Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Filipino Nurses fleeced of their Remittances

Filipino Nurses Fleeced out of their hard earned Salaries - UK Remittance companies fronts for Filipino crooks in Makati.

MANILA, Philippines — The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Thursday warned overseas Filipinos to avoid sending their earnings through six transfer companies, citing complaints of undelivered remittances.

NBI officials issued the warning as they charged seven executives of one of the companies, Far East Express Remittance Philippines Inc., with “syndicated estafa" (fraud) before the Makati Prosecutors’ Office.

Head Agent Arnel Dalumpines, chief of the NBI Special Task Force (STF), said the company failed to deliver a total of P842,404 remitted by migrant workers based in the United Kingdom to their families in the Philippines just recently.

Charged were as Josephine Alayon, general manager and treasurer of Far East Express; Adan Ubando, chairman and president; Jerome Ubando, Lalaine Ubando, Edwin Ong, incorporators; lawyers Roberto Nio, corporate secretary; and Ma. Pilar Gutierrez, assistant secretary.

According to the charge sheet, the case stemmed from the complaints of Winnelea Agapay of District 2 in San Manuel, Isabela; Evansuida Valentin of 1148 Angeles, Pampanga; Carol Bendanillo of barangay Ligas in Bacoor, Cavite; Maria Reynon of barangay Zone 16 in Tala, Caloocan City; Norma Gimeno of 2242 P. Binay St. in Bangkal, Makati; Carlito Jaro of Ramylu Drive in Tangub, Bacolod City; and Marina Jardiel of 482 Mapalad Highway in Sta. Rosa, Nueva Ecija.

In a letter to the city prosecutor, NBI Director Nestor Mantaring minced no words in accusing the company of wrongdoing.

“Contrary to the purpose, Far East Express Remittance Philippines Inc., instead of helping our OFWs, victimizes our modern day heroes who endure everything just to earn money for their family and children," he wrote.

Special Investigator III Darwin Francisco said Filipinos based in the UK contacted the bureau after reading about the fraud charges filed by the Task Force last month against the same company for allegedly failing to deliver a Filipina nurse’s money to her family in the Philippines.

Francisco was referring to the complaint filed by Linie Namoca of Antipolo, Rizal, who told the NBI that her sister Lizle sent from London last April the amount of 3,800 sterling pounds (about P316,000) through London-based AJ Global Services Ltd. But it never reached her.

Francisco said that the new complainants claimed that between May and August, this year, they also sent through AJ Global Services Ltd. money ranging from P28,423 to P379,854 to their respective families in the Philippines.

The remittances were supposed to be deposited to the complainants’ respective savings accounts.

According to Francisco,.Far East Express Remittance Philippines is located at 9th floor, 9B Valero Tower Condominium, 112 Valero St., Salcedo Village in Makati.

Francisco said the bureau has expanded its probe to four other remittance firm, citing similar complaints.

The other remittance companies under investigation by the bureau are Phonecard Warehouse Limited, Smart Express Padala Limited, Swift Cash UK Limited, and Woodland Property Investment (Europe) Limited.

“There are reports that several remittance companies are victimizing Filipinos abroad by failing to remit their hard-earned money," said Francisco.

He warned overseas Filipinos not to send money though these companies at for the meantime so as not to avoid falling “victimize."

“We are advising all OFWs not to invest their money in these companies at the moment. Our information tells us that they are all being owned by the same group of people that we filed charges against last month," he said. - GMANews.TV

Thank you po!

london well away from those people up norf
    Surely soon they have to regulate remittance companies. One of the biggest risks any of us takes is to trust a company gives our money back or to our loved ones.

why are people still using these companies
    sending your hard earned cash to a unregulated company

only use major banks like PNB or BPI

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    why are people still using these companies
    sending your hard earned cash to a unregulated company

only use major banks like PNB or BPI
    Have a look at what actual protection and rights you have when you send the money even via a regulated bank.

I did with the Wife and you have very little come back it seems and due to the fact two countries are used blah blah.

If they deny the money has been given to them or they say it has been given out. what would you do? Possibly get your creit card company involved if you use a cc.

From what i read the bodies that regulate will rarely get involved for an indivual cases.

