Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

time to apply for citizenship

rob has your misses applied yet ?

i've booked me misses an appointment on the 23rd with NCS, might as well get it out of the way, i'll get the papers ready over the weekend, she using her manager and boss as referees, as they have now known her 3yrs - the reason for the delay

didn't want to waste money using NCS but the misses need her passport

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    she using her manager and boss as referees, as they have now known her 3yrs - the reason for the delay

hi Joe,

Good luck to your wife's application...

Anyway, who are qualified to be the referees? Are there any guidelines about this? Thank you.

Regards!

oh yes there is,

SECTION 5: REFEREES AND IDENTITY
    Your application must be endorsed by two referees and a recent passport size photograph
    stapled or clipped into the space provided. The photograph must show the whole of the
    front of your face in reasonable light. It should not show your face wholly or partly
    concealed by your hair (beards, sideburns and moustaches excepted) or by a scarf or
    traditional dress. It should not show you wearing dark glasses or a hat, hood, cap or scarf.
    Each referee should have known you personally for at least 3 years.
    One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as a
    doctor, a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body, e.g.
    accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). A list of acceptable
    professional persons can be found on our website.
    The other referee must be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional
    person or over the age of 25.
    Each referee should be:
    • not related to you
    • not related to the other referee
    • not your solicitor or agent representing you with this application
    • not employed by the Home Office
    We will not accept a referee who has been convicted of an imprisonable offence during the
    last 10 years and the sentence has not become spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders
    Act 1974 – see page 20.
    If you are living abroad and do not know a British citizen who is qualified to act as one of
    your referees, a Commonwealth citizen or citizen of the country in which you are residing
    may complete and sign the form, provided he/she has professional standing in that country,
    has known you for three years and the Consul considers his/her signature to be acceptable.
    Checks may be carried out to ensure that the referees do not have unspent convictions (see
    page 20) and are qualified to act for you and that their signatures are genuine. It is a
    criminal offence to provide false information knowingly or recklessly punishable with up to
    3 months imprisonment or by a fine not exceeding £5,000 or both under section 46(1) of
    the British Nationality Act 1981.
    Once you have two referees and they have completed Section 5 you should recheck the
    information you have provided and go to Section 6.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...y/guide_an.pdf

Salamat salamat salamat!

Banned
    Not yet, Elsa has to take the LifeintheUk test, and then find the squids to pay for the whole thing. Could be a while yet.

I take it UKBA won't be moving the goalposts again in the next 6-12 months when it comes to applying for Citizenship? I see prices are rising next month to £720

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...feesfrom060409

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ts/sponsorfees

NCS is not available at our local council. However, what is good is that Aberystwyth has one of 3 IPS offices in Wales, so its only a short 4 mile trip when Elsa has her passport interview rather than 100 mile drive to Swansea or Newport.

Quote Originally Posted by walesrob View Post
    I take it UKBA won't be moving the goalposts again in the next 6-12 months when it comes to applying for Citizenship? I see prices are rising next month to £720

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...feesfrom060409

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ts/sponsorfees

Yep £720!

Good luck to your wife's application, Mod Joe. Hope everything goes well. God bless.
    Faith makes all things possible.
    makes them easy.

Respected Member
    One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as a doctor, a minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body, e.g. accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). A list of acceptable professional persons can be found on our website.
    Here's the full list of acceptable professional persons (the one that doesn't have to be a British passport holder).

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...xa?view=Binary

There's a new Bill going through at the moment that was originally planned to be implemented late 2009. No idea if it will really get implemented then, or how it will affect current ILR holders who want to apply for citizenship after the Bill is implemented.

Not yet, Elsa has to take the LifeintheUk test, and then find the squids to pay for the whole thing. Could be a while yet.
    i don't have the money either, i'm paying by CC , still paying the hospital fees for my stepsons baby

i've just had enough of them pushing the prices up and putting more hurdles in the way

Respected Member
    How about children, do they need referees?

