to have lots of disposable cash to pay out. Yes there is the PhilHealth & SSS but some are only being benefited by these if they are properly employed or have properly filed as members to claim their benefits...

Quote Originally Posted by potpot143 View Post
    I also like people in the UK for being so thoughtful, sending or giving greeting cards, People are are more considerate. - FANTASTIC! GREETING CARDS AND CASH GIFTS HEHEHEHE HOW THOUGHTFUL IS THAT?
    Quiet environment. Well organized housing estate. - QUIET, VERY QUIET, NO TAMBAYS (BYSTANDERS), NO TSISMOSANG KAPITBAHAY! (NOSEY NEIGHBOURS)
    Self-service check out. - YOU LEARN HOW TO DO IT YOURSELF!!! I REALLY LIKE THIS BECAUSE THERE IS THIS SENSE OF EQUALITY AND RESPECT. NO SLAVES, NO MAIDS ETC...
    Ikea hehehehe - GREAT BARGAINS!!!
    And most of all my loving and handsome Sweetheart.
    Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post

The countryside amazes me. I thought it was landscaped so I asked my hubby if British ancestors did it. He laugh and said it is not man made - DEFINETELY NOT A MAN MADE!!! AMAZING RIGHT?!!!

I like the elderlies here same as in Pinas. They are really polite and they will always greet you around. INDEED!!!

I learnt here that money doesn't grows on trees Life is not a bed of Roses, many people in debt -WORK SAVE WORK SAVE & WORK SAVE. JUST BEING SENSIBLE...

there

BRILLIANT!!! TA!!!

Respected Member katie37pinayuk's Avatar
    I love this country because...i found true love here
    i learnt how to work hard...harder...and hardest hehe, also im good with doing household chores now plus to cook
    What amazes me...are the honesty, openness, and simplicity of the most of the british people i met
    I have learnt to love UK...as i have built a new life here
    I am happy because...i am with my beloved in the UK

also....i do not see job adverts like:
    requirements for the job - not more than 25 y/o, single, with pleasing personality...etc.

as i feel more empowered and liberated in this country. less discrimination as i find Philippines (my own country though) to be more discriminating.

i enjoy life more here.

Quote Originally Posted by katie37pinayuk View Post
    i learnt how to work hard...harder...and hardest hehe, also im good with doing household chores now plus to cook
    What amazes me...are the honesty, openness, and simplicity of the most of the british people i met

requirements for the job - not more than 25 y/o, single, with pleasing personality...etc.

as i feel more empowered and liberated in this country. less discrimination as i find Philippines (my own country though) to be more discriminating.

i enjoy life more here.

Hello nice to know that u learn to love the UK, what about the weather? like it when people points out the positive side of the uk too.

I so agree with the discrimination in our own country Phili esp the job adverts i really hate it coz im over 25 yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by katie37pinayuk View Post

i enjoy life more here.

Same same! I'm surprised too, I enjoyed housework, cooking and working here...
    With regards to work & employment, age isn't a requirement as long as you are fit for the job...

PARKING BAYS are superb too: DISABLED & PARENT & CHILD PARKING

Respected Member katie37pinayuk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    Hello nice to know that u learn to love the UK, what about the weather? like it when people points out the positive side of the uk too.

I so agree with the discrimination in our own country Phili esp the job adverts i really hate it coz im over 25 yrs old
    you will get used to the weather - just wrap yourself up then if its cold and chilly. on my first 3 months, every single day i wanted to go home to the sunny Philippines

i feel you can do more here. in our country, it's like ageing is always seen as a setback.. when i had my interview for my current post, i was not even asked about my age, marital status, religion or where i am from - but they focus more on what i can contribute to the company. but back home when i was on my early 20's, when being interviewed - first thing they care about is your appearance and more on my personal life... and if you have wrinkles...you are out

not just the age - some of us discriminate more with the colour of the skin...if light, you are the one. and we criticise more with the way people talk that we have to speak and pronouce perfect english ...here as long you send the message across it is fine hehe

and some are boastful and proud, envious and jealous - if neighbour has a brand new model of the car or if a friend has bought a new house or...i can just go on and on...

i meant not to offend anyone, it is just my thoughts. i love the honesty and simplicity of the people i met here...Filipino? more complicated

OTHERWISE, i still look forward to coming back to my beloved homeland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information