Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    actually i thought only filipinos are like that of attitude but my indian workmate have the same complaint that some indians are snobbish specially if they are Brits already or they think they are rich

i would say im not snobbish but im not very friendly either when i see pinoys in diff places i just smile at them if they smile back good but if not who cares. there's loads of pinoys where i live now so that's enough headache lol

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewiz View Post
    actually i thought only filipinos are like that of attitude but my indian workmate have the same complaint that some indians are snobbish specially if they are Brits already or they think they are rich
    lol

HMMMM... THAT'S WHAT WE CALL INGGIT! Pulling each other's hair!

Respected Member
    my wife here in philippines said same about pinoys that have been to uk and came back to philippines a lot of them think there better than average pinoy ,lol we do try to get on with anyone,i said to my wife about meeting pinoys in uk and she said its ok i have you (me) thats all i need pinoys who are abroad think thay are a lot beeter than normal pinoys becouse thay have got out philippines ( that was my wife saying that not me)NOT ALL PINOYS ABROARD ARE LIKE THAT SO DONT HAVE A GO AT ME OR MY WIFE gaz/maybs

I am not very friendly, you have to smile at me first before I smile at you. talk to me first before I talk to you. You just won't see me initiating a conversation, but I really don't have any problem talking to people just that they have to talk first ha ha.. I wish to have many friends when I am in the UK hopefully soon so think I should change this attitude. I will try my hardest to be friendly and start smiling ,saying hellos specially to my fellow filipinos.

When i go out shopping with my husband and see women who look like pinays, he'll go near and ask them if they are pinays, some will speak to you and some says "no i'm thai".

Been here for almost 2 yrs now and still don't have Filipino friends near the area I tried. God knows, I've tried but I experienced the same. Snobbed. Ignored. Judged. Although, I have 2 friends here in the UK (they were already my friends way back home), the only time I could hear from them is by phoning them 'coz one lives in Eastbourne, the other one lives in Nottingham and me...I live in Leeds.
    In my opinion, I think for many filipino newcomers here, it's psychological. The thought of being on our own in a foreign land, we tend to be sad so we seek friendship & comfort to someone like us with hopes that they will tell us their experiences here and give us all the information we need to know as someone who is just new in the UK. Knowing another filipino is here, the " I-am-not-alone factor" gives us the sense of getting through all this . I know most of us here have husbands who are just there to comfort us and stand by us but sometimes, we're not sure they feel what we feel because UK is their birthplace, they don't experience a culture shock nor having to learn the local slang, the weather etc. etc. To us, this is not just an ordinary holiday trip. We left everything behind us and are starting a new life here. For filipinos being known as hospitable, it is indeed disappointing to encounter such filipinos who would treat us as if we have a communicable disease especially when they've learned we're wives of some british guys. I wonder why
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

Respected Member
    although i have seen it said on this forum "why do your friends have to be philippino instead of any other nation" i do understand that because i did,nt find myself going out of my way to speak to every british person out in the philippines.Having said that ,if i lived in the philippines i would welcome some conversation from a fellow brit. but i think singkit has explained very well why she desires to have philippino friends and its a damn shame she has been snubbed by her fellowmen.

Quote Originally Posted by singkit View Post
    Been here for almost 2 yrs now and still don't have Filipino friends near the area I tried. God knows, I've tried but I experienced the same. Snobbed. Ignored. Judged. Although, I have 2 friends here in the UK (they were already my friends way back home), the only time I could hear from them is by phoning them 'coz one lives in Eastbourne, the other one lives in Nottingham and me...I live in Leeds.
    In my opinion, I think for many filipino newcomers here, it's psychological. The thought of being on our own in a foreign land, we tend to be sad so we seek friendship & comfort to someone like us with hopes that they will tell us their experiences here and give us all the information we need to know as someone who is just new in the UK. Knowing another filipino is here, the " I-am-not-alone factor" gives us the sense of getting through all this . I know most of us here have husbands who are just there to comfort us and stand by us but sometimes, we're not sure they feel what we feel because UK is their birthplace, they don't experience a culture shock nor having to learn the local slang, the weather etc. etc. To us, this is not just an ordinary holiday trip. We left everything behind us and are starting a new life here. For filipinos being known as hospitable, it is indeed disappointing to encounter such filipinos who would treat us as if we have a communicable disease especially when they've learned we're wives of some british guys. I wonder why
    Well explained Singkit.