Quote Originally Posted by nparvus1202 View Post
    How about children, do they need referees?
    yes i think they do, same as an adult, also if they are over 10yrs old, they must be of good character, Criminal record checks will be carried out in all cases on minors 10 and over. If the child has a conviction which is not yet “spent” under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, an application for citizenship made now is unlikely to be successful.

Hi!

Just sharing. In all my applications that need referees and my sons passports...I've asked my pinay friend who is a registered nurse and a Brit citizen. No problems encountered. In my passport interview they've asked about her as well.

Respected Member
    Another question, do they need to be different referees to all (6) or two referees can sign for adult and child applications?

Quote Originally Posted by nparvus1202 View Post
    Another question, do they need to be different referees to all (6) or two referees can sign for adult and child applications?
    no i wouldn't have thought they would have to be different, but they must have known the person 3yrs thou

Its a really good that you started this Joe. That gives us an idea for those who will apply next

I asked my priest already too early and our close brit friend hahahaha my husband said im too early. Better than late

Goodluck to your wife Joe

i've booked me misses an appointment on the 23rd with NCS, might as well get it out of the way, i'll get the papers ready over the weekend, she using her manager and boss as referees, as they have now known her 3yrs - the reason for the delay

didn't want to waste money using NCS but the misses need her passport
    Hi Joe,
    What is the NCS?
    Iain.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...rvice/#header1

The nationality checking service is provided by local authorities (for example your county council or city council). A local authority can accept and forward your application to us. They will ensure that your form is correctly completed, and they will copy your documents and return them to you. They will ensure that your application is validly submitted and that the unwaivable requirements for citizenship are met. However, they will not give you nationality advice.

This service has been very popular since its introduction in 2005 as there are a number of advantages:

* last year only 2% of applications made this way were unsuccessful. This compares with 10% refusals for other applications;
    * you can keep hold of your documents (like your passport) - we can, however, request the originals if we need them.

i think they charge £45 thou

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...vicelocations/
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...s/ncs_england/

Community and Living
    Nationality Checking Registration and Celebratory Services offers a Nationality Checking Service (NCS) at the Register Office

We will:

Provide blank application forms and leaflets;
    Check that the application forms have been completed correctly and in full. In particular, we will check that the forms have been signed;
    Check that all relevant documents are present;
    Check that the correct fee has been submitted;
    Photocopy valuable documents, such as passports and marriage certificates. Collect in and submit Life in the UK certificates and other evidence of competence in the English language;
    Certify the copies and return the originals to you;
    Forward applications to the Nationality Group by special delivery.
    Please be advised that we offer this service for a fee and by appointment only. The fees for the Nationality Checking Service are as follows

Type of Application Fee (£)
    Adult who submits a single application pays one fee - 50.00
    Husband and wife living together who apply concurrently pay one fee - 75.00
    Family application (husband and wife and up to two children) - 90.00
    Additional children on family application 25.00 per additional child
    One or more children under the age of 18 who apply separately from their parents 30.00 per child
    Single parent and up to two children - 75.00

Please note that a non-refundable deposit of £20 per appointment will be charged when the booking is made. This must be paid by credit or debit card (£0.50 charge for using a credit card).

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...rvice/#header1

The nationality checking service is provided by local authorities (for example your county council or city council). A local authority can accept and forward your application to us. They will ensure that your form is correctly completed, and they will copy your documents and return them to you. They will ensure that your application is validly submitted and that the unwaivable requirements for citizenship are met. However, they will not give you nationality advice.

