Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

What Makes A Good Marriage?

Making a good marriage takes work. During courtship and the newlywed period, a couple will often feel like their marriage will never have any problems. They assume that they will always be as passionate as they are then; that they will have a good marriage forever. However, as many married couples discover, having a good marriage does take work.

There are a variety of other general characteristics of a good marriage. In a good marriage.....,

> husband and wife are careful to avoid temptations of infidelity.
    > In a good marriage, couples respect one another.
    > In a good marriage, people are willing to admit they are wrong. People forgive one another.
    > In a good marriage, the partners have respect for one another’s boundaries and privacy.
    > In a good marriage, couples are loving, avoid unnecessary criticism, and are generally polite to one another.
    > In a good marriage, the couple recognized that they are a team, and organize their lives as such.

At the root of much of these ideas is communication. Communication is one of the most important ways to have a good marriage. This is true in all of the areas of married life. A good marriage is one in which the couple can communicate about every issue, including children, work, household management, and sex. Couples need to be able to discuss how they are feeling, both in terms of how they feel about one another but also in terms of how they are feeling about other things in life. This does not mean that the husband and wife always agree on every issue; but it does mean that each is willing to listen to the other, and to discuss their points of view. Good communication makes a good marriage.

A good marriage is also one in which the married couple spends time together. With the hectic schedule of the modern world, couples have to make time to just be alone together. This can be anything from the weekly scheduled date night to an hour or so spent together in the evening after the kids are in bed. On a regular basis, the couple in a good marriage will do something together that they enjoy.

Ultimately, a good marriage is built on a foundation of love; but the bricks-and-mortar that rest on that foundation, such as communication, respect, and spending time together, take some effort.
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post

Making a good marriage takes work. During courtship and the newlywed period, a couple will often feel like their marriage will never have any problems. They assume that they will always be as passionate as they are then; that they will have a good marriage forever. However, as many married couples discover, having a good marriage does take work.

There are a variety of other general characteristics of a good marriage. In a good marriage.....,

> husband and wife are careful to avoid temptations of infidelity.
    > In a good marriage, couples respect one another.
    > In a good marriage, people are willing to admit they are wrong. People forgive one another.
    > In a good marriage, the partners have respect for one another’s boundaries and privacy.
    > In a good marriage, couples are loving, avoid unnecessary criticism, and are generally polite to one another.
    > In a good marriage, the couple recognized that they are a team, and organize their lives as such.

At the root of much of these ideas is communication. Communication is one of the most important ways to have a good marriage. This is true in all of the areas of married life. A good marriage is one in which the couple can communicate about every issue, including children, work, household management, and sex. Couples need to be able to discuss how they are feeling, both in terms of how they feel about one another but also in terms of how they are feeling about other things in life. This does not mean that the husband and wife always agree on every issue; but it does mean that each is willing to listen to the other, and to discuss their points of view. Good communication makes a good marriage.

A good marriage is also one in which the married couple spends time together. With the hectic schedule of the modern world, couples have to make time to just be alone together. This can be anything from the weekly scheduled date night to an hour or so spent together in the evening after the kids are in bed. On a regular basis, the couple in a good marriage will do something together that they enjoy.

Ultimately, a good marriage is built on a foundation of love; but the bricks-and-mortar that rest on that foundation, such as communication, respect, and spending time together, take some effort.
    i agree!

I think that one element working successfully with our marriage is that of having a common source for conflict resolution. The bible and it's teachings on marriage.

Those who are interested might look at: Ephesians: 5:22 - 33, Col: 3:19, 1 Pet 3:1 - 7 Some of my most loved scriptures.
    I believe love is so many of the things listed above and even more. For example, when the bible says a man must love his wife, it means:

He should sacrifice for her, listen to her concerns, take care of her, be sensitive to her needs and hurts.

BTW, many people think that a woman's submission is a act of weakness. That is not at all true as many on here will know, particularly one person who has positively referred to submission a couple of times recently.
    Be responsible with little so that you can be trusted with much!!

Banned
    I strongly agree! To build a good marriage, number one factor would be a good communication between the couple. I highly appreciated everything listed. Thanks for sharing this thoughts.

link removed by order of the management, oh you've already been banned

Banned
    I strongly agree! To build a good marriage, number one factor would be a good communication between the couple. I highly appreciated everything listed. Thanks for sharing this thoughts.

Banned

Wink

on a lighter note i have this sign in my kitchen

1 never both be angry at the same time
    2 never yell at each other unless the house in on fire
    3 if one of you has to win an argument ,let it me your mate
    4 if you have to criticize ,do it lovingly
    5 never bring up mistakes of the past
    6 neglect the whole world rather than each other
    7 never go to sleep with an argument unsettled
    8 at least once every day try to say one kind or complimentary thing to your lifes partner
    9 when you have done something wrong ,be ready to ask for forgiveness
    10 it takes two to make a quarrel ,and the one in the wrong is the one that does the most talking

For a man it's quite simple. Always remember Rule No 1. The wife is always right.
    It is also imortant to remember Rule No 2, which states that, in the event that the wife is wrong, irrefutably wrong and proved to be so absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt; refer to Rule No 1 which takes precedence over all other rules or events that appear to contradict Rule No 1

Iain.

