Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Spouse of a British national

When a husband just got his passport as a newly naturalized British, can a wife apply for naturalization right after? She is over 3 years here now and had her ILR for over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by nparvus1202 View Post
    When a husband just got his passport as a newly naturalized British, can a wife apply for naturalization right after? She is over 3 years here now and had her ILR for over a year.
    I don't see any reason why not. It should be fine.

Best Wishes

yes i think so to

use the Nationality Checking Service (NCS) so you don't waste your money

Respected Member
    Thanks. NCS it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post

yes and i'm finally sending the misses citizenship app off b4 the end of the month, just waiting til next week, so she has worked for her bosses at work for 3yrs, so can use them as referees.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay&Zobel View Post
    WHa!! Wha!!! ******* Another increase? Bechabygollywow! I need to get the NCS schedule before the end of the month.

Banned
    WHa!! Wha!!! ******* Another increase? Bechabygollywow! I need to get the NCS schedule before the end of the month.

That is what I call easy pickings....

They have a captive audience, so they can charge what they want.

What gets me is the thought if British citizenship is not compulsory why go ahead with it...???

Respected Member
    Isn't NCS another £40 or so? And that's assuming you can get an appointment by the end of the month.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    What gets me is the thought if British citizenship is not compulsory why go ahead with it...???
    This has been mentioned on here a few times before.

From my point of view the advantages are ease of travelling (especially europe/US) and if ever we choose to move to the Philippines my wife can always return to the UK at any point in the future with or without me. I don't think my wife sees the ability to vote as an advantage.

The reasons for doing it as soon as possible is I don't believe it will ever get cheaper or easier in the future.

That is what I call easy pickings....

They have a captive audience, so they can charge what they want.

What gets me is the thought if British citizenship is not compulsory why go ahead with it...???:Erm:

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    This has been mentioned on here a few times before.

From my point of view the advantages are ease of travelling (especially europe/US) and if ever we choose to move to the Philippines my wife can always return to the UK at any point in the future with or without me. I don't think my wife sees the ability to vote as an advantage.

The reasons for doing it as soon as possible is I don't believe it will ever get cheaper or easier in the future.

True...
    Plus... Filipina wife need not to queue in the ROW Immigration Control at the Airport lol...

She can freely travel Europe (which requires Schngen Visa), America, Middle East, Asia, Oceania, Australia... (that needs Visa to travel)

Returning to the UK from PI - Philippine Passport Holders will still need to pay Philippine Travel Tax and other Airport Taxes...

British Passport will be a great saving, come to think of it

Respected Member
    Isn't NCS another £40 or so? And that's assuming you can get an appointment by the end of the month.

I will call each and every NCS around Nottingham and try to get schedule before the increase. Surely I can get one.

Respected Member
    I will call each and every NCS around Nottingham and try to get schedule before the increase. Surely I can get one.
    It depends how busy they are (it's not like there is one in every town/city). Also I guess you won't be the only one trying to beat the increase.

Respected Member
    Alright if I do it this way, I will send all my originals and copies and application forms to the HO, or wherever the office is, will that be better? As for spouse, I will send original marriage contract, birth certificate of the kids, passports with ILR, ESOL test and my original British passport plus of course all with be photocopied. Any other documents? This will be as a last resort if I cannot get the schedule on time.

Respected Member
    Alright if I do it this way, I will send all my originals and copies and application forms to the HO, or wherever the office is, will that be better? As for spouse, I will send original marriage contract, birth certificate of the kids, passports with ILR, ESOL test and my original British passport plus of course all with be photocopied. Any other documents? This will be as a last resort if I cannot get the schedule on time.
    Documents sound fine (do you need though your children's birth certificates?) - can't remember though having to send photocopies.

One thing to remember if you don't use NCS it might be several months or more before you get your passports back.

Respected Member
    Documents sound fine (do you need though your children's birth certificates?) - can't remember though having to send photocopies.

One thing to remember if you don't use NCS it might be several months or more before you get your passports back.
    It's alright, I wont be traveling this year anyway. But as I said, last resort. O I forgot, the most important of all £££££ FEES.

[SIZE=4]

as darren has already said, the reasons why i want it for the misses is, her filipino one has expired and in a few years time, we hope to go and live in the fils for a year or so then come back to the uk for a few years and keep doing this, until we move there for good.

many people have said that using ncs their app seems to have been processed quicker, also you get your passport back. (my wife will need it for her next exam)

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    as darren has already said, the reasons why i want it for the misses is, her filipino one has expired and in a few years time, we hope to go and live in the fils for a year or so then come back to the uk for a few years and keep doing this, until we move there for good.

many people have said that using ncs their app seems to have been processed quicker, also you get your passport back. (my wife will need it for her next exam)
    Seen many thoughts around this and the conclusion seems to be that NCS applications on average get processed quicker than non-NCS applications because there are likely to be less issues with the applications.

