Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Amending the Passport of a Filipino Minor

I just thought I'd post this info on here in case anyone here has plans regarding this sort of thing in the future. We recently changed my step-daughters name by deed poll, which is something my wife has been urging me to do for quite a while now. We found a site online and made the initial application, then filled in the form they sent us.

The company we chose do a legal copy and archive service which we paid for and we also paid for extra legal copies so that we could send them to the Child Benefit and Working Tax Credit Departments. We also gave copies to her school, doctor, dentist etc. So far so good.......

The next step, as we saw it, was to apply to the Philippines Embassy in London to have her passport amended, so I went online and downloaded the only available Passport Ammendment form on their website. After reading the form I was convinced there must be a different form available for ammending the passport of a minor because the one that I downloaded asked questions such as, "married surname" and married to, so I sent an email to the Philippine Embassy to try to clarify the situation.

After returning from my lunchbreak, I found an email from a lady at the phils embassy saying she had tried to call me and could I please call her back which I did. She told me that a change of name by deed poll in the UK is not recognised in Philippines and that the only way we could amend her passport was to hire a lawyer in phils and apply over there for a court order to have her birth certificate amended, which would then make it possible to have her passport amended.

This leaves us in a very strange predicament as we've already had her name changed with regard to just about every official department we could think of in the UK, but for the time being, as far as travel goes, she will have to use her old name because that's what on her passport. I haven't really managed to think through all of the implications of doing this, or whether there might be unforseen complications waiting for us if and when we try to travel abroad.

If any of the members on here can think of any complications that may arise, please let me know.

Cheers,

Iain.

My husband who is now 30 yrs old changed his surname using deedpoll from filipino surname to british stepdad's surname about 5 years ago. Since then my husband uses his brit passport to travel and let his old Filipino passport expired.

I guess if my husband wants to use his Filipino passport in the future ie:enter Phils, he will just stay with the same/old surname.
    Not an expert, I only try to help.

[quote=LadyJ;111142]My husband who is now 30 yrs old changed his surname using deedpoll from filipino surname to british stepdad's surname about 5 years ago. Since then my husband uses his brit passport to travel and let his old Filipino passport expired.

I guess if my husband wants to use his Filipino passport in the future ie:enter Phils, he will just stay with the same/old surname.[/quote

My wife and step-daughter will be eligible to apply for British citizenship at the end of September this year and we will then apply for British passports for them both. In the case of my step-daughter, we will of course use her new name on the passport application.

The problem is that we were hoping to have a holiday somewhere in Europe before then and I'm a bit worried about it because I know that any flight ticket for her will have to have the same name as her passport and I don't know if this will conflict with any other paperwork we may encounter.

The one thing I have thought about is holiday insurance which, if (god forbid) we had to make a claim on her behalf might get complicated because we have had her medical card and records changed to her new name.

Iain.

Ian

All I can say now is goodluck to you & family and hope you find all the answers you need. If you did share it to me

And hey! I think your picture with your wife (your avatar) is really cute..Its so sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJ View Post
    Ian

All I can say now is goodluck to you & family and hope you find all the answers you need. If you did share it to me

And hey! I think your picture with your wife (your avatar) is really cute..Its so sweet!
    Thank's LadyJ.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    This leaves us in a very strange predicament as we've already had her name changed with regard to just about every official department we could think of in the UK, but for the time being, as far as travel goes, she will have to use her old name because that's what on her passport. I haven't really managed to think through all of the implications of doing this, or whether there might be unforseen complications waiting for us if and when we try to travel abroad.

If any of the members on here can think of any complications that may arise, please let me know.

Cheers,

Iain.
    i didn't know that you can changed someone's identity in UK without any hassle unlike in Phils it takes a long time (may be it depends how much you are willing to pay?) A friend of mine has a love child with a Brit but they got separated b4 she gave brith so the baby's name is her name (unfortunately the baby is not Brit citizen). She brought the baby in the Phils so she can work here at the same time got married with her filipino BF. His new husband wants to adppt the child so he can use his name and to bring here again in UK. But its a long process its like getting an annulment and cost a lot of money.