This service has been very popular since its introduction in 2005 as there are a number of advantages:

* last year only 2% of applications made this way were unsuccessful. This compares with 10% refusals for other applications;
    * you can keep hold of your documents (like your passport) - we can, however, request the originals if we need them.

i think they charge £45 thou
    Good info Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...vicelocations/
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...s/ncs_england/

Community and Living
    Nationality Checking Registration and Celebratory Services offers a Nationality Checking Service (NCS) at the Register Office

We will:

Provide blank application forms and leaflets;
    Check that the application forms have been completed correctly and in full. In particular, we will check that the forms have been signed;
    Check that all relevant documents are present;
    Check that the correct fee has been submitted;
    Photocopy valuable documents, such as passports and marriage certificates. Collect in and submit Life in the UK certificates and other evidence of competence in the English language;
    Certify the copies and return the originals to you;
    Forward applications to the Nationality Group by special delivery.
    Please be advised that we offer this service for a fee and by appointment only. The fees for the Nationality Checking Service are as follows

Type of Application Fee (£)
    Adult who submits a single application pays one fee - 50.00
    Husband and wife living together who apply concurrently pay one fee - 75.00
    Family application (husband and wife and up to two children) - 90.00
    Additional children on family application 25.00 per additional child
    One or more children under the age of 18 who apply separately from their parents 30.00 per child
    Single parent and up to two children - 75.00

Please note that a non-refundable deposit of £20 per appointment will be charged when the booking is made. This must be paid by credit or debit card (£0.50 charge for using a credit card).

Thanks Zobel

Citizenship fee £720 after next month + £50(adult) NCS = £ 770

What else? £££££££££££££

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Ann07 View Post
    Citizenship fee £720 after next month + £50(adult) NCS = £ 770

What else? £££££££££££££
    a good laugh after all the £££££ hehehe...

we still have around 7 months to prepare for the citizenship Ann!!

my belt is already tight (coz i am pregnant lol) and it will be tighter and tighter!!!

a good laugh after all the £££££ hehehe...

we still have around 7 months to prepare for the citizenship Ann!!

my belt is already tight (coz i am pregnant lol) and it will be tighter and tighter!!!
    I know

i know that if you applied for brit passport do you need another referees is it the same person as your referees in your naturalization application? Is it 2 referees again? Thanks

Hi Cheesewiz,

I dont think it matters so long as they are professionals, meet the requirements etc. As I've mentioned, in all my applications that I have done that needed referees - I have only asked the same people to sign, even with my sons passports.

they didn't charge anything when the misses phoned, looks like each council is setting its own prices and conditions

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewiz View Post
    i know that if you applied for brit passport do you need another referees is it the same person as your referees in your naturalization application? Is it 2 referees again? Thanks
    yes i don't see why not, the misses will be using the same referees, for her passport as she will be for her citizenship. i cannot find anywhere it mentions anything about they cannot be the same referees.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldine View Post
    Hi Cheesewiz,

I dont think it matters so long as they are professionals, meet the requirements etc. As I've mentioned, in all my applications that I have done that needed referees - I have only asked the same people to sign, even with my sons passports.

thanks geraldine I just want to know this things now so if i decided to apply for my naturalization next year i have some idea already....I am applying for my ILR by post this Monday finger cross everything will be okay and before this immigration law change.

thanks geraldine I am applying for my ILR by post this Monday finger cross everything will be okay and before this immigration law change.
    beat the price increases and be free from your workpermit chains

i think it will be many months b4 you get it thou, going to be long queues trying to beat the increase and changes..

good luck

beat the price increases and be free from your workpermit chains

i think it will be many months b4 you get it thou, going to be long queues trying to beat the increase and changes..

good luck

thanks mod joe good luck to your wife too

yeah i am ready for the waiting time i just hope it wont take before Dec bec i am due to fly back home lol some of my filipino friends they applied by post most of them get it for 2 months. some said apply in person but i just got my sponsor visa last month that cost me almost £400 (so i can get the £7.02/hour) applying in person is expensive aside from my train fare etc and I am saving £££££ for my long holiday to my beloved country

yeah i am ready for the waiting time i just hope it wont take before Dec bec i am due to fly back home lol
    i think you will be looking at upto 3 or 4 months, but you'll have it b4 dec

maybe me and the misses will be going to the phils in dec, depends how her exam goes and finding a full time job goes. she's not been to the phils for 4 yrs hope its still the same place

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information