Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy British citizenship will take 5 years now

Hi not sure but is this true that before we become british citizen regardless of what visas we got, its now 5 years required your living in UK before you apply for british citizenship

wow it takes longer and longer now, lucky for those who got their citizenship in just 3 years under spouse visas

ohhhh... good for them^^,

oooopppss luckily i read it again .....

all who got spouse visa still get extension after 2 years staying here in UK for their visa to become ILR/permanent resident visa in UK then after 12 months off the immigration control they can apply for british citizenship. Hooray for us

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggers0608 View Post

oooopppss luckily i read it again .....

all who got spouse visa still get extension after 2 years staying here in UK for their visa to become ILR/permanent resident visa in UK then after 12 months off the immigration control they can apply for british citizenship. Hooray for us
    Not sure where you are reading this from but there is a new bill going through the UK government at the moment that means that unless you meet the activity requirement (voluntary work?) it will take you 5 years of living in the UK to get British citizenship if married to a British citizen (8 years if you aren't married). Meeting the activity requirement will reduce the time by two years (ie back to 3 for anyone married to a British citizen).

No idea yet what the activity requirement is going to mean.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7829265.stm

the bill has a second reading on the 29th of jan, when will it become law and how will it effect people who have ilr ?

12 hrs community service over a year , not much, but still

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post

the bill has a second reading on the 29th of jan, when will it become law and how will it effect people who have ilr ?

12 hrs community service over a year , not much, but still
    Thought it had to go through the Houses of Lords next? (it's only going through the House of Commons at the moment).

12 hours isn't a lot, but I guess it depends how much you value your spare time, and what they have you doing for the 12 hours.

Banned

Hi not sure but is this true that before we become british citizen regardless of what visas we got, its now 5 years required your living in UK before you apply for british citizenship

wow it takes longer and longer now, lucky for those who got their citizenship in just 3 years under spouse visas
    I wish I got mine before it is being implemented I have only few months to wait to apply for citizenship

the community serive if 12 hours may not be a problem more important for most is how much will it cost?

Also will they make Nurses and others doing good for the comunity work even more hours? How crazy is that?

When skiming though i noticed there is the possibilty of a wavier for crown service possibly to allow for example armed forces members and those in the NHS to be fast tracked? The NHS if the new rules no good with a weak pound may mean a huge exdous of talent.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by pennybarry View Post

I wish I got mine before it is being implemented I have only few months to wait to apply for citizenship
    Hard to sy at the moment but talk of asseors to assess peoples claims and how well they are brits. May mean to get all the organsation in place may take a little while.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Hard to sy at the moment but talk of asseors to asses peoples claims and how well they are brits. May mean to get all the organsation in place may take a little while.
    Or it just means that applications will get processed a little bit slower whilst they sort it all out properly. The advantage they've got with British citizenship is no same day service and even now it takes a while (they claim 6 to 7 months) anyway.

cost will go up, thats certain, as you will be asked to pay into a special fund to ease public service pressures blamed on fluctuations in immigration.

this doesn't effect europeans in the uk, as far as i can tell, but get the europeans to pay to, no such thing as a free lunch

hello to all. I am ready to apply for my naturalization before end of the month finally. Getting a referee is not that easy as I thought bec some people are not willing like my GP bec she said she only knows me as a patient not personally well, as I only see her may be thrice in a year. My husband knows a few people who are qualified but of course again they don't know me personally they know me as his wife.

To those applying for naturalization soon, you have to be sure that the referees you are thinking will vouch you as some a bit hesitant to give their personal details even they know you already.

Anyway, I got my operations manager to be my referee as I am working there for 4 years now and a friend of ours who works as a public servant. I just want to ask if there's a new form for naturalization (spouse of brits citizen) what I have now is FORM AN October 2008 is that the right one, any help please? I hope this changes won't affect me when I submitted mine this month.

Good luck to us.

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    Or it just means that applications will get processed a little bit slower whilst they sort it all out properly. The advantage they've got with British citizenship is no same day service and even now it takes a while (they claim 6 to 7 months) anyway.
    True so either new job titles and same people or more people recruited and procedures with the community service.

Surprised not much fuss from various groups as the only people who do community service at the moment i belive are those that have broken the law.

True so either new job titles and same people or more people recruited and procedures with the community service.

Surprised not much fuss from various groups as the only people who do community service at the moment i belive are those that have broken the law.
    i think there are groups getting ready for a fight with the gov, mainly those on work permits, who came here and was told it would be 4yrs b4 they could get ilr, then its changed to 5, and now changes again.. i'm sure with the changes announced and the changes later in the year, there will be challenges in court.

