Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: EEA or British

EEA or British

Hi guys its me again, well i need some advice i have been with my wife for four years now and she is still in Phillies, i am going to bring her home this year (Pease God) i am so tired of being without her.
    My problem is, do i try to go the EEA route as an irish citezen or do i bring her home as a British citizen i hold both passports living in belfast as i do.

I have heard so many bad things about both to be honest i am scared to death, i am disabled but i am selling my house so i will have the money to support my new family, i wish i had a quantative idea of what is needed ie how much money you need to have and other possible obsticls, i want to do every thing above board and by the book, then it will not return in the future to bite us.
    I know you guys have been around this one before and i would value your expereince i just feel completley not in control and i hate that feeling i like to know what i must do and what is required of me. On a more personal level I love this lady so much i have been over to the phillies 4 times now and have never met a lady like her there is no doubt the philipino ladies make the best wives of any i am lucky to have her ..Dougie.

Banned
    I strongly advise to take advantage of the situation and take the EEA route.

Apart from the fact that is will be slightly easier and more of a foregone positive conclusion, the "Family Permit" and subsequent "Residence Cards" will be free of charge.
    If you weigh this against the Settlement Visa fee, FLR fee, ILR fee, Britishness Test fee, and breathing fees, you save yourself a tidy packet.
    Besides , if your wife intends to work, she would be entitled to do it from the moment she steps out of the plane.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    Besides , if your wife intends to work, she would be entitled to do it from the moment she steps out of the plane.
    She would be allowed to the other way (British spouse visa) as well. It's only if you weren't married that she wouldn't be able to work.

Respected Member
    One question though - is a dual (British/Irish) citizen allowed to exercise Treaty rights within the UK as their British citizenhip allows them residency within the UK anyway?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    One question though - is a dual (British/Irish) citizen allowed to exercise Treaty rights within the UK as their British citizenhip allows them residency within the UK anyway?
    I understand that it is possible.

yes i'm sure he can to

Apart from the fact that is will be slightly easier and more of a foregone positive conclusion, the "Family Permit" and subsequent "Residence Cards" will be free of charge.
    If you weigh this against the Settlement Visa fee, FLR fee, ILR fee, Britishness Test fee, and breathing fees, you save yourself a tidy packet.
    My God, Dom! Does that mean, if I'd been born on the correct side of the Irish Sea, I could've saved myself a small fortune and been spared a great deal of hassle into the bargain??

Hi thanks for your input, well yes we have the dubias right to use our natationality as we whish , ie i can be an EEA citizen in britain and get all the perks and rights of such, I can also use my british passport and be a british citizen and have the rights of that noble nation. I suppose it is the silver lining to the other problems we have had over here, I think you are right about the EEA route it seems the cheapist and unless i am wrong if i was to enter through the britisdh system we could not holiday out side britain with out applying for visas thank you for your comments.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    My God, Dom! Does that mean, if I'd been born on the correct side of the Irish Sea, I could've saved myself a small fortune and been spared a great deal of hassle into the bargain??

Och aye, big man.........

money

Hi me again. does any one know how much money i need to have in the bank to be able to keep /support my family according to the immigration rules? Any other pitfalls i could be told about would be great. I suppose this is a new question hope i havent stepped on any one toes. I think i just love to talk to people that have beautiful fillipino ladies as wive like mine i feel very lonely some times i am on my own and bringing up my 9 year old son so i miss my wife so very very much i know that there are memebers of this site will understand how i feel when a loved one is on the other side of the world, it is so very hard , well sorry for moanig, id love to know if others have been through my trails 4 years of them if you knew the details it would either curl you hair or like mine make it go grey hehe dougie

not many advantages of applying for a spouse visa, major one, your wife could apply for citizenship in 3years (thou this may change soon) compared with 5years using the euro route, also after 2years on a spouse visa your wife could apply for ILR, and if you divorced she could still stay, while i think the euro route you need to be married 3yrs and the last year has to be in the uk for her to stay.

disadvantages of the spouse visa compared with the family permit..

you have to pay, its not a 'legal' right compared with the family permit, usually you need more evidence for a spouse visa.

u appear to know a lot about this process...i am hoping u can give me more info please...u will be making dreams come true...thank you very much

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by belfast_dude View Post
    u appear to know a lot about this process...i am hoping u can give me more info please...u will be making dreams come true...thank you very much
    That is what I done for my wife, as I am Italian.

So it is just personal experience.

Obviously the system is very unfairly weighted against the brits, but they have the same rights, as us here, were they resident somewhere in Europe.

A few other people on the site did take advantage of the EEA route.

Spouse visa free of charge
    Residence card free of charge
    ILR (or whatever) free of charge.

That is what I done for my wife, as I am Italian.

So it is just personal experience.

Obviously the system is very unfairly weighted against the brits, but they have the same rights, as us here, were they resident somewhere in Europe.

A few other people on the site did take advantage of the EEA route.

Spouse visa free of charge
    Residence card free of charge
    ILR (or whatever) free of charge.

if i remember correctly , it takes 5yrs dom to get PR (equivalent to ILR), while using British the immigration system she could have ILR in 2yrs and citizenship in 3yrs.

then with PR if you want citizenship you will have to pay just like the brits, as citizenship is regulated by national law only, not EU.

and if your out of the country for 2yrs or more you can lose your PR just as you can with ILR.

so it depends how much money you have and how quick you want to wait til your wife is free of immigration control.

but for most who have a choice they go for the family permit.

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    You need to consider the advantage and disadvantage of each option (in relation to eligibility , Duration ILR entitlements..etc)

Thread Information