Anyway, as the Phil embassy said to you that in Phil law they don't recognized the deed poll in UK, may be in UK she got her new identity but once she's outside UK she is known what her previous name is and might create confusion and problem. I hope you can sort it out ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewiz View Post
    i didn't know that you can changed someone's identity in UK without any hassle unlike in Phils it takes a long time (may be it depends how much you are willing to pay?) A friend of mine has a love child with a Brit but they got separated b4 she gave brith so the baby's name is her name (unfortunately the baby is not Brit citizen). She brought the baby in the Phils so she can work here at the same time got married with her filipino BF. His new husband wants to adppt the child so he can use his name and to bring here again in UK. But its a long process its like getting an annulment and cost a lot of money.

Anyway, as the Phil embassy said to you that in Phil law they don't recognized the deed poll in UK, may be in UK she got her new identity but once she's outside UK she is known what her previous name is and might create confusion and problem. I hope you can sort it out ASAP.
    After looking into it further I have found out that the only way to do it is for me to adopt her in Phils. I have been told that if we went down that road, that when the process is complete, part of the paperwork we would receive would be a court order allowing her to use my surname and the Philippines embassy here in London say that with this court order they would ammend her passport.

Iain.

After looking into it further I have found out that the only way to do it is for me to adopt her in Phils. I have been told that if we went down that road, that when the process is complete, part of the paperwork we would receive would be a court order allowing her to use my surname and the Philippines embassy here in London say that with this court order they would ammend her passport.

Iain.
    That's a great news! that means more paperwork more money to spend and more waiting game..

Seriously, I have thought about it before but I wasn't that sure. I was right then

It's good though you found another piece of info you need.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJ View Post
    That's a great news! that means more paperwork more money to spend and more waiting game..

Seriously, I have thought about it before but I wasn't that sure. I was right then

It's good though you found another piece of info you need.
    I managed to make contact by email with an attorney in Cagayan De Oro and asked him how much he would charge to handle the adoption process for us. The greedy ba****d emailed me back and said he charges $100 for a consultaion and could I please send it to him via Western Union. . I only wanted him to give me a ballpark quote by email....... $100......

It's a long time since I had any dealings with a solicitor in the UK, so I have just google around a bit and I found that you can get an initial consultation with a solicitor in the UK for £75.
    Iain.

I managed to make contact by email with an attorney in Cagayan De Oro and asked him how much he would charge to handle the adoption process for us. The greedy ba****d emailed me back and said he charges $100 for a consultaion and could I please send it to him via Western Union. . I only wanted him to give me a ballpark quote by email....... $100......

It's a long time since I had any dealings with a solicitor in the UK, so I have just google around a bit and I found that you can get an initial consultation with a solicitor in the UK for £75.
    Iain.

Ian I have lost many words.. email him back and tell him to 'GET LOST'

Iain.

I just married my wife in the Philippines in January and am in the process of applying for settlement visa for her and my stedaughter. We also have our own daughter who has both a British and Filipino passport so fortunately she does not need a visa. My wifes passport is in her maiden name but my stepdaughters passport is in her fathers name as it is on her Filipino BC.

I enquired with the attorney in the Phil who handled our annulment case about what had to be done to change the surname on her BC. But like you I was told that the only practical way was for me to adopt her which if i did it in the Phil would take a very long time indeed!! She said better to adopt her in your own country so I left it at that. But as you are much further along the road then we are maybe it is worth a phone call to the Phil embassy asking that if you were to legally adopt your stepdaughter in the UK and not in the Phil then would that be recognised by the Phil authorities and would it then allow you to ammend the surname on her Fil BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenky View Post
    Iain.

I just married my wife in the Philippines in January and am in the process of applying for settlement visa for her and my stedaughter. We also have our own daughter who has both a British and Filipino passport so fortunately she does not need a visa. My wifes passport is in her maiden name but my stepdaughters passport is in her fathers name as it is on her Filipino BC.

I enquired with the attorney in the Phil who handled our annulment case about what had to be done to change the surname on her BC. But like you I was told that the only practical way was for me to adopt her which if i did it in the Phil would take a very long time indeed!! She said better to adopt her in your own country so I left it at that. But as you are much further along the road then we are maybe it is worth a phone call to the Phil embassy asking that if you were to legally adopt your stepdaughter in the UK and not in the Phil then would that be recognised by the Phil authorities and would it then allow you to ammend the surname on her Fil BC.
    I suppose it's worth a try, I'll give them a call.
    Iain.

Thread Information