I have with several different companies had times where the money could have been taken by them and it would have been very hard to get the money back with out a huge fight if they decided to nick it or it got lost in the system etc.

i had problems once with PNB, they said they never got the money i sent to their British bank account, long story, but i contacted my bank, as the British bank PNB used wouldn't tell me, even if they had got my money , my bank said they would trace the money, and guess what, when i told PNB this, the money turned up

i think you have definitely got more chance of getting your money back from a big regulated bank (banking code, financial ombudsman) .. than someone who's running a remit company from their home

This discussion will be of interest to many of us, it seems to me, that is an absolutely vile and despicable act that our poor Filipino Nurses would work long hard hours on our hospital wards, to remit their hard earned salaries, and lets face it, would you really want to wok on NHS Hospital wards, our Filipino Nurses are the very best, they deserve all our support, without them our NHS would not work.

I am so proud of them, I had reason to go to A&E recently, I have had a terrible pain and complaint, its not easy to get seen these days, I was treated in hospital, who were there ? our outstanding British Filipino Nurses, again, who does the hard work ? yes you guessed it, they do.

So they take their salaries, which by our standards are not that great, and remit it to their families, whilst doing so, they then proceed in good faith to pay a fee to have their money transmitted to the host bank, or to Cebuana Lhuillier, or similar receiving organization, the last thing they need to know, is that the money has been embezzled by these crooks in the Philippines.

There is no protection for their money, the Philippine government really does need to step in and underwrite these remittances from OFW.

It does represent $14 Billion dollars a year, and growing as well, I doubt whether they could give such a guarantee, however, using 3rd party remittance companies in UK which are set up by Filipinos who come into the country for this purpose, is a vile and despicable act.

The best way it seems to send money, is to effect a transfer by cash over the counter into the account of PNB Europe, by the way, were you all aware they bank with Barclays Knightsbridge, London.

For those that live in London, ( i am sorry this may not be a great help to those who live in other parts of the country) you can go into Barclays Bank Knightsbridge and deposit into their account direct, obtaining your receipt.

Once having done so, you can then issue an instruction to PNB to send accordingly, they cannot say they have not received the money, and by the way, the PNB Europe is regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the UK, remember any money deposited with PNB is underwritten by the treasury.

How can PNB then say they have never received the money, another way to ensure your loved ones receive the money is to let your beneficiaries obtain the Gobal Fiipino money card from their respective local PNB branch in the Philippines, we have successfully used this method of transfer for 4 years, never had a problem, the money is always there instantly or within 24 hours, and for £1.00 you can even have the money collected at Cebuana Lhuillier, this is also convenient for your beneficiaries to receive, if its an inconvenience to get to PNB main branches in the cities.

Apparently my representative in the Philippines tells me, there is always a ginormous queue to get money from the branch, and when you do show up, you have to bribe the guard to get to the front of the queue or to get you into the queue.

I think lessons have to be learned about sending your hard earned money, especially in this financial climate, but at any time, best wishes to everyone with thier Christmas remittances.

Banned
    Thanks for the info and advices Mr. Moderator. The Remittance agent we have used recently is one in the list that underinvestigation. So its good that I read this post then I can warn my Fiance to not to use that agent anymore, especially soon he will send money for my visa fee. Another remittance agent that we used before was the Iremit, but so far we did not have any problem.
    Thanks again.

Banned
    I still think that www.xoom.com is by far the most reliable way of depositing or cash delivery to the Philippines, or anywhere else for that matter.

It may not be the fastest or the cheapest, but it always got there for us.
    And it is trackable every step of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ginapeterb View Post
    This discussion will be of interest to many of us, it seems to me, that is an absolutely vile and despicable act that our poor Filipino Nurses would work long hard hours on our hospital wards, to remit their hard earned salaries, and lets face it, would you really want to wok on NHS Hospital wards, our Filipino Nurses are the very best, they deserve all our support, without them our NHS would not work.

I am so proud of them, I had reason to go to A&E recently, I have had a terrible pain and complaint, its not easy to get seen these days, I was treated in hospital, who were there ? our outstanding British Filipino Nurses, again, who does the hard work ? yes you guessed it, they do.

So they take their salaries, which by our standards are not that great, and remit it to their families, whilst doing so, they then proceed in good faith to pay a fee to have their money transmitted to the host bank, or to Cebuana Lhuillier, or similar receiving organization, the last thing they need to know, is that the money has been embezzled by these crooks in the Philippines.

There is no protection for their money, the Philippine government really does need to step in and underwrite these remittances from OFW.

It does represent $14 Billion dollars a year, and growing as well, I doubt whether they could give such a guarantee, however, using 3rd party remittance companies in UK which are set up by Filipinos who come into the country for this purpose, is a vile and despicable act.

The best way it seems to send money, is to effect a transfer by cash over the counter into the account of PNB Europe, by the way, were you all aware they bank with Barclays Knightsbridge, London.

