Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

What's next for Filipino nurses?

This article is quite old but still a must read for those who are concerned:

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=414991

just sad...

i think sooner or later the NHS will start employing pinoy nurses again, i read somewhere, there would be a shortage of nurses in the UK again, but like any job, the more skilled you are the better

me and the misses have nearly got her cousin thru a nursing degree in the phils, i don't think she is worried about him getting a job

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    This article is quite old but still a must read for those who are concerned:

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=414991

just sad...
    Yes we have loads of Nurses looking for job in the Philippines and for abroad. Hospitals in the PHilippines are quite wise these past few years as they know, they are just stepping stones. They hired RN but you cannot get Certificate of Employment until you reached 1 year or so. My niece got a job in Calamba Medical Center and her 6 months was under training. After her long wait, she reached 1 year+ to gain experience to be qualified in NZ and other better countries.

Doesnt pinas now require newly graduated nurses to do "Voluntary" work in pinoy hospitals for a set period of time before they brain-drain abroad?How long is the period?

The markets getting saturated,every man and his dog in Pinas is talking about training to be a nurse,I met a few 10 year old kids the other week who told me they intended to be nurses

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i think sooner or later the NHS will start employing pinoy nurses again, i read somewhere, there would be a shortage of nurses in the UK again, but like any job, the more skilled you are the better

me and the misses have nearly got her cousin thru a nursing degree in the phils, i don't think she is worried about him getting a job
    When I was at the hospital, NHS were advertising that they're needing new employees to be hired http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/ so really there's a shortage of NHS staff.

Joe, how's the cousin of your wife, still going ahead with the visa?

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post
    Yes we have loads of Nurses looking for job in the Philippines and for abroad. Hospitals in the PHilippines are quite wise these past few years as they know, they are just stepping stones. They hired RN but you cannot get Certificate of Employment until you reached 1 year or so. My niece got a job in Calamba Medical Center and her 6 months was under training. After her long wait, she reached 1 year+ to gain experience to be qualified in NZ and other better countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawi2 View Post
    Doesnt pinas now require newly graduated nurses to do "Voluntary" work in pinoy hospitals for a set period of time before they brain-drain abroad?How long is the period?
    The thing with this, Newly Registered Nurses or student nurses are being "forced" to do some trainings, to get qualifications needed. Forced - meaning they have no choice but to get some trainings without them being paid. Worst case scenario, most students are the one paying the hospitals... Unlike here, you are being paid doing OJTs.

The markets getting saturated,every man and his dog in Pinas is talking about training to be a nurse,I met a few 10 year old kids the other week who told me they intended to be nurses
    Yeah it's the ££££$$$$$$££££$$$$$$$ dream I am afraid...

Joe, how's the cousin of your wife, still going ahead with the visa?
    he's not finished his degree yet, i think start of next year he's finished

but i think he was talking about going to New Zealand or to the UK one day

some of my misses professors from years ago re-trained to be nurses and are in the uk now

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    he's not finished his degree yet, i think start of next year he's finished

but i think he was talking about going to New Zealand or to the UK one day

some of my misses professors from years ago re-trained to be nurses and are in the uk now
    yep! even Medical Doctors, dentists too!!!!!

Banned
    The thing with this, Newly Registered Nurses or student nurses are being "forced" to do some trainings, to get qualifications needed. Forced - meaning they have no choice but to get some trainings without them being paid. Worst case scenario, most students are the one paying the hospitals... Unlike here, you are being paid doing OJTs.

No:
    Even if nurses applied for volunteering, it's hard to get in because it's not from what you are but WHOM you are.

My doctor niece is also trained as Nurse in NZ

Newbie (Restricted Access)
    it's not really volunteer work because they will receive some allowance. besides that will give them the experience and training they need to be eligible for work abroad.

Banned
    yup.. 2 years serving the country first before they are allowed to look for work abroad.. and most employers would require them to have work experience..

Banned
    my sister's friend just arrived in London a few days ago... was hired as a nurse there but worked as nurse for 4 or 5 years in Davao...

Thread Information