Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Unhappy For NVQ Student visa applicants

NVQ Bottleneck at British Embassy Manila Visa Processing Agents VFS Global

12 February 2009

VFS Global, the visa processing agency for the British Embassy in Manila has released a statement to all NVQ students warning them that applications will only be accepted with an appointment - an appointment they are unable to give you until 27 March 2009.

"Student NVQ's" have been given its own visa category by VFS Global, which is described as an "Official Partner of the Home Office UK Border Agency.

The following notice (including grammatical errors) was recently posted on the VFS website:

"ATTENTION ALL NVQ STUDENTS

Submission of applications will only be accepted with an appointment. VFS will not accept any NVQ application without an appointment. There will be designated appointments for those applying in this category. If an appointment as been booked outside of the designated slots, VFS will not be able to accept the submission of the application and you will be asked to rebook your appointment."

Student Visa applicants were complaining this morning that the earliest available appointment to submit paper documents on offer was 25 March - over six weeks away. By lunchtime, the earliest date had already changed to 27 March. And this is before Entry Clearance Officer will even look at the application.

The UK Visa's 'Guide to visa application centre processing times' (December 2008) states that Manila processes 249 student visas per month and deals with 94% of applications within 15 days and 100% within 30 days.

Some agents have complained that it is now taking over two months for the British Embassy in Manila, recently appointed as the 'regional hub' dealing with applications for Japan, Hong Kong and South Korea, to process a student visa.

The problem for students and colleges is that the visa should be processed and issued before the 'offer letter' start date expires. In such circumstances, ECO's in Manila normally refuse a visa, or Entry Clearance, rather than request a revised offer letter.

Some NVQ colleges, such as Majestic College in London, have flexible start dates where students can join an intake up to four times a month. Despite this, Majestic College Centre Manager, Cynthia Barker says her students and agen ts are worried about the bottleneck at VFS and have already been calling the college.

"Students are worried that the six week delay for an appointment may take them into the new points based system visa process under tier 4.

"But our legal advisers feel that as long as applicants have lodged their VAF visa applications on-line before the end of March, the 'application date' should be set before tier 2 kicks in."

Cynthia added that Majestic College operates a "rolling programme" and their offer letter states that "students can reserve a place at a later date".

At the AGM of ARIA (Association of Regulated Immigration Advisers) this week one college owner described Entry Clearance Officers as the "business prevention unit", and said their negative attitudes and treatment of visa applicants were driving students into the hands of Australia, Canada and the US.

The UK Border Agency has today proposed sharp increases for visa fees including a 50% hike in student visa charges.
    It is estimated that overseas students are worth £8 billion to the UK economy.

For the latest immigration news visit http://www.immigrationmatters.co.uk/

If you need any immigration advice or help with a Visa (VAF) or an appeal against a refusal please email us at: info@immigrationmatters.co.uk

See also:

JCWI Press Release

British Embassy Manila becomes regional hub

Immigration Matters

Clarendon House
    Shenley Road
    Borehamwood, Herts
    WD6 1AG
    GB
    ++++++++

Goodluck, to all these changes

Read this on my email, am still awaiting the result for my visa, been more than 6 weeks and no news yet, just heads up to those who are planning to apply for a student visa.....

Thanks for this Info....

no problem, ure welcome

how to apply

hey guys... am new here in the forum. my brother is planning to apply for NVQ soon and we want to know what to expect. hope you can help.

first step is to set an appointment, right? do you get interviewed right away when you go on the date of appointment? what does the embassy ask during the interview? are there "no-no's" that you need to take note of, to increase chances of getting approved?

thanks in advance. :-)

I believe the appointment is to pass the requirements/documents, interview by the british embassy will follow when needed and you will be informed about it. the documents needed is actually listed on the vfs website, and i guess you may have heard that come end of march, it will be point system now. during my time last dec, some of the documents i passed includes, my tor/diploma, the certificate of enrollment from the school of UK,accredited by DIUS,letter/affidavit of support from my sponsor,ITR of my sponsor,bank statements and bank certificates,business permit,dti permit,the letter from my school's accomodation, and of course the student visa application permit and my passport.
    if you have further questions go to this website http://www.vfs-uk-ph.com/applying.aspx