But assuming there are no issues with your application it doesn't matter if you use NCS or not.

Respected Member
    And another question, can the children with less than 3 years in UK apply together with the mother for British citizenship? Our eldest which is now 10 arrives Dec 2006 over a year after my wife arrives. Our second is fine as she was born here. Form AN for audlt, what form is for the child? AN aswell?

Respected Member
    Anyone applied for their children's citizenship that were not born in the UK? Any info?

Anyone applied for their children's citizenship that were not born in the UK? Any info?
    Children under 18 cannot apply for Naturalisation, but might be able to apply for Registration as British. Once granted there is little difference between the two, for example children applying for Registration do not need to pass the Life in the UK Citizenship test.

But if born outside the UK they will need to wait for a parent to apply for Naturalisation.

Children under 18 cannot apply for Naturalisation, but might be able to apply for Registration as British. Once granted there is little difference between the two, for example children applying for Registration do not need to pass the Life in the UK Citizenship test.

But if born outside the UK they will need to wait for a parent to apply for Naturalisation.

Hi Joe,
    I was under the impression that children under the age of 18 could not make an application for naturalisation in their own right, but could be included in an application submitted by a parent or the parents of that child. Do you know if this is correct?

Cheers,

Iain.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    Hi Joe,
    I was under the impression that children under the age of 18 could not make an application for naturalisation in their own right, but could be included in an application submitted by a parent or the parents of that child. Do you know if this is correct?

Cheers,

Iain.
    about registration - For child registration applications, if the child (when the application is made) is 13 or more then they need to have been in the UK for at least two years, but even that is not a requirement if the child is younger.

yes i think under 18yr olds can not, as I've said in my previous post, yes i think you can include your step daughters app with your wifes, but i'm pretty sure your step daughter will be applying for registration at a fee of £400 not citizenship !.

give ukba a call to check,

Respected Member
    How about the form, are they all the same form AN?

no i don't think so.. form MN1 i think is the one for a child .

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ationality/mn1

Child born abroad to parents who are applying for British citizenship Section 3 (1)
    application.
    Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for one or
    more children who are not automatically British at birth (see “Automatic acquisition of
    British citizenship” above) to be registered as British citizens as part of a “family
    application”.
    Children in this category will be considered at the Home Secretary’s discretion and will
    usually be registered only if both the parents are granted or already hold British
    citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is settled in the UK

i think if you use NCS for your wife and child at the same time, it would be a bit cheaper.

but check with UKBA about the forms

yes i think so to

use the Nationality Checking Service (NCS) so you don't waste your money
    I used NCS when I submitted my naturalization application (atleast if something wrong I have someone to blame bec that's their purpose to check if my docs are correct and my application form for £45 fee). I submitted mine last Feb 17 and I received the HO acknowlegement letter after 2 weeks saying that they got the money already and last friday I had a phone call from Home Office Liverpool to confirm something about my middle name for my naturalization certificate and I asked if my application is okay and he said he is looking through it and seems no prob and I ask again if how long I will wait..he said may be in two weeks time I might receive a letter from them....not sure if it is the naturalization certificate? I know that the waiting time is 3-7 months the most.

about registration - For child registration applications, if the child (when the application is made) is 13 or more then they need to have been in the UK for at least two years, but even that is not a requirement if the child is younger.

yes i think under 18yr olds can not, as I've said in my previous post, yes i think you can include your step daughters app with your wifes, but i'm pretty sure your step daughter will be applying for registration at a fee of £400 not citizenship !.

give ukba a call to check,
    I will, Cheers Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    I will, Cheers Joe.
    your step daughter can go to the ceremony with your wife, but doesn't have to take a oath and i believe she gets a certificate to

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flomike View Post
    I used NCS when I submitted my naturalization application (atleast if something wrong I have someone to blame bec that's their purpose to check if my docs are correct and my application form for £45 fee). I submitted mine last Feb 17 and I received the HO acknowlegement letter after 2 weeks saying that they got the money already and last friday I had a phone call from Home Office Liverpool to confirm something about my middle name for my naturalization certificate and I asked if my application is okay and he said he is looking through it and seems no prob and I ask again if how long I will wait..he said may be in two weeks time I might receive a letter from them....not sure if it is the naturalization certificate? I know that the waiting time is 3-7 months the most.
    It won't be a naturalisation certificate that they will send you anyway. It will be a letter asking you to phone up and arrange your citizenship ceremony. You don't actually become British until you attend the ceremony where your receive your naturalisation certificate.

Thread Information