Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Respected Member

Another application form for my stepson???

hi again everyone! sorry if this has been asked before. but my wife just found out that we need another application form to be filled up for my stepson, is this true? if so do we need another set of documents for him?

i will send other supporting documents that needed for our application on monday, so i need to know asap... please, please, please...

i take it your wife is applying for a spouse visa, so how old is your stepson ?

simple answer is yes, you need to fill in an application form and pay a fee for each person who is applying for a visa. thou they can send their apps together.

you should have evidence that his mother has 'sole responsibility for her son and that you can support them both without recourse to public funds, and some where for them both to live without being overcrowded.

Respected Member
    thanks joe.
    well, my stepson is 4 years old. we don't have legal documents to prove that she has sole responsibility but since they were never married and my stepson never met his father.. and my wife doesn't know his whereabouts for more than 3 years now. we are hoping that photos, school credentials, certificate of employment of my wife and a letter of support from her and me will do.

is the father named on the childs birth cert ?

hi adam & chryss,

no problem about your stepson just explain in additional information sheet of the application form why u need to bring the kid here...i manage to bring my 2 kids here and no other set of documents needed just their birthcertificate. acknowleged by father or not is still ok...goodluck!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    is the father named on the childs birth cert ?

yes, and he is using his father's name. but he never support him financially even when my wife gave birth. they had limited communication during my stepson's 1st year but after that the father's totally gone.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    hi adam & chryss,

no problem about your stepson just explain in additional information sheet of the application form why u need to bring the kid here...i manage to bring my 2 kids here and no other set of documents needed just their birthcertificate. acknowleged by father or not is still ok...goodluck!
    thanks jta, gave us a big hope

to jta, 'acknowleged by father or not is still ok', not always true, if the child has contact with the father, then there could be problems,the last thing the embassy want is to be 'piggy in the middle' btw 2 parents .

courts have recognised that where a parent has not made any contribution to a child's life, s/he may be seen to have abdicated responsibility and cannot possibly be considered to have "sole responsibility"

so you shouldn't have a problem , but small chance, be prepared for an interview, just in case they ask you about his father.

http://www.iasuk.org/C2B/document_tr...ID=398&CatID=1

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs View Post
    to jta, 'acknowleged by father or not is still ok', not always true, if the child has contact with the father, then there could be problems,the last thing the embassy want is to be 'piggy in the middle' btw 2 parents .

courts have recognised that where a parent has not made any contribution to a child's life, s/he may be seen to have abdicated responsibility and cannot possibly be considered to have "sole responsibility"

so you shouldn't have a problem , but small chance, be prepared for an interview, just in case they ask you about his father.

http://www.iasuk.org/C2B/document_tr...ID=398&CatID=1

YES, U are right Joebloggs but i'm only answering adam's specific case that the father was no longer in contact of the kid...as long as ECO satistisfied of the explaination i'm sure it will b ok..

Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    YES, U are right Joebloggs but i'm only answering adam's specific case that the father was no longer in contact of the kid...as long as ECO satistisfied of the explaination i'm sure it will b ok..
    and your right, most of the time there are no problems with bringing step kids to the uk, the only time its not straight forward is when there is still contact with the other parent, but a letter from them saying they wish their child to live in the uk helps alot .

Respected Member
    I posted here advice from the Immigration Advisory Services.

They told me that, to prove sole responsibility, it would be helpful for the mother to submit doctors receipts and school receipts where the mother has signed. It would also help greatly if the mother is the only one taking care of the child.

One other reason for this, that is not mentioned here, is that the ECO may be concerned that, once the child is settled in the UK, the estranged parent will try to settle in the UK on the back of their child's settlement visa. That is another reason that they want to be convinced there is no support from the estranged parent.

Sorry if that makes little sense, I am typing from the workplace and have to be a bit careful.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post
    I posted here advice from the Immigration Advisory Services.

They told me that, to prove sole responsibility, it would be helpful for the mother to submit doctors receipts and school receipts where the mother has signed. It would also help greatly if the mother is the only one taking care of the child.

One other reason for this, that is not mentioned here, is that the ECO may be concerned that, once the child is settled in the UK, the estranged parent will try to settle in the UK on the back of their child's settlement visa. That is another reason that they want to be convinced there is no support from the estranged parent.

Sorry if that makes little sense, I am typing from the workplace and have to be a bit careful.
    thanks ady, well yes we will provide school receipts, but i don't have doctor's receipts because his pedia is not producing one well even my OB... we're only receiving prescriptions from our doctors... i guess that's my mistake i should have asked for receipts.

chryss

Quote Originally Posted by Ady View Post

i wouldn't have thought they could give you this as a reason to refuse your step kid a visa, i'm sure the gov would lose every time at a AIT hearing.

that is

248A. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to remain in the United Kingdom to exercise access rights to a child resident in the United Kingdom are that:
    (i) the applicant is the parent of a child who is resident in the United Kingdom; and
    (ii) the parent or carer with whom the child permanently resides is resident in the United Kingdom; and
    (iii) the applicant produces evidence that he has access rights to the child in the form of:
    (a) a Residence Order or a Contact Order granted by a Court in the United Kingdom; or
    (b) a certificate issued by a district judge confirming the applicant's intention to maintain contact with the child; or
    (c) a statement from the child's other parent (or, if contact is supervised, from the supervisor) that the applicant is maintaining contact with the child; and
    (iv) the applicant takes and intends to continue to take an active role in the child's upbringing; and
    (v) the child visits or stays with the applicant on a frequent and regular basis and the applicant intends this to continue; and
    (vi) the child is under the age of 18; and
    (vii) the applicant has limited leave to remain in the United Kingdom as the spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-gender partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom who is the other parent of the child; and
    (viii) the applicant has not remained in breach of the immigration laws; and
    (ix) there will be adequate accommodation for the applicant and any dependants without recourse to public funds in accommodation which the applicant owns or occupies exclusively; and
    (x) the applicant will be able to maintain himself and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds.

and if successful, i think they get a 12 month visa.

nice way to get your ex to the uk

Thread Information