What the is going on? It seems that the UK government is trying to clean up the mistake they made when they let these Indians/Pakistans/Polish remain in the UK. And now that these people's populations are growing like mushrooms, they can't stop or control it. They thought implementing new laws on Citizenship & Naturalization will do the trick. Why is it always the hardworking Filipinos have to suffer with this new policy? And, oohh , the cost is rising up again.
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

Actually right now, we dont really know whats going to happen or whats there planning next, as they keep changing the rules ans laws of immigration in a blink of an eye so lets just keep in track and keep inform

and don't forget to cross our fingers

Respected Member
    i think there are groups getting ready for a fight with the gov, mainly those on work permits, who came here and was told it would be 4yrs b4 they could get ilr, then its changed to 5, and now changes again.. i'm sure with the changes announced and the changes later in the year, there will be challenges in court.
    Really not sure they are going to get anywhere in court as the new rules just means it takes them slightly longer to get British Citizenship, and surely if they want British Citizenship it should mean they were planning to stay in the UK anyway. At best there might be some transitional arrangements for existing visa holders, but it won't help anyone newly coming into the country.

Quote Originally Posted by singkit View Post
    What the is going on? It seems that the UK government is trying to clean up the mistake they made when they let these Indians/Pakistans/Polish remain in the UK. And now that these people's populations are growing like mushrooms, they can't stop or control it. They thought implementing new laws on Citizenship & Naturalization will do the trick. Why is it always the hardworking Filipinos have to suffer with this new policy? And, oohh , the cost is rising up again.
    The only mistake the Government has made is not implementing tighter rules long ago. Some of the current rules are a bit silly to say the least - eg if someone can manage to stay here for 10 years on students visa they can obtain ILR.

Actually right now, we dont really know whats going to happen or whats there planning next, as they keep changing the rules ans laws of immigration in a blink of an eye so lets just keep in track and keep inform

and don't forget to cross our fingers
    You can read the proposed rules to see what the government is planning. In my opinion they might be tweaked slightly, but I can't see any major changes being done to them.

The only mistake the Government has made is not implementing tighter rules long ago. Some of the current rules are a bit silly to say the least - eg if someone can manage to stay here for 10 years on students visa they can obtain ILR.

that is crazy, how can anyone afford to pay int fees for 10yrs ? many are not at uni, but working full time, and how can you study for 10yrs ?

a good one is the 14yr rule, where if you manage to overstay for 14yrs or a combination of legal and illegal stay equalling 14yrs, without getting a removal order there is a good chance you can get ILR.

http://www.ncadc.org.uk/resources/residence.html

slowly these people are coming out of the wood work claiming ILR.

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

the bill has a second reading on the 29th of jan:
    That's because they have to read it twice to understand the big words.

Surely Brown has hit total rock bottom now!!

http://news. bbc.co.uk/ 2/hi/uk_news/ politics/ 7835302.stm

Al.
    Pressed rat and warthog closed down their shop!

your right there Al, no one really knows whats going to happen ........... , everything will take longer and cost more, i think thats all we need to know

Respected Member
    that is crazy, how can anyone afford to pay int fees for 10yrs ? many are not at uni, but working full time, and how can you study for 10yrs ?

a good one is the 14yr rule, where if you manage to overstay for 14yrs or a combination of legal and illegal stay equalling 14yrs, without getting a removal order there is a good chance you can get ILR.

If you look around you can find cheap 1 year part-time courses, especially at London colleges. And yes most people wouldn't study for 10 years, but most of the international students who do this are not doing it for the academic side.

I agree the stay illegally for long enough and you can stay here legally rule is crazy as well.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flomike View Post
    hello to all. I am ready to apply for my naturalization before end of the month finally. Getting a referee is not that easy as I thought bec some people are not willing like my GP bec she said she only knows me as a patient not personally well, as I only see her may be thrice in a year. My husband knows a few people who are qualified but of course again they don't know me personally they know me as his wife.

To those applying for naturalization soon, you have to be sure that the referees you are thinking will vouch you as some a bit hesitant to give their personal details even they know you already.

Anyway, I got my operations manager to be my referee as I am working there for 4 years now and a friend of ours who works as a public servant. I just want to ask if there's a new form for naturalization (spouse of brits citizen) what I have now is FORM AN October 2008 is that the right one, any help please? I hope this changes won't affect me when I submitted mine this month.

Good luck to us.
    This is a very good point, especially as the referees should have known you for three years. Which as a spouse of a British Citizen trying to apply as soon as possible would mean that it's someone you've known literally since the day you arrived in the UK if not before. Doctors are very reluctance to this nowadays as they tend to only know patients medically.

We were limited for options too when my wife applied as like you many of my friends are qualified to act as referee but didn't really know my wife well enough. My wife's friends (who I tend to know a lot better than my wife knows my friends) are luckier as they have me to sign them - did my first one last year (the wife of a certain moderator on this board...) and I'm sure it won't be my last.

The October 2008 form is the latest one, and no the changes won't affect you if you apply this month.

Best Thing to do is ........