Goodluck, i hope this helps

http://vfs-uk-ph.com/checklist.aspx

this is the website for the requirements/checklist in applying for student visa

wow super thanks!!! this is really helpful. :-) will update you as soon as we get an appointment. btw, are you travelling to the UK soon?

hi not yet, am actually waiting for the result still and it has been more than 6 weeks now, i lodge my docs last dec 22,2008 and its almost march no result yet so still crosiing fingers, hoping for the best and praying!
    Goodluck to you always check the vfs websites for the updates they usually announce news and updates for applicants.

many thanks for the info godbless u

Newbie (Restricted Access)

Star Me Up!

hello can u guys have info how and where to apply for an NVQ for UK? Thanks..

hello there!!! any news on ur application?
    thanks

no result yet pinky...today is the 55th working day..i hope anytime soon praying for it...God Bless

hi dyan..how are u? hope all is well....i know in God's time, the long wait will be over soon...take care and Godbless!!!!!

yeah... don't worry. am sure it's on it's way! :-) guys, have a new question. i filed my online application last march 19 and paid the visa fee on the same day. when i tried booking an appointment the day after, VFS website said there are no more available dates. but the site only showed calendar for march. we've been trying to call their hotline and we can't seem to get through using the smart number. do you think the application is still valid even if i have no set appointment yet? please help...

from what i know

is your course NVQ? from what i know for nvq they are only accepting 10 applicants a day for the appointment.maybe the next appointment will be after march...try to phone them again or email them as well if that is the case since you already paid, if you are not nvq, you can go walk in at vfs office.

yes i am applying for NVQ. thanks a lot for the reply. appreciate this very much. don't worry we'll pray for you too.

we've been trying to call the hotline since yesterday. we also emailed them twice. am still waiting for feedback. thanks for this. so does that mean there's a chance that i can still get an interview in april? i was told that the cut-off for the points-based was yesterday. am still hoping that my march 19 application is valid... :-O

no problem

the appointment is to pass the documents to start the processing of your papers...interview will follow if needed, if they have questions on your documents.the office is in phil axa life in makati 25th floor if you are near there you can ask regarding your application, kse you paid already na. am not sure if there is a time frame for your payment..usually valid for 45 days only, am not sure....try and try again...

that's a good idea... will do that if i still can't get through the hotline. thanks a lot dianne. :-)

:)

that's alright. thank u as well, well regarding email, they reply naman pero matgal nga lang ehehe, i emailed them weeks ago and replied after 2 weeks they even phoned me because am a bit makulit asking for the result, but anyways its ok to go there for questions as well, while i was in makati area before i lodge my documents went there to ask questions and the people there were nice enough to entertain my questions.

what did VFS tell you when they called? did they tell you why it's taking so long for your application to get through? how many more days did they tell you to wait?

they called me 3 weeks ago and they are processing end of november applicants. nvq student applicants are taking long to be processed because a lot of people applied for that kind of visa, overload, so they got stict and now they can only accept 10 nvq student visa applicants a day....one more week or two, i guess for me. since i lodged my docs last dec 22, 2008..so goodluck

wow! end of november??? that's a three-month lag time right there. so if i get an appointment in april, my application will be processed around july-august! :-O thanks again... :-)

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjaes View Post
    wow! end of november??? that's a three-month lag time right there. so if i get an appointment in april, my application will be processed around july-august! :-O thanks again... :-)
    Assuming you get an appointment in April. Supposedly they have been restricting the number of NVQ applicants to 10 per day now for the last month (so only ~200 processed in the last month?), and I've seen figures of maybe 4000 per month normally so I guess there are lots of applicants in your position.

hey guys was able to book an appointment today for march 30. the VFS hotline said slots opened just this morning. thanks for the help.

just wanted to ask you what you normally put in the "affidavit of support" from sponsor? do i really need to submit one or the requirements from my sponsor will do? thanks in advance!