For those that live in London, ( i am sorry this may not be a great help to those who live in other parts of the country) you can go into Barclays Bank Knightsbridge and deposit into their account direct, obtaining your receipt.

Once having done so, you can then issue an instruction to PNB to send accordingly, they cannot say they have not received the money, and by the way, the PNB Europe is regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the UK, remember any money deposited with PNB is underwritten by the treasury.

How can PNB then say they have never received the money, another way to ensure your loved ones receive the money is to let your beneficiaries obtain the Gobal Fiipino money card from their respective local PNB branch in the Philippines, we have successfully used this method of transfer for 4 years, never had a problem, the money is always there instantly or within 24 hours, and for £1.00 you can even have the money collected at Cebuana Lhuillier, this is also convenient for your beneficiaries to receive, if its an inconvenience to get to PNB main branches in the cities.

Apparently my representative in the Philippines tells me, there is always a ginormous queue to get money from the branch, and when you do show up, you have to bribe the guard to get to the front of the queue or to get you into the queue.

I think lessons have to be learned about sending your hard earned money, especially in this financial climate, but at any time, best wishes to everyone with thier Christmas remittances.
    It has always amazed me that remittances from OFW's are such an important part of the Philippines economy and yet the Philippine government have never sought to organize any sort of structure through their overseas embassies and overseas banks to help their OFW's (heroes) to send their remittances simply, safely and inexpensively.
    Iain.

Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    It has always amazed me that remittances from OFW's are such an important part of the Philippines economy and yet the Philippine government have never sought to organize any sort of structure through their overseas embassies and overseas banks to help their OFW's (heroes) to send their remittances simply, safely and inexpensively.
    Iain.
    Then again, I suppose anything that had anything to do with the Philippine government would have include some element of tax of course and it would have to be overly bureaucratic as well, as is everthing else that involves the Philippine government. (a tax on remittances, now there's a frightening thought. It's a wonder they haven't thought of that already)
    Iain.

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    i had problems once with PNB, they said they never got the money i sent to their British bank account, long story, but i contacted my bank, as the British bank PNB used wouldn't tell me, even if they had got my money , my bank said they would trace the money, and guess what, when i told PNB this, the money turned up

i think you have definitely got more chance of getting your money back from a big regulated bank (banking code, financial ombudsman) .. than someone who's running a remit company from their home
    Yes i agree in theory you have but with out writng war and peace. When a Remittance was cocked up recently with a certain bank when i looked at what was to happen with the Wife and what our options were.

Ie not pay fees to have it rediverted due to a mistake they made.
    That or simply prove it was paid in. In a bank of course you get a slip or in theory online you get a receipt and a trail with your card statment.

The Wife wrote a stern Email or two and the matter was dealt with but I think that was partly down to the good will of the Bank who at first were not very helpful.

Look how many companies operate with the you pay into the bank and then let them know where to send, a huge amount of trust is required.
    If there are lawyers on here it would be intresting to know what your rights are once you pay some money into a Account what rights you have to that money?
    Its like me saying Joe I paid 200 pounds in your account can you now send on to Pete please?
    If you say oh I thought that was a gift to me from you. Where do I stand?

All though the Banks are regulated if operating in the UK by the Banking code and FSA what are there rules and UK law on sending money outside of the country. the FSA will not help indivuals only deal with major issues affecting many people.
    There are no codes of practise or schemes that Remittance companies can belong to that hold much sway in the UK or if there is no Remiitance company i have dealt with seems to advertise the fact.
    They may well in the end send the money or admit to having it. But if they send to the wrong account or there is a delay it can cause great harm to those waiting for the money. So waiting for banks to grind into action could take days, weeks or even months if really unlucky. Dont forget weekends and holidays could add a lot of time to any enquires.

For the majority of British people in the street, remittances are a mystery and I doubt there are very few regulations or laws due to until recently lack of a major market. The only ones i know are in regard to security and laundering nothing to do with protecting the users.

Many of the people using remittances have used very small companies or those particular to their nation or area. I know many Indians in my local area use a system which is totally unregulated and all done by money changers again all down to trust. Much is not declared for tax reasons.

The DFID which is next door to the Queens london residence and has a handy selection of Bus maps in its reception (usless fact of the dday from Andy) has a site with some info

http://www.sendmoneyhome.org/Content/Instructions.php

but little about law and what to do if you have a problem.

Also with remittance what law covers what part of the transaction?

you have the UK, possibly another country where the money is processed or the company is based then the country your sending it to.

All three or possibly four countries may have differing laws and regulations.

You try sueing a major phill bank In phill. May the force be with you.

