Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Lightbulb Indefinite Leave to Remain & British Citizenship

I am a British national and last year, my filipina wife and I got married. She is a nurse and has been working in the UK for almost 5 years. She recently gave birth to our son, so now we are trying to sort out citizenship, etc.

My question is:
    Since she is married to me, can my wife just apply for British Citizenship without having first attained Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Her work permit is due to expire at the end of March, so if she were not married, she would shortly be applying for ILR. She has passed the "Life in the UK" test.

I would also like to avoid the extortionate costs. £750 for ILR and £655 for citizenship is a disgrace! I will be writing to my MP regarding this issue.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesey View Post
    I am a British national and last year, my filipina wife and I got married. She is a nurse and has been working in the UK for almost 5 years. She recently gave birth to our son, so now we are trying to sort out citizenship, etc.

My question is:
    Since she is married to me, can my wife just apply for British Citizenship without having first attained Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Her work permit is due to expire at the end of March, so if she were not married, she would shortly be applying for ILR. She has passed the "Life in the UK" test.
    I'm afraid she must apply ILR before British Citizenship.

I would also like to avoid the extortionate costs. £750 for ILR and £655 for citizenship is a disgrace! I will be writing to my MP regarding this issue.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.
    I think they increased the fees to discourage people from applying this visa and citizenship or they take an advantage?

I know how you feel but you're not alone!
    Not an expert, I only try to help.

Ladyj is right Steve

I am about to apply for my ILr as well and then citizenship late this year hopefully if nothing change with the rule so cost us a lot I am married to british too with our 11 month old and im pregnant again

Goodluck to your wife's ILR application

Hi Jamesey

[QUOTE]I would also like to avoid the extortionate costs. £750 for ILR and £655 for citizenship is a disgrace! I will be writing to my MP regarding this issue. /QUOTE]

I hear what you saying, but do you hear what they are saying "

I don't really think writing to your MP or reklamo on your part is going to cut alot of ice with Border and Immigration agency.

We have all had to go through this and bite the bullet as our good freind Iain Busby says, its a bummer yes, but you have to stick your hand in your pocket and come up with the readies, ask anyone else on here, we've all had to at some point pay these extortionate fees.

You said. your wife is on a work permit, and you got married, her status needs to be looked at then.

I suggest you make the application for Indefinite leave to remain asap, and pay the £750.00 or near therein and get on with it.

Once indefinite leave to remain has been granted, 5 years, surely she has applied already ? she would be entitled on the basis of 5 years as a working resident, if her work permit is renewed.

As your wife, she should be able to apply for British citizenship on the basis of a reduced term, you will need to check the status of your particular case with UK Border and Immigration.

Because it maybe that your case is slightly different to the run of the mill time constraints on those subject to immigration control.

But as for the fees ! its tough titty I am afraid.

if that's all you have to pay, think yourself lucky, its cost me more than £4,000 in visa fees for the wife and kids

It won't help, unless the MP is willing to use his budget etc to pay for you.
    The other option is to get the employer to pay for ILR and i know many who did that.

Cheers

Respected Member
    Thanks for all of the useful replies. I have spoken to the UK Border Agency today, and they confirmed that my wife does need to have ILR before she applies for citizenship.

She already has the application forms, etc, but they can't be sent in until 1 month before her work permit expires in April.

I realise that my MP isn't going to waive the fee or arrange a discount, but I feel that I must formally register my opposition. Immigration is one of those topics that rarely gets reported in a balanced manner, with the likes of the Daily Mail scaremongering at every opportunity. The authorities need to know the affect that these charges have on ordinary, hard-working people!

Thanks for all of the useful replies. I have spoken to the UK Border Agency today, and they confirmed that my wife does need to have ILR before she applies for citizenship.

She already has the application forms, etc, but they can't be sent in until 1 month before her work permit expires in April.

I realise that my MP isn't going to waive the fee or arrange a discount, but I feel that I must formally register my opposition. Immigration is one of those topics that rarely gets reported in a balanced manner, with the likes of the Daily Mail scaremongering at every opportunity. The authorities need to know the affect that these charges have on ordinary, hard-working people!
    I know how you feel Jamesey.

I also want to tell you that the problem doesn't end after applying citizenship for your wife. After she received her British Citizenship and apply for british passport, she'll need to re-acquire her Filipino Citizenship again to make her dual citizenship. So prepare yourself for more fees in the future
    Not an expert, I only try to help.

Thread Information