Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Bank Accounts in Manila and UK

Bank Accounts

My Fiance' is due to arrive here in April, assuming our Visa is approved. She has a bank account in Manila that her job salary is currently paid into, but I suggested that she open a new account that she can use in UK. What advice / suggestions do you have ?

Also, she has an HSBC Credit card and I suggested to her that she used that to pay the airfairs, and I will then pay off the balance. This will give her protection in the event of any problems with the airline. I also said she sould carry the credit card when she travels for emergencies only.

Any advice ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmontboy View Post
    Bank Accounts

My Fiance' is due to arrive here in April, assuming our Visa is approved. She has a bank account in Manila that her job salary is currently paid into, but I suggested that she open a new account that she can use in UK. What advice / suggestions do you have ?

Also, she has an HSBC Credit card and I suggested to her that she used that to pay the airfairs, and I will then pay off the balance. This will give her protection in the event of any problems with the airline. I also said she sould carry the credit card when she travels for emergencies only.

Any advice ?

She can leave her bank card to her nearest and dearest family member. They can use it when your wifey send them money and no need to open an account for them. If they have their account already, better to close her account.

Keep using Hsbc easy (or was a few years back) to open an account with them.

Best to pay for the air fare with a credit card she holds as they can ask for it although rarely happens.

Surely its worth keeping an account open if you can and a small amount of money in it as you never know when you may need an account when visting or if you move over there in the future. As you never know. Surely would save a lot of hassle already having a account for x years than having to open one in the future? Although name change may cause issues but im sure with proof of id can soon be changed?
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Respected Member
    Bank Accounts

Any advice ?
    Are you sure this is actually true? Do credit cards issued in the Philippines offer the same protection as credit cards issued in the UK?

Plus do you realise that if you purchase flights through a travel agency you wouldn't necessarily have any protection if you bought them with a UK credit card anyway? As Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 wouldn't cover you so it would depend on the terms and conditions of the specific credit card you used.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    Are you sure this is actually true? Do credit cards issued in the Philippines offer the same protection as credit cards issued in the UK?

Plus do you realise that if you purchase flights through a travel agency you wouldn't necessarily have any protection if you bought them with a UK credit card anyway? As Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 wouldn't cover you so it would depend on the terms and conditions of the specific credit card you used.
    This may well be the case, but I'm unable to book her flights with a UK Credit Card, because they will require to swipe the card at the chek in desk (assuming its an E-ticket)

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    This may well be the case, but I'm unable to book her flights with a UK Credit Card, because they will require to swipe the card at the chek in desk (assuming its an E-ticket)

I paid for the flight of my friend's finacee using my UK based Visa card for a returm flight from MNL to BKK. She needed a copy of the card and a copy of my passport. They checked the copěes at the check-in.

Thread Information