Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Home Learning Courses

Does anybody have any experience with home learning courses?
    If so which are the best companies/qualifications to go for?
    Something along the lines of teaching assistant or care giver.
    Some look ok and are approx. £500 but I dont want to pay that much and then find out the qualification is

hi

Quote Originally Posted by adam&chryss View Post
    Some look ok and are approx. £500 but I dont want to pay that much and then find out the qualification is
    hi ya, i studied once thru ics but i paid bout 500£. that was 3 years ago :( and if u are working as a care assistant then u will get the nvq2 for free (health in social care 2) sila na ang mag pay ng fee it is a requirements na this time..i got mine luckily last year and passed )

Respected Member
    Hi sis, i was doing a bookeeping and accountancy when i was waiting 2 get a job. I was in ICS also and paid for £300.

Right now as I dont work for almost 3 months, i am finishing my IT course thorugh e-careers. We paid £69 but I need to take 7 test worth £15 each to get the qualification ECDL.

Goodluck po
    It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy.

Respected Member
    Thanks po.
    Because i`ve just given birth I want something I can study at home just for a few hours a day.
    That way when I look for work once Isaac is older I already have some types of qualification.
    So studying on the job isn`t an option at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by edelacruz View Post
    hi ya, i studied once thru ics but i paid bout 500£. that was 3 years ago :( and if u are working as a care assistant then u will get the nvq2 for free (health in social care 2) sila na ang mag pay ng fee it is a requirements na this time..i got mine luckily last year and passed )
    i just finished my LDQ 2 (learning disability qualification) and some other short courses which my company paid it and my company paid my time to attend the session aswell.
    all things are possible!

Depending on what you want to study it may be cheaper to self study and pay for any exams.

For example I have met people who have paid hundreds if not thousands to study for something. They could probably have bought,books,videos and software to self study. If your motivated its worth considering.

I have experience of several people wanting to acheive the same qualfication with roughly the same level of skills and experience in a workplace.

Many of those who self studied I noted seem to learn more and many of the people who were taught seemed to learn how to pass the Exam.
    To check the Exam is included and what the Exam is for.

This was more in the I.T industry.

Its good if you can get your Employers to pay but be aware in case you have a clause which means within a certain period you dont have to pay at least a percentage back.
    Also when employers train you many will give you top notch training but give you an internal qualfication/certficate for passing. So its basically worthless elsewhere.
    Again in these cases consider taking the exam your self often quality training is far more expensive than the Exam.

I know many people who have done this and others who regreted not investing and doing this.

Another point if you self study and you are working many companies will if its a useful qualfication/training for your work. Give you the time off and not count it as part of your holiday.
    If you can get paid for the days you are training/exam taking and not lose a day off its worth surely. Many companies know its cheaper to give an extra day off and get someone with better skills and knowledge then to pay for it

Same with many of the private Education companies have sales staff who you can sometimes haggle with. Not sure on cheaper courses but always worth saying well company a offer me this what can you offer?

A little bit of bargining, dont tell me any filipina is going to let some Brit out negotiate them after all that training in the local market
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Hello im taking a home study course right now in home learning college. Im taking up the sage instant payroll so thats in the accounting dept. so its up to you what course you wanna take and what you feel like doing. I just took up this course coz I dont want to work in an agency forever. so for now I study when I dont have work. Its not easy to look for a job here without the work experience and the NVQs.

but don't forget some places award their own certificates for courses they run, and some certificates are not recognised nationally or by employers

so be careful

Quote Originally Posted by DianaKevy View Post
    Hello im taking a home study course right now in home learning college. Im taking up the sage instant payroll so thats in the accounting dept. so its up to you what course you wanna take and what you feel like doing. I just took up this course coz I dont want to work in an agency forever. so for now I study when I dont have work. Its not easy to look for a job here without the work experience and the NVQs.
    SAGE is really good!

Respected Member
    thanks everyone!
    well still thinking about it... i'm not in a hurry anyway.
    can't work until our little boy goes to school. just getting more ideas and infos, so when the right time comes, i'm ready

Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    SAGE is really good!
    Yeah I hope I can easily find a job with this course especially nowadays that they are cost cutting.

Thread Information