Save money incase the payment went up for ILR and citizenship

Do training/voluntary work more than 30 hours in a year

Or work to do all those lol coz if working u can save money and do dont need training or voluntary work anymore lol.

And read here about it and always be informed and read the home office websites

And still married to your husband/wife dont forget about that coz thats one of the requirements lol

I have just heared it from a friend and didnt know if its true but since I have read it here its believable then.Hope it wont affect us Wife who is now on ILR status but to be honest it didnt bother me much to apply or not to apply for british citizenship but just wonder whats the advantage side for becoming a british national apart from having the right to vote...
    to loved and beloved is the greatest joy on earth...

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Daddy View Post
    I have just heared it from a friend and didnt know if its true but since I have read it here its believable then.Hope it wont affect us Wife who is now on ILR status but to be honest it didnt bother me much to apply or not to apply for british citizenship but just wonder whats the advantage side for becoming a british national apart from having the right to vote...
    I wouldn't particularly count the right to vote as a real advantage.

The main advantages are the ease of travelling (no longer need visas to travel to a lot of places), and even if you decide at some point to go back and live in the Philippines for many years you could always easily return back to the UK and have access to any benefits (income support etc).

The advantages of getting it is as soon as possible is it won't get any cheaper or easier in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Daddy View Post
    Good point there Mrs Daddy.

Of course how the Goverment intend to change the system will decide what is sensible in the future. But for many at the moment to be A british resident rather than a citzen is all they need. A citzen can vote and also will find it easier to visit many major countries without need of a Visa.

But for many who are of course tied to Phill and as many on here write may wish to return with Family in laters years some find it simpler to be a uk resident at present and keep phill citzenship otherwise you have to go though the paperwork with the phill embassy to get a dual citzenship.

From what i read when word first came out about this possibly over a year ago, the goverment were trying to stop being just being a resident and become a Brit if they intend to stay here. Also I think they want it easier within the framework of the euro human rights act to take away peoples right to live in the UK.

This is a major change and would be intresting to read what the experts on visas and what not summarise from the bill as it stands.

Written this before but many of the colleges only do half day lessons some very early some late in the evening so people can hold down a job.

But as you say I know that many schools have been inspected in London and many are now appealing as the inspectors marked them down which means most likely they will not be able to assit people with visas etc.
    Although it seems many get a second chance to be regraded so will probably scrape though.

My Wifes first manager was on a student visa. Unbelivable amount of study at any time, work the rest of the time. But ten years is a little long i think for anyone, but they know if they can hold on then they are sorted..

Respected Member
    But for many who are of course tied to Phill and as many on here write may wish to return with Family in laters years some find it simpler to be a uk resident at present and keep phill citzenship otherwise you have to go though the paperwork with the phill embassy to get a dual citzenship.
    Reclaiming the phil citizenship isn't a big deal (at this point you should be so use to sorting out this sort of stuff anyway...). Just turn up at the embassy (no appointment needed) with the form, photos, naturalisation certificate, passport, etc and £36. Takes a few hours including the oath taking ceremony.

Reclaiming the phil citizenship isn't a big deal (at this point you should be so use to sorting out this sort of stuff anyway...). Just turn up at the embassy (no appointment needed) with the form, photos, naturalisation certificate, passport, etc and £36. Takes a few hours including the oath taking ceremony.
    Out of intrest is it the same as their orignal phill citzenship (ie what they had before) im sure i read there was a slight difference with regard land ownership. I read you can stand for election which i doubt will concern many. But there was talk that there may be some legal issues where your rights may not be recognised in the eyes of the law?

Seen all the phills hanging around charing cross i presume waiting to return to collect paperwork.

Dont forget if you need the CR some in traflgar square and a tescos if you need a cheap snack.

edit now im confused further reading says you can stand for election

The Philippines to Allow Dual Citizenship

February 9, 2004 -- Recently passed legislation in the Philippines, entitled "The Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003", gives native Filipinos who have lost their Philippine citizenship by naturalizing as citizens in a foreign country the opportunity to reclaim their Philippine citizenship. By reacquiring Philippine citizenship, these individuals will gain dual citizenship, as well as be able to vote in Filipino elections and hold office in the Philippines. Unmarried children, under 18 years old, of native Filipinos who re-acquire citizenship shall be deemed citizens of the Philippines as well.

Individuals who are interested in attaining dual citizenship will need to appear at the Philippine Embassy in the country of naturalization with the following documents:
    Birth certificate or legal document of citizenship in the Philippines
    Valid foreign passport
    Documents evidencing a name change by adoption, marriage or divorce (if necessary)

As we are looking at geting the Missus Brit citzenship we want to make sure its the right move for the long term.

For example how does he affect inheritance of land etc?

so whats the advantages of having a british citizen and only having a permanent residency here in UK?

aside from you dont need a visa if u want to go to others countries and aside from u can vote ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information