What makes a good marriage?

Young fit wife!!!

I agree too!!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by iainbusby View Post
    for a man it's quite simple. Always remember rule no 1. the wife is always right.
    it is also imortant to remember rule no 2, which states that, in the event that the wife is wrong, irrefutably wrong and proved to be so absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt; refer to rule no 1 which takes precedence over all other rules or events that appear to contradict rule no 1 :erm::erm::erm:

Iain.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gavanddal View Post
    What makes a good marriage?

Young fit wife!!!
    young fit wealthy wife

i've got her working on the wealthy part thou

Brits husband must be UNDERSTANDING and never say NO for FINANCIAL HELP to wife's family....always remember its better to GIVE than to RECEIVE

young fit wealthy beautiful and intelligent wife
    " The people who mean something to your life are not rated "the best" don't have the most money, haven't won the greatest prizes....
    They are the ones who care about you, take care of you, those who, no matter what, stay close by... "

Quote Originally Posted by itsme_iye View Post
    young fit wealthy beautiful and intelligent wife

i don't think a woman like that exists

to help each other thru the good and bad times

There is a woman ( or rather women) of those qualities Joebloggs. She has a loving heart, humble and understanding. I know one......

Quote Originally Posted by flomike View Post
    Brits husband must be UNDERSTANDING and never say NO for FINANCIAL HELP to wife's family....always remember its better to GIVE than to RECEIVE

....Easily said by someone doing the receiving.

What about if the husbands family need financial help? Can't be all one-sided can it?

Quote Originally Posted by flomike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavanddal View Post
    ....Easily said by someone doing the receiving.

What about if the husbands family need financial help? Can't be all one-sided can it?

good point

Good marriage:
    should weigh things in perspective!!!
    make some compromises
    listen & learn

Quote Originally Posted by Piamed View Post
    I think that one element working successfully with our marriage is that of having a common source for conflict resolution. The bible and it's teachings on marriage.

Those who are interested might look at: Ephesians: 5:22 - 33, Col: 3:19, 1 Pet 3:1 - 7 Some of my most loved scriptures.
    I believe love is so many of the things listed above and even more. For example, when the bible says a man must love his wife, it means:

He should sacrifice for her, listen to her concerns, take care of her, be sensitive to her needs and hurts.

BTW, many people think that a woman's submission is a act of weakness. That is not at all true as many on here will know, particularly one person who has positively referred to submission a couple of times recently.
    I agree!
    Husband is the head of the family
    wife submit to your husband
    it was hard sometimes, specially in English women ways
    but
    if you follow the scriptures
    Blessing will comes!
    to you & your family
    "Praise be to the LORD, for he showed his wonderful love to me when I was in a besieged city"...
    (Psalm 31:21)

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hearted View Post
    I agree!
    Husband is the head of the family
    wife submit to your husband
    it was hard sometimes, specially in English women ways
    but
    if you follow the scriptures
    Blessing will comes!
    to you & your family
    marriage is a partnership of equals

as for He should sacrifice for her, listen to her concerns, take care of her, be sensitive to her needs and hurts.

might have been true in the olden days, my misses isn't weak or submissive, she strong enough to stand up on her own feet

Having had one failed marriage myself, I firmly believe that the thing that was lacking was communication.
    If you can't talk about everything, good, bad and indifferent, then any love that is there is likely to fade over time as there's nothing there to stoke it.

I realise now that in my past relationship we BOTH took each other for granted. I'm not going to let that happen again, and even though my currnet relationship is long distance, and english not her first language, we communicate more now than I ever did with my ex.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piamed View Post

Amen to that I couldn't agree more I will check at those scriptures u referred. I'm actually looking for a full gospel church here in our area but so far haven't found one yet and my husband is still so busy at work so we cannot really get around more to check.
    I guess the best and most important component of a good marriage is still having God as the center of your marriage. Nothing beats that.
    The fear of god is the beginning of wisdom. If we have god's wisdom, we can never go wrong unless we deliberately choose to go the other way. After all, we were all given the freedom to choose, its up to us which way we want to go.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trader dave View Post
    on a lighter note i have this sign in my kitchen

1 never both be angry at the same time
    2 never yell at each other unless the house in on fire
    3 if one of you has to win an argument ,let it me your mate
    4 if you have to criticize ,do it lovingly
    5 never bring up mistakes of the past
    6 neglect the whole world rather than each other
    7 never go to sleep with an argument unsettled
    8 at least once every day try to say one kind or complimentary thing to your lifes partner
    9 when you have done something wrong ,be ready to ask for forgiveness
    10 it takes two to make a quarrel ,and the one in the wrong is the one that does the most talking
    Nice one, lol! I think i got hit by most of it. The guilty one
    And my husband was laughing more

Thread Information