Bangladesh seem to be looking at laws

http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.co...s&news_id=3605

I think as remittances start to drop in vaule and quanity, the phill goverment would have it in their intrests to regulate as much as they can.

If they said they would regulate the practise, and set up a scheme then many would have a far simpler time. If the major companies knew with out membership they would have less customers they would join up. Also as most have a phill presense they can regulate them easily.

Saying that i do remeber a poster mentioning that by law, a person who remits to phill who is a Phill citzen should keep all the slips as they could be taxed or at least be audited. Wheter this was true or not i dont know.
    But this maybe one reason why the major companies shy away from regulation, knowing that many would simply risk the smaller companies to avoid any taxation?

something that everyone needs to be aware of is there are no regulations for remitance companies. the transactions are 100% based on trust.

If you do not trust the company, dont give them money.

There is no way foreign exchange can be regulated like the stock exchanges the markets are international and 100% unregulated.

yes folks, even *****.com can stop trading any time it likes and pocket all the cash

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ginapeterb View Post
    [B][U]

The other remittance companies under investigation by the bureau are Phonecard Warehouse Limited, Smart Express Padala Limited, Swift Cash UK Limited, and Woodland Property Investment (Europe) Limited.

“There are reports that several remittance companies are victimizing Filipinos abroad by failing to remit their hard-earned money," said Francisco.

He warned overseas Filipinos not to send money though these companies at for the meantime so as not to avoid falling “victimize."

“We are advising all OFWs not to invest their money in these companies at the moment. Our information tells us that they are all being owned by the same group of people that we filed charges against last month," he said. - GMANews.TV[/COLOR]
    I do not know if this is just a coincidence or what.

My Fiance just transfered cash to Swift-Cash UK Ltd. thru their Barclays Bank account.
    After he transfered the cash I contact the Swift-Cash to inform them that this person Mr.xxxxxxxx transfered money to account. Then he (Swift- cash) acknowledge it that he saw the money is already there in their Barclays account then after that he say that money will not be delivered until Tuesday.
    So I was surprised why its takes 3 days.
    The reason they gave me was because they were having a problem with the Barclays Bank and therefore the money that supposedly send to the Philippines last week it did not arrive to the Philippines yesterday.
    So I told him , why then he did not tell me earlier before my Fiance transfer the cash to their account. Then the reason he gave its just he forget to tell me.

It is strange because I have used this company when I was in England, but so far there was no problem, they do their 24 hours home delivery service.

Quote Originally Posted by baboyako View Post
    something that everyone needs to be aware of is there are no regulations for remitance companies. the transactions are 100% based on trust.

If you do not trust the company, dont give them money.

There is no way foreign exchange can be regulated like the stock exchanges the markets are international and 100% unregulated.

yes folks, even *****.com can stop trading any time it likes and pocket all the cash
    Exactly if you read the T and C's of a lot of Companies remittance and otherwise much is down to pure faith and trust they will do as requested.

The international markets could be regulated if the countries get together.

Having a look at wikipedia a few countries have agreements.

The UK and Phill if they sat down and make some rules, regs and agreements could have a system totally covered by joint laws.

Just a lot of effort i guess.

I dont think many in power would relish helping it easier to move money out of the UK at the moment as if picked up they would get battered.

Lets say 10 billion leaves the UK each year in remittance (an estimate on the low side i owuld have thought) with ex pats with pensions abroad and ofws in the UK. it almost wipes out what the city makes in money from abroad.

More likely to see rules restricting money going out of the country before making it easier and safer IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by simplelife View Post
    I do not know if this is just a coincidence or what.

My Fiance just transfered cash to Swift-Cash UK Ltd. thru their Barclays Bank account.
    After he transfered the cash I contact the Swift-Cash to inform them that this person Mr.xxxxxxxx transfered money to account. Then he (Swift- cash) acknowledge it that he saw the money is already there in their Barclays account then after that he say that money will not be delivered until Tuesday.
    So I was surprised why its takes 3 days.
    The reason they gave me was because they were having a problem with the Barclays Bank and therefore the money that supposedly send to the Philippines last week it did not arrive to the Philippines yesterday.
    So I told him , why then he did not tell me earlier before my Fiance transfer the cash to their account. Then the reason he gave its just he forget to tell me.

It is strange because I have used this company when I was in England, but so far there was no problem, they do their 24 hours home delivery service.

Oh thanks, Swift-Cash delivered the money within 24 hours. I was told yesrterday that it might take 3 days to deliver the money,but it arrived today. I phoned them yesterday that if they will disappoint us this will be the last time we will use their service.

Thread Information