Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Thread: Marks & Spencer

Marks & Spencer

Wow, what a culture shock for my good lady when I suggested we pop into M&S after church today to pass the time before catching our *bus home [even in a town the size of Perth, (where 'Stagecoach' has its origins) *services tend to be spasmodic on the Sabbath].

I think most UK citizens will be familiar with the telly advert that displays all manner of mouth-watering delicacies and concludes with the by-now famous words, "it's not just food ... it's M&S food!" Being not exactly the most affluent member of society, I cannot remember when I last visited the store (being more accustomed to the likes of Tesco and Farmfoods) and, one look at the prices, was enough to cause Myrna to remark, jokingly, that "this place should be called 'Marks & SpenDers' ... !" She could scarcely believe the cost of things - particularly in the flowers' section ... for example. orchids on sale for upwards of £20!! In the Phils the native variety of orchid can be bought for between 25 and 50 pesos.

Anyway, being aware that no lesser a personage than Maggie Thatcher is rumoured to purchase her knickers in this famous British chainstore, perhaps it might equally be called 'Marks & Suspenders' !!

We have M&S stores in the Phils, rather i mean in Manila. I am a regular costumer and i find it bit expensive but of good quality. My sister had worked here and so she has 20% disc as benefits. Sometimes she asks what do i want and she will use her card but that is seldom since she is using it for herself as well.

I find it hard to get my size here. I find the staffs very accomodating and can order the size and style i intend to buy if they are not available on the shelves.

Some items in the Phils has a price difference of something like P90.00 which is for freight charges. Sales people said UK items are shipped to HK before they reach the Phils.

" The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    We have M&S stores in the Phils, rather i mean in Manila.
    Yes, I have visited the store in Mall of Asia.

I am a regular costumer and i find it bit expensive but of good quality.
    I have found that exactly the same lines carried by the UK stores are significantly more expensive in Manila.

Hubby and I used to go to M&S once every two weeks, though the price is expensive u're assured with quality..

I think the difference of M&S here compared in the Phils. is the food section, in the Phils. they only have the clothing dept. and the wines section..

They have chocolates, biscuits not the groceries like bread, meat etc. Big outlets in big malls has a lot of varieties to choose from.
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    They have chocolates, biscuits not the groceries like bread, meat etc. Big outlets in big malls has a lot of varieties to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by kimmi View Post
    Hubby and I used to go to M&S once every two weeks, though the price is expensive u're assured with quality..
    same here sis kimmi,its a bit expensive compare to some local supermarket
    but the quality is the best...

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Little View Post
    for example. orchids on sale for upwards of £20!! In the Phils the native variety of orchid can be bought for between 25 and 50 pesos.
    Hmmmm - I think if we had beautiful native orchids in the UK they would be less expensive here too.

We bought lots of special offer Christmas presents from M&S before going to the Phils 3 years ago. When we were there we found the M&S in Cebu and were surprised at how more expensive those presents were in there.

I buy my jeans in M&S as they're only £9.30 however I don't buy their food unless I'm buying a tin of biscuits or something as a present.

Thread Information