Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

At UK, what awaits, what challenges to hurdle?

these thoughts cropped up as i am getting ready for documents to support an eventual fiancee visa application. What life awaits for me there, not simply being a wife?

This is a rant?

What awaits? Probably an empty country, we're all leaving!
    Keith Driscoll - Administrator
    Managing Director, Win2Win Limited

Banned
    expensive banana and stuff

singkwenta pesos na kapiranggot na ilang hiblang sitaw na putol putol .....huwaaahhhhh

missus just transfer it your hubby,nice to say it in tagalog eh!!

Quote Originally Posted by eagles View Post
    these thoughts cropped up as i am getting ready for documents to support an eventual fiancee visa application. What life awaits for me there, not simply being a wife?
    I'm sure you'll be very disappointed when you get here. Most Filipinos think it's going to be fantastic because they think this is such a rich country. They they see all of these rich westerners in Phils, going through what most Filipinos would regard as huge sums of money in a few weeks while they're on holiday there.

But the truth is were all quite skint here in the UK, apart from maybe the top 10% of earners, because everything is so expensive in the UK and we only feel rich when we're in Phils, where you can get a good meal for P150, a san mig for less than P40 and a pack of cigs for about the same.

Iain.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    But the truth is were all quite skint here in the UK, .
    The word is 90%+ of the population is bankrupted, and now has to spend 10-20 years paying off the governments debt.....rich my

the only thing that I can say is Don't expect too much..

Kimmi is right, don't expect too much!!! Life here isn't a bed of roses. You'll find out for yourself when you get here. It's so boring here specially if you don't have a job like me... Oh sorry here I am again, whining of being unemployed...

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    cheer up you guys summer is coming!
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Win2Win View Post
    The word is 90%+ of the population is bankrupted, and now has to spend 10-20 years paying off the governments debt.....rich my
    Going way off thread, I blame most of our lack of wealth (Mr Average) on the the Thatcher years. According to her master plan nothing should be subsidised and nothing should be owned or run by the state. This resulted in the basics of life, water, gas, electric etc being privatised, with the private companies being given a guarantee that they would be allowed to hike up prices by 5% above the rate of inflation year after year.

As a result, those on modest incomes found that more and more of their desposable incomes was used up just on utility bills and food. I think she did do some good things like taming the trade unions which made the UK far more competitive, but overall her government stuck rigidly to their "free market" dogma where nothing was judged to have any value to the people or the nation as a whole, if it wasn't paying it's way without government subsidy.

Thats the main reason I say were all skint in this country is that the amount of disposable income Mr Average has left over after he has paid for the essentials is far less than it was in the 70's in real terms, whilst the rich, those who could afford to spend thousands of pounds on those privatisation shares, have become even richer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Gordon Brown or new labour either, we just swapped one dogma for another when labour came to power. The trouble is, now it looks like we'll get the other lot back in again in about a year or so, with their propensity to look after "our" people as Thatcher used to call them, the die-hard core of Conservative supporters, instead of the nation as a whole.

Iain.

Going way off thread, I blame most of our lack of wealth (Mr Average) on the the Thatcher years.
    The Yanks are now blaming the foundations of their downfall on Reagan

Blame the dead and infirm

I'm sure you'll be very disappointed when you get here. Most Filipinos think it's going to be fantastic because they think this is such a rich country. They they see all of these rich westerners in Phils, going through what most Filipinos would regard as huge sums of money in a few weeks while they're on holiday there.

But the truth is were all quite skint here in the UK, apart from maybe the top 10% of earners, because everything is so expensive in the UK and we only feel rich when we're in Phils, where you can get a good meal for P150, a san mig for less than P40 and a pack of cigs for about the same.

Iain.
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDRES25 View Post
    Kimmi is right, don't expect too much!!! Life here isn't a bed of roses. You'll find out for yourself when you get here. It's so boring here specially if you don't have a job like me... Oh sorry here I am again, whining of being unemployed...
    Going way off thread, I blame most of our lack of wealth (Mr Average) on the the Thatcher years. According to her master plan nothing should be subsidised and nothing should be owned or run by the state. This resulted in the basics of life, water, gas, electric etc being privatised, with the private companies being given a guarantee that they would be allowed to hike up prices by 5% above the rate of inflation year after year.

As a result, those on modest incomes found that more and more of their desposable incomes was used up just on utility bills and food. I think she did do some good things like taming the trade unions which made the UK far more competitive, but overall her government stuck rigidly to their "free market" dogma where nothing was judged to have any value to the people or the nation as a whole, if it wasn't paying it's way without government subsidy.

Thats the main reason I say were all skint in this country is that the amount of disposable income Mr Average has left over after he has paid for the essentials is far less than it was in the 70's in real terms, whilst the rich, those who could afford to spend thousands of pounds on those privatisation shares, have become even richer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Gordon Brown or new labour either, we just swapped one dogma for another when labour came to power. The trouble is, now it looks like we'll get the other lot back in again in about a year or so, with their propensity to look after "our" people as Thatcher used to call them, the die-hard core of Conservative supporters, instead of the nation as a whole.