Do you have friends who have similar backgrounds but not pinoys? My Wife has pinoy friends but like you say relates to many recent arrivals to the uk who are non phill.
    LIke you say you can relate to being away from home.

Hopefully on here you will meet some people who live near by? Piamed and his lovely Wife live in Leeds I belive.
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Well explained Singkit.

Do you have friends who have similar backgrounds but not pinoys? My Wife has pinoy friends but like you say relates to many recent arrivals to the uk who are non phill.
    LIke you say you can relate to being away from home.

Hopefully on here you will meet some people who live near by? Piamed and his lovely Wife live in Leeds I belive.
    Nope, AndyPaul. I don't have friends with similar backgrounds. But I do have friendly relations with my colleagues. I treat this as my blessings. Working is the next best thing ever happened to me here in the UK because atleast I can have a little chat with my them aside from my hubby who, like you do, been worrying about the clothes shop and shoes store
    A winning horse doesn't know why it runs in a race.
    It runs because of the hits of pain.
    Life is a race. God is your rider.
    So if you're in pain,
    then think God wants you to win

Quote Originally Posted by singkit View Post
    Nope, AndyPaul. I don't have friends with similar backgrounds. But I do have friendly relations with my colleagues. I treat this as my blessings. Working is the next best thing ever happened to me here in the UK because atleast I can have a little chat with my them aside from my hubby who, like you do, been worrying about the clothes shop and shoes store
    Working for the Missus was the best thing that ever happened to her in the UK apart from living near the west end of london and all those shops

She met many of her phill friends though various work places. A few though friends of friends.

One thing is for sure when you are least expecting it your make the ideal friends
    Oh lord why did you make so many clothes and shoe shops

Newbie (Restricted Access)

I have noticed the change in people too. When I came to this country 15 years ago, there weren't many Filipinos around then and everyone wants to get to know each other and say hello if they recognise that they are also Filipinos. Now that there are a lot of Filipinos around with nurses coming to the UK, that has gone. I guess people are just becoming wary of others as I know what its like being too involved in the community... lots of backstabbing, gossips and show offs which are just pathetic. The most genuine people are usually the ones that have been here for a long time... but this is just my experience.

Banned
    Interesting topic.
    We have just returned from mass, and there is always a good few pinoys there.
    None of the ones in this town act snobbish at all. We are very lucky to have such a community. Perhaps it's partly down to the size of our town.
    I was shocked when I went to London by the aloofness of Pinoys to one another
    in general.
    I see things a bit different now, thanks to some of the posts on here.
    Yes, it's true, when we whities are in the P.I. we don't approach all the other banyagas we see.
    I even get a bit bored when the Pinoys assume I want to meet other Euoropeans
    or Yanks. How do I politely tell them I'm not in the slightest interested in their business at all.
    An example was when I was in Mindoro last year. I used to play pool/billiards
    most days at a pool hall down at the beach.
    A German guy had a big house nearby. I was constantly being told about him. "Gunter this, Gunter that, Gunter has a VERY big bahay, big car, plenty money, etc."
    One day I bought some cloth and made it into a Mangyan 'bahag', which is
    a simple kind of loincloth really. It covers the family jewels and not a lot else.
    I duly got stripped off, changed into the 'bahag' and onto the motorbike to visit
    the pool hall.
    When I rode into the place, the Filipinos looked in shock for a few seconds until
    I announced, "I bet you Gunter's not got one of these??!!!??!!"
    Well let me tell you, the whole barangay was in hysterics. Word got around, and
    it seemed the whole local population wanted to witness this "White Mangyan" All that is, except the German! Heehee!
    I no longer try to persuade Lyn to approach strangers now if she doesn't want to.
    Thanks Gunter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information