:)

the affidavit of support is a notarized document assuring the embassy that the sponsor will support the student on all the finances needed, usually it will tell the bank statements, and bank certificates as proofs of the available funds..you need to atleast have 6 mos of bank statements and bank certificate, if the sponsor is a business man, need to provide the Income tax return, business permit, financial statements, dti, mayor's permit, if working, need to get the employment certificate.
    usually the documents needed will depend on the sponsors status, so hope this helps, and goodluck

how come the affidavit of support is not listed in the student visa application checklist? is this really necessary? i have all the needed documents (all are in transit from UK as we speak) except the this. am starting to worry... is that something i can do here? or my sponsor will have to do it from where she is? she's my mother btw...

I am actually not sure but included on my documents is the affidavit of support attesting that my sponsor will fund my studies in UK, it is signed by my sponsor and notarized by a lawyer.

i think the list is just a guideline of what needs to be pass. but it is your call, we think that the affidavit of support will be a good indication that my sponsor is dead serious in supporting my studies, since she signed on it and was notarized by a lawyer. perhaps you can ask the vfs as well for that.

here's the list of my docs that i passed last december 22, 2008

> the student visa application form with the picture on it
    > affidavit of support/notarized
    > business/dti permit (my sponsor has a business here in Philippines)
    > Income tax return for 2007 (since i pass it on 2008)
    > financial statements
    > mayor's permit
    > certificate of enrollment from the school am set to study in UK
    > reciept of where am staying/dorm in UK
    > bank statements from the last 6 mos
    > bank certificates
    > Transcript of Records
    > Diploma
    > Certificates of trainings
    > birth certificate
    > NBI

> i hope this list helps, make sure your documents are photocopied, they need at least 1 set of photocopy for each of the documents.
    You will need to submit the original copy....

Hope this list helps, if you have more questions, feel free...you can ym me as well..ym id is indicated on my profile thanks, God Bless

thanks for this, dyan! :-) really helpful! Also received an email from a relative in UK. Might be relevant to share here...

IMMIGRATION MATTERS:

Changes to Immigration Rules announced by UK Border Agency

16 March 2009

The UK border Agency has published changes to the Immigration Rules on 9 March, which will take effect on 31 March.
    The changes will introduce the new Tier 4 route for students, as well as changing the academic and financial requirements of the Tier 1 for highly skilled workers.
    The UK's points-based system will be expanded at the end of March to include adult and child students, while highly skilled workers from outside Europe will have to meet stricter criteria to come work in Britain.
    The change to the Tier 1 follows the Home Secretary's announcement on 22 February on new measures to "raise the bar" for foreign workers wishing to enter the United Kingdom.
    In a written ministerial statement, Immigration Minister Phil Woolas said:
    "We recognise the contribution that international students make to the UK economy and the benefits that encouraging overseas students brings in terms of diffusing British values and fostering a positive view of the UK overseas.

"However, the new system will tighten controls over students who are applying for courses with work placements, ensuring they are not used as a way to gain employment."
    The new system will also attempt to prevent adult students studying low level courses for long periods of time.

If you have a pending student visa application or have completed you VAF online, the application should be considered under the current rules, not Tier 4.
    For the latest immigration news visit http://www.immigrationmatters.co.uk

If you need any immigration advice or help with Sponsorship or Work Permits, Visa or an appeal against a refusal please email us at: info@immigrationmatters.co.uk
    Other stories this week
    Tier 4 Pushing Ahead Despite problems - How to get round the VFS Global Backlog in Manila
    Immigration Matters New Look Website

Immigration Matters

Clarendon House
    Shenley Road
    Borehamwood, Herts
    WD6 1AG
    GB

ty, just update us with your application God Bless

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information