Iain.

Listen to them...

But... it's not that bad here in the UK... lol

Respected Member
    Simply put, you must forget first what you know from the philippines and open your mind to learning and adapting the UK WAY and how everything is done here. The sooner you accept change, the easier will it be for you to adjust here. Just be flexible and open minded for new things and most importantly, have the right attitude all the time. It makes a lot of difference no matter where you are and no matter how tough the challenges you may face. And don't worry too much and get so anxious about what awaits for you here, it's not so bad. Just learn to embrace the good and ignore the bad.

i agree...

The Yanks are now blaming the foundations of their downfall on Reagan

Blame the dead and infirm
    Well policy wise Reagan and Thatcher were very much the same.

As long as you're coming here for the right reasons, ie to be a wife and partner to your husband and not as an OFW who just happens to have a ring on her finger and a visa, then I'm sure you'll be OK...... and as long as your family back home understands the difference between a wife and an OFW as well.

Iain.

its not so bad here!

as long as you have a loving husband to look after you im sure you be ok

you maybe surprised how much you will like it here?

just take your time to get over the jet lag and adjust to your new surrounding,im sure you will manage just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    its not so bad here!
    Not when your looking at it from Las Vegas!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bornatbirth View Post
    its not so bad here!

as long as you have a loving husband to look after you im sure you be ok

you maybe surprised how much you will like it here?

just take your time to get over the jet lag and adjust to your new surrounding,im sure you will manage just fine!
    Fair comment,at least you didnt scared her

Not when your looking at it from Las Vegas!
    when ever i think of vegas all i see is CSI and its such a seedy boring place and full of americans too

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.JMajor View Post
    Fair comment,at least you didnt scared her
    yep shes already getting nervous and some of the above posters are making it worse when life isnt so bad!

thanks for the advices, much of my learnings about UK is from this forum (when i browsed as guest) I am coming there to be with my beloved as what we have planned years ago except that my work in phils tied me up. Hopefully, i can have all docs ready before the end of this year. Thanks a lot and may & rest of the forum member continue to give advices

Respected Member
    thanks for the advices, much of my learnings about UK is from this forum (when i browsed as guest) I am coming there to be with my beloved as what we have planned years ago except that my work in phils tied me up. Hopefully, i can have all docs ready before the end of this year. Thanks a lot and may & rest of the forum member continue to give advices
    All the best on your application and your coming here to join your beloved

.... my work in phils tied me up.
    I hope that's the only thing that tied you up we don't tolerate those sort of games in this country

What you will love is Car-Boots and Flea Markets oh and Tat shops
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

Respected Member
    Yeah its very boring here.....
    You can drink the tap water and not get ill.....
    Unless you live in a city like London you can also walk and breathe fresh air, and nowhere, nowhere is like Manila or other Phil cities/towns for smell /pollution.
    There arn`t many malls here cos we arn`t yanks and walking round all day NOT buying anything apart from a 50peso drink ISNT fun !!
    Come here and learn that the whole world isnt asian or american, work hard, enjoy yourself and improve yourself.
    Remember, your coming here of your own choice and arn`t forced to so moaning doesnt shine brigthly upon you.
    And yes, it rains here but i`ve never been to Phil and not had rain. Heavy rain.
    Oh, no typhoons here either, more boringness then!
    Good luck with your application but please have an open mind when you come here and don`t moan like so many people do.

this forum helped a lot.Cheers!

some of the things that i dislike in here is i'm paying too much tax ( about £300-400/mo) that i'm not even entitled to any of them...despite working fulltime and paying everything the government asked i could be sent home if my employer decides i'm no longer needed for the job...too much council tax... everything is expensive... just got my p60 paid £3172 to the taxman and i bet you he wont give me even a penny back!!!

As long as you're coming here for the right reasons, ie to be a wife and partner to your husband and not as an OFW who just happens to have a ring on her finger and a visa, then I'm sure you'll be OK...... and as long as your family back home understands the difference between a wife and an OFW as well.

Iain.
    sorry... could i just ask what's wrong with being an OFW????

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmi View Post
    I agree Feeling rich lang kami lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ANDRES25 View Post

If there's store in your area, like Spar/chinese food shop, try to ask them vacancy even tindera. Don't be shy, really hard to find a proper job.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by leahneilcheeka View Post
    sorry... could i just ask what's wrong with being an OFW????
    Nothing wrong on there,He is just saying OFW and a married filipina/Fiancee is difference..is it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    I agree Feeling rich lang kami lol!!!

If there's store in your area, like Spar/chinese food shop, try to ask them vacancy even tindera. Don't be shy, really hard to find a proper job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information